looking into wide angle Pentax lens..

petes99petes99 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited April 12, 2008 in Cameras
hi all,

I own a Pentax K100D.. currently armed with the stock lens and a 300mm Tamron telephoto from my Pentax 35mm SLR. For my regular shooting, these work great. However, I'm going on a trip to California soon (Yosemite, in particular) and have decided I want a wide angle lens for fun - landscapes primarily, but would love to be able to use it for macro shots as well.

Unfortuantely, I don't know much about what to look for. I see lenses from just over $100 to many, many times that. So.. if someone has a few minutes to spare, I'd love to know what I should be shopping for! Much appreciated!

pete :dunno

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Decent wide angle lenses for a Pentax system would include:

Pentax SMCP-DA 14mm, f/2.8 ED IF
    Pentax SMCP-FA 21mm, f/3.2 AL
    Pentax SMCP-DA 12-24mm, f/4 AL (IF)
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC

Of these I think the Sigma is a great value and I have one in the Canon mount.

Not much use for macro or close focus and I am not a fan of short focal length macro lenses because I prefer to have more room to position the light (usually a flash).

You could get a diopter lens for your "kit" lens like the Canon 500D in 52mm or the Hoya 2-element close-up adapter lens. These are really designed for a bit longer focal length lens, but they might be OK for now.

A much better macro solution is the Tamron SP 90mm, f/2.8 Di 1:1 AF Macro. Not cheap but very high quality and works fairly well for many portrait opportunities.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    petes99 wrote:
    hi all,

I own a Pentax K100D.. currently armed with the stock lens and a 300mm Tamron telephoto from my Pentax 35mm SLR. For my regular shooting, these work great. However, I'm going on a trip to California soon (Yosemite, in particular) and have decided I want a wide angle lens for fun - landscapes primarily, but would love to be able to use it for macro shots as well.

Unfortuantely, I don't know much about what to look for. I see lenses from just over $100 to many, many times that. So.. if someone has a few minutes to spare, I'd love to know what I should be shopping for! Much appreciated!

pete ne_nau.gif

My suggestion is to checkout these:

Sigma 10-20mm/4-5.6 EX
    Tokina 12-24mm/4.0 AT-X (it has the same optics as the Pentax 12-24/4.0)
    Tamron 17-50mm/2.8

all of them are very good lenses.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • petes99petes99 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2008
    thanks guys!

so, i think i've been under a wrong impression here. a macro lens would not necessarily fit the bill of a wide angle, and vice versa huh?

sorry for the dumb questions! i'm quite the amateur ;).
    edited April 2, 2008
    petes99 wrote:
    thanks guys!

so, i think i've been under a wrong impression here. a macro lens would not necessarily fit the bill of a wide angle, and vice versa huh?

sorry for the dumb questions! i'm quite the amateur ;).

Well yes thats correct. Pentax just announced a 35mm/2.8 Macro
    lens and altough its the widest macro it's not wide angle.

If you use a wide angle lens to shoot macro you will have alot
    of background in the image (simply because of the wide angle)
    which is not what you want in a macro image. The longer a
    lens is the better are it's background blurring capabilities. This
    means that the background is much less distracting than with
    a wide angle lens.

The first image was shot with a 300mm lens and the 2nd one
    with a super wide angle lens. Observe how much the wide
    angle includes in the background and how smooth the tele
    renders it.

2103448400_8797377821.jpg?v=0

504964913_315bffb674.jpg?v=0
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • SirfishalotSirfishalot Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Re: Pentax Wide Angle Options
    petes99 wrote:
    hi all,

pete ne_nau.gif
    Pete,
    Two other lenses in K-Mount that haven't been mentioned:
    1) DA 16-45/f4 is a superb lens that can be found for about $350 - 400. I have seen some closeup shots from it, but wouldn't go so far as to say the minimum focusing distance qualifies it as a macro lens. I can't speak first hand for this lens as I don't own it yet, but you can view many samples here:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax/smc_da_16-45_4_ed_al

2) Which I do own and find excellent and is also a macro lens is the Tamron 28-75 XR di II/f2.8. Maybe not quite as wide as you might want,but the image quality is very good. Its a bit heavy, but fast at f2.8 and very versatile. This is the one folks often accept in lieu of not being able to find or afford the legendary FA* 28-70/2.8 offering from Pentax. You should be able to find this relatively affordable also.

Hope this helps,
    JayT
    edited April 4, 2008
    2) Which I do own and find excellent and is also a macro lens is the Tamron 28-75 XR di II/f2.8. Maybe not quite as wide as you might want,but the image quality is very good. Its a bit heavy, but fast at f2.8 and very versatile. This is the one folks often accept in lieu of not being able to find or afford the legendary FA* 28-70/2.8 offering from Pentax. You should be able to find this relatively affordable also.

Hope this helps,
    JayT

The Pentax FA 28-70mm/2.8 isn't on the market anymore,
    so there could be alot of trouble (cost, missing parts) if
    you have to send it in for a repair. Also at around 1200-#
    1600€ on the used market it's not a steal. The Tamron
    28-75mm/2.8 is with 300€ much cheaper but opticaly very
    good.
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 7, 2008
    My kit lens is the Pentax SMC P-DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 .. should have posted that before. Would the Tamron 28-75 make a big difference?

I am learning that I know less and less the more I read. :D
    edited April 7, 2008
    petes99 wrote:
    My kit lens is the Pentax SMC P-DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 .. should have posted that before. Would the Tamron 28-75 make a big difference?

I am learning that I know less and less the more I read. :D

In terms of image quality absolutely. The viewfinder will
    be brighter. And altough you will loose a bit of focal length
    on the short end you will gain reach. 75mm/ at f2.8 gives
    you a nice little tele. thumb.gif
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 9, 2008
    ok! another question..

looking at the Pentax 12-24mm/4.0 .. its pricey for sure but clearly worth it from what I've read.

i found the Tokina model for quite a bit less, but its for a Canon mount. what does it take to make that work with my Pentax body?

thanks.. :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008
    petes99 wrote:
    ok! another question..

looking at the Pentax 12-24mm/4.0 .. its pricey for sure but clearly worth it from what I've read.

i found the Tokina model for quite a bit less, but its for a Canon mount. what does it take to make that work with my Pentax body?

thanks.. :D

Canon EF mount lenses will not fit on a Pentax body. The back focus distance of the Canon mount is shorter than that for Pentax. You would lose infinity focus on a simple adapter, not to mention no electronic compatibility whatsoever. (Modern EF mount lenses have no manual aperture ring.)

I do recommend either the Pentax SMCP-DA 12-24mm, f/4 AL (IF) or the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC.

Again, I have the Sigma (in Canon mount) and it is a very nice lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Canon EF mount lenses will not fit on a Pentax body. The back focus distance of the Canon mount is shorter than that for Pentax. You would lose infinity focus on a simple adapter, not to mention no electronic compatibility whatsoever. (Modern EF mount lenses have no manual aperture ring.)

I do recommend either the Pentax SMCP-DA 12-24mm, f/4 AL (IF) or the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC.

Again, I have the Sigma (in Canon mount) and it is a very nice lens.

thank you! good info :).

so i think we've got it down to the Pentax and the Sigma.. a debate which i just came across over on DpReview, as well: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=16607378

and the digging continues!
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    SMC 12-24 is great
    I've been using the Pentax 12-24 for the past six months. It has become my favorite lens. I tend to be a prime lens shooter, but the image quality of this model has displaced my old flame, a Pentax A 24mm 2.8. Not too heavy, outstanding build quality, only criticism is some purple fringing that is fixable with software. The 77mm filter size is expensive, and you really need a high quality, thin UV filter to protect this lens.
    I have heard mixed reviews about the 10-20 Sigma, mostly corner sharpness issues. I also admit to being cautious about Sigma-branded lenses--some models are excellent, but others have shaky build quality to a somewhat larger extent than other available third-party K-mount lenses.
    Pentax Forums has a great used marketplace worth checking out.
    M