Greetings...

camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited April 1, 2005 in People
Greetings - I'm still in the process of setting up my Smugmug account for selling prints of cheerleading competitions that I've been coerced into shooting - my "real" work is typically fashion, glamour and fetish.

As an introduction, here's the first shot out of the batch from last weekend, when I flew out to Philadelphia for a shoot at the decaying Eastern State Penitentiary (built in the mid-1800's, closed in 1971 and left to decay).

DBP-ESPShoot-032605-0490.photo

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    Greetings back @ ya.
    Welcome and very nice 1st post.
    Please keep sharing.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    Hiya cambler, welcome aboard. wave.gif Cool website, your clothing stuff is really dramatic. I hope we can steal a bunch of your techniques for lighting!

BTW, as I'm sure you've figured out, this ol' place uses the same conservative content guidelines as smugmug.

Great to have you here, mate. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Hiya cambler, welcome aboard. wave.gif Cool website, your clothing stuff is really dramatic. I hope we can steal a bunch of your techniques for lighting!

BTW, as I'm sure you've figured out, this ol' place uses the same conservative content guidelines as smugmug.
    Yeah, that's why I'm using Smugmug for the cheerleading photography and not my other stuff. For that, I tend to order directly from EZPrints and then re-ship them. I also tend to get a lot more for those, so paying the 15% would be a costly chunk :):

I'd be happy to talk lighting or any other technique - I enjoy talking shop (and often annoy my wife with it when we go out with other photographers)!

Hopefully I can make enough time to customize my Smugmug galleries before cheerleading season starts up again in August cheerleader.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 30, 2005
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    yeah, welcome.

Provocatively cool ! Cool background too

Spelling isn't as sharp at 3 am
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    welcome!

awesome shot, i would've somehow done without the chair though.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    Welcome, looks like you come well equip for the job thumb.gif
    Excellent Image clap.gif
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    welcome!

This is the first image out of the set, which I'm working on right now. I shot 4 models this past Saturday at the site, and have a ton of material to triage. But this shot caught my eye while I was doing the lighttable, simply because I really dig the narrow depth from the f/1.4 that I was shooting.

But that's me :):
    edited March 31, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    welcome!

Why?
    edited March 31, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Why?
    i usually try to say the first thing that pops into my head when i look at something. if a picture is good, i like to say the things i dont like about it (if there are any) because then that person could maybe do it differently (possibly better) the next time. i love when people rip apart my pictures, it's how i learn.

for some reason, to me it seems like the chair draws a lot of attention to itself. maybe it's not broken down enough, maybe it's the color of it, maybe it's her position on it, i'm just not exactly sure. if i were doing the picture over, i'd probably just have her cover more of the chair, i think that would solve my problem, but i'm not exactly sure.
    edited March 31, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i usually try to say the first thing that pops into my head when i look at something. if a picture is good, i like to say the things i dont like about it (if there are any) because then that person could maybe do it differently (possibly better) the next time. i love when people rip apart my pictures, it's how i learn.

for some reason, to me it seems like the chair draws a lot of attention to itself. maybe it's not broken down enough, maybe it's the color of it, maybe it's her position on it, i'm just not exactly sure. if i were doing the picture over, i'd probably just have her cover more of the chair, i think that would solve my problem, but i'm not exactly sure.
    interesting observations and I simply wondered why you felt that way.

for me everything in the picture besides the model and her clothes have a monochromatic or themematic stylization to them. A very good balance of colors, textures, stone to steel contrasts, rust stains, angularity.... and I think they all enhance the presentation of the model who stands out quite clearly against the backdrop. This appears as a picture whose elements were all carefully thought out. IMHO.
    edited April 1, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    This appears as a picture whose elements were all carefully thought out. IMHO.
    very true, but i would've carefully thought it out differently. i really wish i could explain this more, but right now i just can't think of why i don't like the chair there.
  • canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    That's hot. Great work! Nice use of shallow DOF. My kind of pics.
    Looking forward to more.
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif