Options

How long is the trial period?

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited July 26, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I only ask this because I have had some folks who used my referral code to sign up for SM in Dec. of 2006 and they are still listed as "Trial". Man I could have stayed on trial since I signed up back then and still not have paid?
But really... I've been able to pay for my account the lat 2 years by using my referrals... Im hoping this will continue for another year...

Comments

• Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I only ask this because I have had some folks who used my referral code to sign up for SM in Dec. of 2006 and they are still listed as "Trial". Man I could have stayed on trial since I signed up back then and still not have paid?
    But really... I've been able to pay for my account the lat 2 years by using my referrals... Im hoping this will continue for another year...
    I've noticed that too.. Does SM turn off the ability to upload? or..?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Trials are 14 days. Sorry that we don't remove expired trials from your referrals list.

No, folks with expired trials can't upload photos. But we'll happily extend a trial for folks, if asked, but not for months or years :)
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Trials are 14 days. Sorry that we don't remove expired trials from your referrals list.

No, folks with expired trials can't upload photos. But we'll happily extend a trial for folks, if asked, but not for months or years :)
    Thanks Andy... now if you can direct some more potential SM'ers my way I'd appreciate it.... oh what... you do...

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1801307#118526631
    and
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2006/01/21/customizing-success-story/

Thanks Andy
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but I was just looking through my referrals list and I noticed that I have the same issue as the OP.

So, am I correct in assuming that a referral for a trial that is older than 14 days is a dead issue, they're simply not removed from our list of referrals?

Don't expired trial accounts get closed? I ask that because my list also shows a few with "CLOSED ACCOUNT" for the user name and "Closed" for the status of that referral. Don't we get credit for referrals on accounts that go beyond the trial period? Or are these closed accounts from people that opened an account without a trial period and didn't keep the account for a specific period of time?

Regards,
    Mick
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    micknewton wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but I was just looking through my referrals list and I noticed that I have the same issue as the OP.

So, am I correct in assuming that a referral for a trial that is older than 14 days is a dead issue, they're simply not removed from our list of referrals?

Don't expired trial accounts get closed? I ask that because my list also shows a few with "CLOSED ACCOUNT" for the user name and "Closed" for the status of that referral. Don't we get credit for referrals on accounts that go beyond the trial period? Or are these closed accounts from people that opened an account without a trial period and didn't keep the account for a specific period of time?

Regards,
    Mick
    They still show up in the list, because until they are closed, they can still become a 'paid account' and that will still give you the referral credit. After the trial period, and before they are closed, the accounts are 'inactive'. They are there, but photos can not be uploaded.

When the trial account is closed, it will disappear from your list.

"CLOSED ACCOUNT" shows when a referral credit was issued to you for an account that was opened and paid for, but later closed. If we (SmugMug) add a referral credit to your account for whatever reason, it shows that way, also thumb.gif

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have a question.
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Does that all mean that someone could open a SM account, upload 50GB of data, never pay for the account, and the photos would stay up forever?

What happens when people stop paying? Do the images stay up forever too? or..?

David
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Do the images stay up forever too?
    No.
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    They still show up in the list, because until they are closed, they can still become a 'paid account' and that will still give you the referral credit. After the trial period, and before they are closed, the accounts are 'inactive'. They are there, but photos can not be uploaded.

When the trial account is closed, it will disappear from your list.

"CLOSED ACCOUNT" shows when a referral credit was issued to you for an account that was opened and paid for, but later closed. If we (SmugMug) add a referral credit to your account for whatever reason, it shows that way, also thumb.gif

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have a question.
    Thank you for the reply. That helps, but it doesn't answer all of my questions.

Do we get the referral credit for accounts marked "CLOSED ACCOUNT"? In other words, if an account is opened, paid for some time, and later closed, do we still get the referral credit for that account? How long does an account need to be open and paid before we get the referral credit?

Regards,
    Mick