Shots from Skye, Scotland

toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited April 12, 2008 in Landscapes
I thought some of the lucky folks going to Mull, Scotland in May might like to see what the nearby Isle of Skye looks like. I've just returned from a 3-day trip so I'll post pics up here as I process them.

I'm sure you'll absolutely love Mull. That part of the world, like Skye, is just amazing. Stunningly beautiful, barren, with amazing landscapes. Very friendly people as well.

Top tip - take really good waterproof boots, trousers, jacket, and gloves as well as a waterproof bag to keep your kit in. The weather is truly mad - sunny one minute, snowing the next, then fog, then sleet, then sun, then hail...repeat. Changeable is not the word. I used a ski jacket and "wicking" under-layers, and ski salopettes, as well as some hiking boots. All kit was gore-tex. It came in really useful when hiking out to some of the better spots.

The light was pretty poor most of the time, so there's quite a few monos, but here's a colour one to start with.

#1 This is just near Sligachan looking up to the snowy mountains beyond. To say the ground is damp is an understatement! Definitely need above-ankle boots to avoid getting soaked.
273010289_yJ85e-L.jpg

#2 This is a few hundred meters downstream from the last shot. Same mountain, with the Sligachan river in the foreground. Cool clouds. Sun was from over my left shoulder, so the colours & light were OK but it looks so much nicer in mono.
273012855_UtUkA-L.jpg

#3 Here's Elgol beach with the Cullin mountains in the background. The snow added a lot to the scene. I doubt there will be any in Mull in May, but you never know...
272033062_NJ5jM-L.jpg

#4 Castle Moil just over the harbour from our hotel in Kyleakin. I had 1 minute to get the ND grad on and grab this before the light moved off. Lucky seagull too.
272033122_tKKAB-L.jpg

More to come...

Tobers

Comments

• Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I cant wait to goclap.gifclapclap.gif your images make Scotland look ever more enticing. Keep em comingdeal.gif
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    You'll love it Marc. Here's some more...

#5 Two abandoned boats. The foreground one is obviously a wreck. The background one looks like a lovely 40' luxury yacht but it's a decaying shell which looks like it has been moored & abandoned for years. Shame.
    272033460_V8E6q-L.jpg

#6 Elgol beach again.
    272033250_7eqqm-L.jpg
  • will-jumwill-jum Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Love all of them, nice work!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I'm with Marc! I'm thrilled to go as it is, but now I'm thrilled +5. :D

Thanks for sharing!
    edited April 1, 2008
    #7 This is from the climb up to the Old Man of Storr on the northeast of the Island. Not the best light but you get an idea of the beauty of the place. I got this one inbetween snow and hail showers. 3 bracketed shots merged in Photoshop with layer masks.

273021932_y7Ktz-L.jpg
    edited April 8, 2008
    Here's 2 more for you, and a recommendation that you look at this thread on the AVForums site where the guys who went to Skye have posted all their pics.

Portree Harbour
    272033192_JGRXG-L.jpg

Sligachan Bridge
    272033415_KwcLr-L.jpg

Cheers!

Tobers
  • imonkimonk Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Fantastic
    Great shots Tobers. I've been to Mull years ago and I agree, it's a beautiful place. I love your shots though and I'll take this opportunity to say I love your galleries too. I have them in my favourites and I often click on the wee thumbs up for your work because it's so damned good!

Thanks for posting these.
    Ian
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    The images are breathtaking! I'm dieing to go there. Now if I can find someone that wants to sponsor my trip, I'm accepting donations rolleyes1.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I am actually quite like this, waiting to go. 1 month and 1 week! (I could be like Skippy and count the sleeps...)
    >:splat

I love all these photos that you're sharing here. Thank you!
    edited April 8, 2008
    @Ian - thanks! Much appreciated.

@Travis - did you check out the pics from the other guys on the AVForums thread I linked to? There's some truly stunning shots there, from lovely silky watery landscapes to mad infrared graveyards.

@Schmoo - tick tick tick...bet you cant wait!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    tobers wrote:
    @Ian - thanks! Much appreciated.

@Travis - did you check out the pics from the other guys on the AVForums thread I linked to? There's some truly stunning shots there, from lovely silky watery landscapes to mad infrared graveyards.

@Schmoo - tick tick tick...bet you cant wait!

You'e killing me.... passport in desk drawer... bank account empty :cry
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Wow. Amazing shots of what looks like an amazing place. I can't wait to get back over there someday.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Lot of power to be found in these. #1 very nice.
    Michael
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    omg eek7.gif
    you have some really amazing shots- kudoz!!
    great set- nice eye! clap.gif

thanks for sharing!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I can smell the peat
    Great wonderful shots that remind me of our time there 15 years ago. In fact, you just inspired me to pour a neat shot of Talisker.

M

:slurp