Sunset: My very first post - Jersey (Channel Isles)

CarlCam5CarlCam5 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited April 2, 2008 in Landscapes
I hope you like this one - I would love your feedback please...

252946765_QWmSK-XL.jpg
regards,
Carl

--
Carpe diem, or Seize the day.. ...with a photo or two - there's no better way.
:oogle:oogle:rofl:oogle:oogle

Comments

• WildWingsWildWings Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I like it too...very serene. nod.gif
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Yes very nice. I'm sure someone will chime in with helpful comments on composition. As for me, I like the object on the left and it's reflection on the wet sand. I also like the rocks and such in the foreground. I get lost on the right of the photo but I'm not techie enough to put it into words. I love the color of the sunset. I was actually just looking at some of my photos from a week in San Diego and had almost the same color sunset.

Welcome to DGrin!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • CarlCam5CarlCam5 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Many thanks
    WildWings wrote:
    I like it.thumb.gif
    Thanks for looking and commenting Ted!

regards,
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--
    edited April 1, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    I like it too...very serene. nod.gif
    Many thanks Eia, it was a very relaxing shoot, just watching the sky change colour....
    ;-)
    regards,
    Carl

--
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    It's good enough to make me want to be there! Might try some cropping off of the right and either top or bottom just to see what it does for it?? Wish my first post was this good :D!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
    edited April 1, 2008
    JavaLover wrote:
    Yes very nice. I'm sure someone will chime in with helpful comments on composition. As for me, I like the object on the left and it's reflection on the wet sand. I also like the rocks and such in the foreground. I get lost on the right of the photo but I'm not techie enough to put it into words. I love the color of the sunset. I was actually just looking at some of my photos from a week in San Diego and had almost the same color sunset.

Welcome to DGrin!
    Many thanks for your comments Javalover, the tower is called La Rocco tower, it is in the middle of our one and only surfing beach.
    Thanks also for the warm welcome!
    regards,
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--
    edited April 1, 2008
    Thanks Randy,
    LensCap wrote:
    It's good enough to make me want to be there! Might try some cropping off of the right and either top or bottom just to see what it does for it?? Wish my first post was this good :D!
    Those are interesting thoughts on the cropping - i'll have a go at that. Thanks for the kind words.
    regards,
    Carl

--
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I love sunsets! I love the way the light is reflecting off of the sand in the foreground. This is beautiful!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Do you know about the rule of thirds? I would have pointed the camera lens down a bit to get less sky and more of the wet sand. You have the horizon right in the middle of the photo. If the horizon were in the upper third of the photo I think it would be better.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a pro photographer. The rule of thirds is a simple one to follow and makes most photos better.
    edited April 2, 2008
    Hi Julie,
    I love sunsets! I love the way the light is reflecting off of the sand in the foreground. This is beautiful!
    Thanks for the comments, I remember wondering as I took the shot whether the reflection on the sand would come out nicely...and I was really pleased that it did!
    regards,
    Carl

--
    edited April 2, 2008
    captain78 wrote:
    Do you know about the rule of thirds? I would have pointed the camera lens down a bit to get less sky and more of the wet sand. You have the horizon right in the middle of the photo. If the horizon were in the upper third of the photo I think it would be better.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a pro photographer. The rule of thirds is a simple one to follow and makes most photos better.
    Interesting comment - thanks Jeff.
    I am not sure about this because for me the subject of the photo is not the horizon, although I am not sure what the subject is actually.
    I guess for me I was focussing literally on the reflections as much as possible and they are within the lower third of the photo
    In terms of PP now, I would be reluctant to crop any reflections out and the colours in the sky are quite nice - so I would not really want to start cropping those out...

..what would you do in terms of cropping at this point, or do you think I just should have aimed lower?
    thanks
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    I think the photo is fine but could have perhaps been better by aiming lower. At this point, I don't think cropping would give the results I am thinking about.

Jeff