Options

What happened to this

2»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 7, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    First, by controlling, think what is mean is getting it wide enough that everything you want in focus is in focus, but the background (or forground if there is any) is out of focus.

It basically is influnced by two things; how wide (small number) the aperture. 2.8 is better thn 4.5 (better meaning narrower depth of field; background more out of focus. and the length of the lense. A 200 mm lense will throw the background out of focus better than a 50 mm lense.

some lenses are said to have beter bokah (out of focus area). Cheaper lenses will be a bit choppy.

Actually, focal length does not influence DOF IF the subject is the same size in the images - like LiquidAir said . A 28mm lens does not really have more DOF than a 400mm lens - it just seems like it, because we use them differently - one to minimize the foreground, and one to maximize the subject.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Actually, focal length does not influence DOF IF the subject is the same size in the images - like LiquidAir said . A 28mm lens does not really have more DOF than a 400mm lens - it just seems like it, because we use them differently - one to minimize the foreground, and one to maximize the subject.
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    It basically is influnced by two things; how wide (small number) the aperture. 2.8 is better thn 4.5 (better meaning narrower depth of field; background more out of focus. and the length of the lense. A 200 mm lense will throw the background out of focus better than a 50 mm lense.

Here is the catch, at the same magnification the 50mm and the 200mm will have the same DoF, but the 200mm lens will throw the background further out of focus than the 50mm because it has a larger aperture. Aperture size = focal length / f number, so a 50/2.8 lens has an 18mm aperture and a 200/2.8 lens has a 72mm aperture. Depth of field is only a description of the behavior of a lens near the focal plane. Once you start talking about things that are a long distance from the focal plane, you need to know a lot more than just the DoF to predict the behavior. So, if you want extreme blurring of the background you should use a telephoto lens, but if you want a soft blurring you are better off with a fast medium to wide lens. Either way, the range of distances which are in focus will be the same; the focal length is just affecting how blurry the background gets.

The other thing to be aware of is the hyperfocal distance which gets closer to the camera as the focal length gets shorter. If your subject distance is farther than about 1/3 of the hyperfocal distance, then the relationship between f-number, distance, and focal length gets considerably more complicated.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    LiquidAir,

Good explanation of the difference between the OOF area of a wide angle versus a telephoto, when the subject is the same exact size at the image plane.

In the real world of course, the subject is usually NOT the same size when shot with a 28mm and a 400mm lens:D

• Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    LiquidAir,

Good explanation of the difference between the OOF area of a wide angle versus a telephoto, when the subject is the same exact size at the image plane.

In the real world of course, the subject is usually NOT the same size when shot with a 28mm and a 400mm lens:D

Shortly after I got my 35/1.4 I took this shot an an experiment in DoF at f/1.6:

ISO 100 f/1.6 1/2000s
    114243862_mb2ed-L-1.jpg

The focus distance is less that 2 feet, the DoF is very shallow, and yet the background is still recognizable. If I had take a shot with the same magnification with the 135/2, the background would have been obscured beyond recognition. It was a surprise to me at the time and I had to do some research to figure out why.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Good demonstration - there is out of focus, and then there is Out Of Focus!!

You are certainly correct that telephotos cause much more dramatic, out of focus, backgrounds..

Here is a shot at 700mm at f 7.1, and the blurred background behind the great northern shrike is only about 50 feet behind the bird.

259976166_hMrU8-L.jpg

And here is one shot at 44mm with a G9 at f8 or - ~ 95mm in 35mm according to smugmug.

Notice how the background 11 miles away is still discernable even tho out of focus.

252951624_axMky-L.jpg

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I take all my photos in Manual Mode. I usually keep my focal point centered. Now if I didn't do that -- would that effect the bokah? I would think so.

I do have a problem with one other photo I just took. It was of two Geese flying in front of a bunch of trees. The focal point was on a Goose, but the trees are clear to. Why? My setting were:

Shutter - 1/1000
    Aperture - 5.6
    ISO - 400
    Focal Length - 240mm

Then another photo of some ducks flying I got some bokah...not the best, but noticeable. With this my settings were:

Shutter - 1/1250
    Aperture - 5.6
    ISO - 400
    Focal Length - 300mm

Maybe this information will help you with why I'm kinda having a hard time understanding and confused. I know with the photo I posted I was way off rolleyes1.gif I can post the photos if that would help. Just let me know.
    Go back to www.dofmaster.com and plug in your EXIF data and, while keeping in mind the distance from you to the trees, enter an estimate of the distance between the camera and the birds. I think you will find that your trees are well within the DOF obtained by your camera/lens/EXIF combination.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Who needs to know all this DOF stuff? Just do it all in your computermwink.gif And just buy cheap lenses and fix your Bokeh too!eek7.gif

http://www.dofpro.com/index.htm

So, I'm really just kidding. thumb.gif But this looks like a pretty neat software tool.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Dogdots . . .

This thread has some great advice from some very skilled experts. Here's my addition:

For me, I understand better when I have good graphical examples (pictures). I found this tutorial site that gives some photo examples that match up nicely to your original shot. Particularly view the 3rd & 4th page of the tutorial.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2006/08/17/Digital-Camera-Tutorial-Aperture-Depth-of-Field/p1

Good thread everyone! thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Wow...a program to do all the work and you don't have to even worry about DOF. I wonder what the learning curve is on that program rolleyes1.gif John I also checked out your other link. I found it helpful, but then again it still confused me with my two photos. The only difference is 60mm which I suppose is alot in the photo world and then the distance from my subject. What I can remember is I was about 50-100 yds from the Geese and 25-50 yds from the Ducks. What am I missing in this? I've posted my two photos even though they weren't ask for....I hope that is ok. If not someone remove them.

275179991_Ea4d6-M-1.jpg

And my second photo

275175157_mxZmH-M-1.jpg

My understanding is that with my Geese photo I should have changed my f/5.6 to something else like maybe f/8 or more maybe. Am I correct or am I way off?

I thank you all for your help as I really want to get this down correctly and I hope I haven't been written off yet as a "lost cause" on this subject :D
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Go back to www.dofmaster.com and plug in your EXIF data and, while keeping in mind the distance from you to the trees, enter an estimate of the distance between the camera and the birds. I think you will find that your trees are well within the DOF obtained by your camera/lens/EXIF combination.

Scott...I played with it and didn't "get it", but then I went back again and entered the Ducks photo information I saw why it came out the way I wanted it. The numbers seemed to match up well.

When I re-entered my Geese photo info I saw I needed to change my f-stop to f/8 to F/ ? that is where I get confused. In the dofmaster do you look at the near limit, far limit or total? I can't quite get it to match up right. Any suggestions on my reading of this? Maybe I have my distance off between me and the subject.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Wow...a program to do all the work and you don't have to even worry about DOF.

Only sort of... you have to build a depth mask so the program knows how far away everything is. Building a good depth mask is a lot of work. Personally, I think your are still better off gettting it right in camera when you can.
    Dogdots wrote:
    My understanding is that with my Geese photo I should have changed my f/5.6 to something else like maybe f/8 or more maybe. Am I correct or am I way off?

I thank you all for your help as I really want to get this down correctly and I hope I haven't been written off yet as a "lost cause" on this subject :D

What were you hoping for from each of these shots? The trees behind the geese were close enough to the focal plane to be within or at least very close to the depth of field. If you wanted those trees to be blurred you needed a significantly wider aperture. Give the short distance between the two the aperture requried to separate the geese from the trees would probably require a rather exotic lens (think 400/2.8).
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    The only difference is 60mm which I suppose is alot in the photo world and then the distance from my subject. What I can remember is I was about 50-100 yds from the Geese and 25-50 yds from the Ducks. What am I missing in this?

What you are missing is the distance between the animal and the background. Looks like the ducks are a lot farther from the background than the geese are. That is why you see bokeh in the duck photo and not in the geese photo.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:

Actually with your two waterfoul shots I don't believe its as complicated as it sounds. As someone else said, the ducks look to be farther away from the background (trees) than the geese. I don't believe a change in f# would have done much for you.

Sometimes the scene and shooting conditions will control the final result more than your camera controls.

As liquidair said:
    Give the short distance between the two the aperture requried to separate the geese from the trees would probably require a rather exotic lens (think 400/2.8).

And i'm not sure even spending the $7000+ on a lens like that would isolate the geese from the background.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    I'm so glad I posted the photos. I understand the difference now. My Geese were close to the trees and the birds were further away from from their background.

John W, I agree with you that the scene and shooting conditions can sometimes control the results. Bummer that the Geese were so close to the trees....it would have been a better photo if there had been some bokeh in the background so they didn't blend in so much. Maybe next time they will fly alittle further away from the trees for me :D

Liquid Air...I could never learn that software program :D Sounds just to complicated, but it looks like a good tool to have if needed.

As for a $7000 lens. Ha...I only use that type of lens in my dreams :D
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    :deadhorse

Here's a simple diagram that may help you out

C = Camera
    S = Subject
    B = Background
    Y = Camera to Subject distance
    X = Subject to Background distance
    C -------------- S -------------- B
             Y              X

All else being held constant, the larger the value of "X/Y", the more out of focus will the background be.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008

All else being held constant, the larger the value of "X/Y", the more out of focus will the background be.

Ooooo, Scott . . . . nice job simplifying a concept that's hard to describe with words!
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    :deadhorse

Here's a simple diagram that may help you out

C = Camera
    S = Subject
    B = Background
    Y = Camera to Subject distance
    X = Subject to Background distance
    C -------------- S -------------- B
             Y              X

Ouch...I get the idea I'm beating a dead horse or you feel you are by my questions. Sorry about that.

Your simple diagram is very simple and to the point which I understand now. Thank you for taking the time to post it.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Ouch...I get the idea I'm beating a dead horse or you feel you are by my questions. Sorry about that.

Your simple diagram is very simple and to the point which I understand now. Thank you for taking the time to post it.
    No, that was me thinking that the topic had been pretty well covered but I just had to get another $.02 worth in. I'm sorry for the confusion and I hope I didn't offend. I really wanted to help. I'm glad the diagram helped.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    No, that was me thinking that the topic had been pretty well covered but I just had to get another $.02 worth in. I'm sorry for the confusion and I hope I didn't offend. I really wanted to help. I'm glad the diagram helped.

Oh no...you didn't offend :D My thoughts were I offended you with my inability to grasp this.

Your diagram turned the light bulbs on and I got it wings.gif While I got it somewhat with the link to the tutorial on Aperture and Depth of Field I was still missing something. So your extra $.02 was worth a million to me.

Thank - you.