Two portraits

sodjdobesodjdobe Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited April 4, 2008 in People
Here are two recent photos that I made. I was using a large beauty dish with 500W reflector, one nikon sb28 for fill, and one nikon sb26 flash for a hair light.

Would like to hear your opinion!

IMG_9976potn.jpg

IMG_9518POTN.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    #1: :wow

clap.gifclapclap.gif

Regards.
  • DesignsmithDesignsmith Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    They are both fantastic! Good use of DOF in #2. I like the light in the models’ eyes, but it is almost too much I think. To large a highlight. It’s just a bit distracting. Great job of lighting otherwise. What lens did you use and did you do any post?

Keep up the good work and show us more of it. Thanks for sharing.
    DS

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
    -Marcel Proust

Sony A100: Dician VG-1 grip: Made Products Camera Armor: Sony 18-70 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 50 f1.7: Minolta 28-80 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 7-210 f4: Sigma 70-300DL f4-5.6:
    Cambron 2x converter: Minolta 3500xi: SanDisk Ultra II 2GB x6: Lexar Pro 8GB x3: Cokin filter system: PSP X2:
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I like them, too -- you definitely filled the frame! Nice catch lights and flattering light.

Two thoughts, though. They are both dead square on and centered; I'd like to see more creativity in the frame. Also, the b&w conversion is kind of low contrast throughout the skin tones; is that what you were looking for? I'd be tempted to go back to the conversion and try to pull out a little deeper toning there.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Nicely lit! I like them both. I'm sure these are just previews and you have more frames tucked away somewhere, sure would like a series!
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    If you post photos like that you've got a problem...you have to teach the rest of us what you are doing. I'm all ears...

What is your website?

These are both well done. I love the composition, the exposure, the eyes, the post production. Great job.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
  • sodjdobesodjdobe Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Hey!

Thanks for a nice response! I sure have more of them and Ill post the as soon as I am done with retouching. It takes me quite a long time to finish one photo. I know there are some people that dont like clean, perfect skin, retouched eyes, and so on...but thats the look that I am going for, so please, look at the pictures from this point of view!

Just wanted to tell you that, because I get a lot of "the skin looks plasticky" replies. What do you think about the retouching? I am trying to preserve the pores and textures as I retouch as much as I can.

Thanks again!

sodjdobe
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Cover shots, both.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Love them both!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Wow, they are both really good!!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    sodjdobe wrote:
    ... I get a lot of "the skin looks plasticky" replies. What do you think about the retouching? I am trying to preserve the pores and textures as I retouch as much as I can.

I did wonder briefly about the skin texture in #1, but I don't know anything about the glam shot market and what works there. I would be interested to hear what others have to say. ear.gif
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
  • sodjdobesodjdobe Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thanks again for the comments! I appreciate it!

Oh, forgot to mention my blog that schatch asked about. I dont have a real website I just have a blog, one is english and one in my native language - slovene. I rarely update the english one so you can visit the slovenian one and if you want to know something just ask in english.

MY BLOG

Thank for looking!
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Wow... Very nice thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX