Canon 30D acting up.

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited March 31, 2008 in Cameras
Hey ho, my 30d has been acting up a few times now, in for repair at canon's place in norway for the third time now. In Norway we have a "three strikes out" thing with repairs, if you have repaired a thing three times, you can demand your money back, so I'm considering doing that.. Not that I'm not happy with my 30d, but it is annoying that it just won't stay fully functional. (Lots of err99 and total blackouts).

So i started thinking. In norway prices for used canon 1d MK II cameras are at about the same level as the 40d.. And those are, as I understand it, far better weather sealed. So i was thinking in those lines. I also considered just buying an used 30d for now, and wait for a 5d replacement which is hopefully fully weather sealed...

so.. any ideas? :P

Ulrik
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 31, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Hey ho, my 30d has been acting up a few times now, in for repair at canon's place in norway for the third time now. In Norway we have a "three strikes out" thing with repairs, if you have repaired a thing three times, you can demand your money back, so I'm considering doing that.. Not that I'm not happy with my 30d, but it is annoying that it just won't stay fully functional. (Lots of err99 and total blackouts).

So i started thinking. In norway prices for used canon 1d MK II cameras are at about the same level as the 40d.. And those are, as I understand it, far better weather sealed. So i was thinking in those lines. I also considered just buying an used 30d for now, and wait for a 5d replacement which is hopefully fully weather sealed...

so.. any ideas? :P

Ulrik

Understanding that a couple of your current lenses will not work properly on the 1D MKII, I would tend to recommend the Canon 40D.

The 1D MKII and the 50mm and the Sigma 70-200mm would be sweet, but I don't think those are weather sealed lenses so it kind of defeats the purpose of a more weather sealed body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Understanding that a couple of your current lenses will not work properly on the 1D MKII, I would tend to recommend the Canon 40D.

The 1D MKII and the 50mm and the Sigma 70-200mm would be sweet, but I don't think those are weather sealed lenses so it kind of defeats the purpose of a more weather sealed body.

True that, the 1.3 crop will give me quite the vignetting on both the 12-24 and the 18-50 :/ But is the weather sealing on the 40d much better than the 30d? I'm just.. confused now:P
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Take a look at this.It will explain the features of the 40D