Recommend Me A Macro Lens

PUREVILPUREVIL Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited April 2, 2008 in Cameras
Anyone have or can give me feedback on the Canon 60mm f/2.8 EF-S USM Macro Lens? Or recommend a different Marco lense, Thanks

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Photozone.de has reviews of many macro lenses for Canon mounts.
    The 60mm macro is a very nice lens optically. It also has a nice quiet and quick AF that doesn't extend as you focus.

It's meant for a cropped sensor and mimics a 100mm macro field of view on a full frame body.

If you want a cheaper 1:1 macro, Sigma has a 50mm macro for about $250 or so. All macros are optically good, I'd go more with focal length you want, features, and price.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Here is a quick search of links here on dgrin about all sorts of macro lenses

The EOS 60mm macro EF-S gets very good marks, but limits one to an APS sensored camera. There are lots of macro lenses without that potential limitation if that matters to you.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I have used both the 60mm and 100mm from Canon and I prefer the 100. If you are only planning to use the lens for macro photos the 100 is amazing. If you plan to do portraits you might consider the 60 since the 100 will often put you akwardly far away.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • PUREVILPUREVIL Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Im a big noob so some of those terms im totally lost on. I bought a canon 50mm 1.4 for portraits and general low light shooting. I have a canon 17-55 for a all around lens, and a 10-22 wide angle. Im trying to cover my bases and I found this canon 60mm macro for 160 used, but it looks like its in remarkable shape, so I was wondering if its going to be a good lens for me. Im shooting with a Canon 30D at the moment until canon releases a new 5D, Im virgin new to this whole photo thing, but im hooked.
    edited April 1, 2008
    If you can buy the 60macro for $160, then it's a great deal. It is meant to only work with EF-S mount bodies like the 30D.

Unless you know you really want to do macros, you may want to hold off from it. All of your lenses except the 50mm will not work if you get a EF mount body like the 5D though.
    edited April 1, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    If you can buy the 60macro for $160, then it's a great deal. It is meant to only work with EF-S mount bodies like the 30D.

Unless you know you really want to do macros, you may want to hold off from it. All of your lenses except the 50mm will not work if you get a EF mount body like the 5D though.
    Really? Well I keep reading they are working on a updated 5D, so until that comes out i'll keep shooting with my 30D, by then maybe I'll have a clue what im doing hahahahaha
    edited April 1, 2008
    Believe it or not, your 30D will serve you quiet well for a lon time if you are a newbie. I'd recommend experimenting more with photography and maybe get more lenses rather than a new body as this may give you more bang for the bucks.

You'll probably get more out of photography that way.
    edited April 2, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Believe it or not, your 30D will serve you quiet well for a lon time if you are a newbie. I'd recommend experimenting more with photography and maybe get more lenses rather than a new body as this may give you more bang for the bucks.

You'll probably get more out of photography that way.
    Sounds good to me.... I'd like to get a flash next and a tripod. I love the photos that some of you guys are posting and I think to myself.... how the hell do get to that level! hahahaha
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    PUREVIL wrote:
    Really? Well I keep reading they are working on a updated 5D

Ignore that, it is simply unfounded rumors & mostly wishful thinking. I have yet to see a peep from Canon. The 5D has been out for a while so people are looking at past release history & making guesses--and that's all they are so far. Stick with your 30D, it's a perfectly good camera & will serve you well for a long time.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    Ignore that, it is simply unfounded rumors & mostly wishful thinking. I have yet to see a peep from Canon. The 5D has been out for a while so people are looking at past release history & making guesses--and that's all they are so far. Stick with your 30D, it's a perfectly good camera & will serve you well for a long time.

The last semi-official word I saw from Canon marketing (late 2007) was that the Canon 5D was still selling well and they did not feel compelled into rushing a replacement to market. The camera is basically unopposed and in a class of its own as the only full-frame digital SLR camera at the $2000-ish price point.

I would not be surprised to see a minor upgrade later this year but I doubt that Canon will mess too much with success.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums