What did I do wrong here ?

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited April 1, 2008 in Technique
I'm just curious why i got such a big difference in these two photos.... If anyone has theories, please share.... the only think i can think of right now is that the camera too the metering reading in two different spots.

both photos were shot with D70s and 50mm 1.8D lens @f/1.8, spot metering, servo-focus.

these are straight out of the camera - don't mind the photos, they're in the reject pile anyways...:

#1 - (OK exposure)
273077946_H9r3X-L.jpg

and

#2 (crap exposure)
273077925_8RRYu-L.jpg

Did I spot-meter on the wrong part ??? :dunno :dunno :dunno I noticed a few images came out like this from the shoot.

THanks guys and gals!

Comments

• timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    My guess is the sensor was looking at the man's white shirt in the first pic (as it's the only "normally" exposed part of the pic), and the black space a bit to the left on the second shot.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    One argument for not 'trusting' auto settings and using Manual settings (not that I do!). Seems a bit touchy in this case, though.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • MagicAuraMagicAura Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2008
    I'm totally new here, but since it's on a stage with lots of changing light could it have just been a switch in their light? Like... they turned off a set and turned on a different set? Did that make any sense?
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    MagicAura, that's a good guess, but not the case here. He had the camera doing the metering for him, so if the lights changed, the camera would have picked up on it. Your idea would have been more likely right had he been in "manual" mode.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Raphy,
    In a scene like this, I'd not use spot metering unless you really mean to. Matrix metering will give you better exposure for the scene.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Also unlikely for what appear to be cast shots for a single number. I done a lot of theatre in thirty years and it seams unlikely they'd change the lights while having someone shoot what appear to be lobby shots or shots to sel the cast afterward.

These appear to be from on stage.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Spot meter for faces. Then plug those settings into the camera in Manual.
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Lesson learned... after i get a good exposure, i'll make sure to switch to manual and go from there... given that the lighting did not chenge much in this case !

Cheers !
  • anderivanderiv Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Raphy wrote:

Lesson learned... after i get a good exposure, i'll make sure to switch to manual and go from there... given that the lighting did not chenge much in this case !

Cheers !
    Raphy - the other option is to start using the exposure/focus lock button. Set the "spot" on an area of the scene that's not too dark or too light (I frequently use someone's face), hold down the exp. lock, re-compose the frame, then shoot. I use this technique quite frequently and get pretty good results.

Sure - as others have mentioned, shooting in full manual is probably the best choice, but using the exposure lock is a good intermediate step perhaps?

-Erik
    Erik Anderson
    http://andersonfam.org
    http://andersonfam.smugmug.com
    D70 | SB-600 | Nifty Fifty | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6G
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Raphy wrote:

Cheers !
    Once you start shooting manual more often. You'll find yourself never trusting auto settings of any kind.

You'll eventually get to the point where you can expose a shot within a stop or two, then chimp to fine tune. This also makes it SOOO much easier in post, since all your images are exposed the same (or in groups when you changed exposure settings) you can fine tune one shot, then apply the change to all the images. Then it's just a matter of a tweak here and nit there and all done thumb.gif
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I agree with timk519 and everyone else on the metering, especially since the center of the image seems to be on the shirt in #1 and on the jacket in #2, but I wanted to throw out one more possibility: Were there audience members using flash photography? If so, is it possible that someone else's flash fired at the same time as your exposure?
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    PhilCollum wrote:
    If so, is it possible that someone else's flash fired at the same time as your exposure?

This is a possibility, as there was a photographer using flash... but i would think that TOO MANY of these shots came out this way that it just can't be a coincidence ... ne_nau.gif

Also, I've noticed that on the D40 (using all manual and non-metering lens) all my shots were fine. I was using a D40 with a 135mm lens and my D70s with 50mm (using spot metering)

THanks agian everyone ! thumb.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Looking closely it appears to me that in the second image you focused on the guy in the back row, behind the guy in the leather jacket. It's darker in the back row, so the camera would have accommodated the lower light level and overexposed the front line.

edit: actually you moved the camera a degree to the left, focusing on the black spot stage right, below the blue light.