Options

Feature request: domain name email

Pete291Pete291 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited April 26, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello

I got my custom domain name PeterDeCamp.com through GoDaddy. When I asked for an email account "Pete@PeterDeCamp.com" they said that it was not possible yet with Smugmug clients and that I should contact Smugmug about this.

Any thoughts about when this will be available?

Pete291

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    That's not right :)
    I'll ask Markham to clear it up w/ Godaddy.

We don't do email, but they do.
    In fact, I have my email through godaddy, as well as my domain :) But SmugMug has nothing to do with it, I'm afraid to say.
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    You should have a 100Mb mail boxe with your GoDaddy account. See Denise's post:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88617
  • Options
    photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    godaddy and email
    I have an email with mine that matches my domain name. I neglected to set it up until recently :bash. I just went over to the email section of Godaddy and set it up, I had the credit from the purchase of my domain.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    NYPhotographerNYPhotographer Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I've looked it up and you should have an email.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    Yes, we're checking on our end but really, what you need to do is tell Godaddy you want email thumb.gif

It's what I did a couple years ago, I host all my domains on Godaddy.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, we're checking on our end but really, what you need to do is tell Godaddy you want email thumb.gif

It's what I did a couple years ago, I host all my domains on Godaddy.

Hi Pete...

I got your Private Message about this topic again. You have a domain w/ Godaddy. If they charge again for email, that's up to them, I'm so very sorry :(

I can't control what Godaddy charges, for email I wish I could.

You can easily add email to your Account on Godaddy.
  • Options
    Pete291Pete291 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Pete...

I got your Private Message about this topic again. You have a domain w/ Godaddy. If they charge again for email, that's up to them, I'm so very sorry :(

I can't control what Godaddy charges, for email I wish I could.

You can easily add email to your Account on Godaddy.

I don't mind being charged. I cannot set up email at all. It's impossible, they say, with the type of account I have.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Pete291 wrote:
    I don't mind being charged. I cannot set up email at all. It's impossible, they say, with the type of account I have.
    Give us another business day to have a chat with Godaddy. Sorry about the hassle :(
  • Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Pete291 wrote:

Yes, I am working with GoDaddy to fix this. Turns out that we actually need to modify the terms of our agreement before they can allow this to go live. That should be done this week.

When it is available GoDaddy will give you credits in your account to allow email.

Stay tuned.
    Markham
  • Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Pete291 wrote:
    Hello

I got my custom domain name PeterDeCamp.com through GoDaddy. When I asked for an email account "Pete@PeterDeCamp.com" they said that it was not possible yet with Smugmug clients and that I should contact Smugmug about this.

Any thoughts about when this will be available?

Pete291

Ok we are all good to go.

GoDaddy is now offering 1 free email account to all SmugMuggers that buy a domain name. Go check it out: www.smugmugdomains.com

Thanks,
    Markham
  • Options
    vaio2006vaio2006 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    You know, I just use GOOGLE APS to use my own domain.
    Basically google Apps gives you a free email address using the Gmail interface...

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

And you can practically have as many email addresses as you want!
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Ham1 wrote:
    Ok we are all good to go.

GoDaddy is now offering 1 free email account to all SmugMuggers that buy a domain name. Go check it out: www.smugmugdomains.com

Thanks,
    Markham

Sweet, but there is a broken link on that page. On the right side on step three where it says "click here to go to your control panel" the link is

https://smugmug.com/homepage/settings.mg?settings=professional

but it should be

https://www.smugmug.com/homepage/settings.mg?settings=professional

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    vaio2006vaio2006 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    scwalter wrote:
    Sweet, but there is a broken link on that page. On the right side on step three where it says "click here to go to your control panel" the link is

but it should be

-Scott
    either one works for me
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    scwalter wrote:

but it should be

-Scott
    Hi Scott, working fine for me - you must log in or be logged in to get there.
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Scott, working fine for me - you must log in or be logged in to get there.

Okay, it's not actually a broken link, it's a security warning... You guys must have trusted smugmug.com this in the past, I have not. The issue is that the security certificate is for *.smugmug.com, and apparently smugmug.com is not covered by the *.

Here's what I get in IE7

283821167_oYFXC-O.png

and here in FF3 beta 5 (I know, I know, betas not supported)

283821154_TkfXL-O.png
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Just want to throw my two cents into the mix here. Ditch the godaddy provided email account and sign up for Google Apps for your domain. Then you can have a you@yourdomain.com email address (and more than one)... and have it fueled by the amazing gmail engine. Plus when you set up your domain w/ google apps you can also get access to google docs, google sites, google calendar and more for your domain. Just a thought. I can give you tips and pointers on how to configure that with a godaddy domain if you do change
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 26, 2008
    Ditching the Godaddy email account is not necessary. I use Godaddy email to forward all of my emails to my Gmail account automatically and I use Gmail to respond using the address the email was sent to. And that is using multiple domains. One for my FD domain, one for my photography domain, and others.... It works perfectly and my customers are none the wiser.

I also use Google Docs, Calender, and the other features. If you have a domain that allows email forwarding, and a Gmail account, there is no reason not to use them together.

Even better, I have my Godaddy email address keep a copy all of the emails sent to me. That way if I ever need to go back and recover a lost email, I have it. I have also used the Godaddy email account to send important emails while Google was "experiencing technical difficulties"

Google Apps is pretty cool but a friend of mine has had nothing but trouble with their linking of email, web hosting, domain hosting, and other stuff together. His explaination to me was something along the lines of putting all of his eggs in one basket being a problem. His plan is to move back to Godaddy for domain/web hosting and keep using Gmail for the other stuff.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com