Options

Chess anyone?

photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited April 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
After reading some articles over on Strobist and seeing the work of djspinner2k I had to try my hand at this. C&C welcome and wanted.

The setup...well let just say this was thrown togther using things around the house. The chess board was suspended between two of the kids chairs. A bathroom towel was placed under it to darken the image. The light was provided from a 100 watt tungsten light bulb...yes a table lamp with a 100 watt bulb wrapped in foil. The lights in the room were turned off. I used a speedlite on some of them but not all. Color was added by adjusting the white balance.

272642409_SWFiy-S.jpg

272645863_mfsAt-S.jpg

272657202_bF33C-S.jpg

272649843_pCJjT-S.jpg
"Make it don't take it!"

Jason

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Nice set shots. Cool lighting. thumb.gif Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    That is too cool! I might have to try that sometime!
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    Thanks...and it is easy.
    B Rock wrote:
    That is too cool! I might have to try that sometime!

B Rock,
    Thanks for the feedback. IF you go over to my site and then over to the blog there is description of how I set it up. I am planning to recreating it and clean a few things up. Nothing major just some problems with my set up. What I learned from it was that I don't have to have studio equipment to get great results. All I have to do is just stop and think my way through it and then be willing to experiment.

PhotoJ
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    I'm not quiet sure I understand the placement of the towel. Care to elaborate? If the towel is under the board and the light is below that not much light will be allowed through right?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    Towel
    B Rock wrote:
    I'm not quiet sure I understand the placement of the towel. Care to elaborate? If the towel is under the board and the light is below that not much light will be allowed through right?

The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy highly recommends that you always carry a towel... Oh sorry wrong question. :D

The towel is hanging down from the chair to hide the yellow and provide a dark background for shooting. Picture the two chairs sitting with their backs together and the chess board on top. The towel is draped across the back of one chair and wraps around like a C, if you are looking top down at the set up, to the other one. The towel itself is hanging down to the floor hiding the chairs. It forms a column or a shade of sorts that helps direct the light up to the board. That way when I shoot from the top and on level you do not see the yellow chairs. Depending on the size of your chairs you might need two towels or a larger piece of material. I was using a couple of chairs from the kid’s activity table so they were smaller.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    photoj wrote:
    The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy highly recommends that you always carry a towel... Oh sorry wrong question. :D

The towel is hanging down from the chair to hide the yellow and provide a dark background for shooting. Picture the two chairs sitting with their backs together and the chess board on top. The towel is draped across the back of one chair and wraps around like a C, if you are looking top down at the set up, to the other one. The towel itself is hanging down to the floor hiding the chairs. It forms a column or a shade of sorts that helps direct the light up to the board. That way when I shoot from the top and on level you do not see the yellow chairs. Depending on the size of your chairs you might need two towels or a larger piece of material. I was using a couple of chairs from the kid’s activity table so they were smaller.

Ahhh. I get it now. Thanks for explaining!