Local band shoot

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited April 1, 2008 in People
The band is called "Remain Nameless"; they're out of Baltimore. A friend of mine, who is a talent manager, asked me to go to one of their shows and shoot them. The had me all over the stage, taking shots from weird angles to use on their next album.

This was my first time to do something like this. I'm hoping to get some faster lenses so I can make better use of the ambient light, but my 430EX did a good job of lighting without burning because it's aimable.

Just thought I would share. I'm hoping my next attempts will turn out better.

Funny thing is that I have no clue what they sound like, because I was concentrating on shooting, not listening!

265147265_uN6xY-L.jpg

265148053_Sv57U-L.jpg

265149757_xhm7B-L.jpg

265153536_rA5Bg-L.jpg

265155810_jBqfM-L.jpg

265158699_UgUYB-L.jpg

265156215_R3jTp-L.jpg
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Overall, I think you did a good job, under probably difficult lighting. You've got some interesting perspectives. I little too much crotch in a few of them -- personally I'd crop just above, but I guess it depends on what you are trying to feature. The color looks a bit off on the third from the bottom. (numbering them would be nice)
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Brad - I fixed the post for you and included numbers.

thumb.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Not a bad set! You shot from a below-perspective a lot, which is good, but don't forget to cover the overhead-perspective! You should always find a way to get a picture of the crowd along with the band in order to catch their vibe and provide a feel of the set. It's always good to convey feeling in concerts because there's plenty of it. Make it dramatic, shoot everywhere, wait for right moments such as the chorus/hook of the song when artists usually put more effort into it. Also, you can try using more output in your flash to prevent underexposing images, this is hard to do in dark rooms but when the ceilings are white in smaller venues, its always good to aim for the roof!

Try to remember: overhead, below, up-close, crowd, and feel!

Cool series! Thanks for sharing!
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    Not a bad set! You shot from a below-perspective a lot, which is good, but don't forget to cover the overhead-perspective! You should always find a way to get a picture of the crowd along with the band in order to catch their vibe and provide a feel of the set. It's always good to convey feeling in concerts because there's plenty of it. Make it dramatic, shoot everywhere, wait for right moments such as the chorus/hook of the song when artists usually put more effort into it. Also, you can try using more output in your flash to prevent underexposing images, this is hard to do in dark rooms but when the ceilings are white in smaller venues, its always good to aim for the roof!

Try to remember: overhead, below, up-close, crowd, and feel!

Cool series! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

If I could have climbed above, I would have, trust me!

I didn't shoot from the audience because the amps and mike stands were too distracting.

Also, the stage and floor were TINY! It's a little hole-in-the-wall place. Very cozy, but not conducive to good shooting.

Crowd? Ha! There were MAYBE 30 people watching. It was a 'local' band night, so there weren't too many people in attendance.

Angelo--Thanks! Next time I'll number them.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    #2 is pretty darn cool! :D I like it a lot. Especially considering it was not posed and during a concert. Good job!