Run Through Twice

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited April 2, 2008 in Holy Macro
It's been a while since I posted anything here in HM. I'm still waiting for a day that's not windy or rainy to go bug hunting, but in the meanwhile, I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of focus stacking. CZM is great, but it takes a lot more technique and skill than I have developed so far. Here's an image from eight exposures. The knitting needle on top is exposed about 12mm, and the distance front to back of the yarn is about 20mm. There are lots of problem areas, I know. Thanks for ANY help you can give.

John

273607111_vy9zH-L.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Looks a good stack :)

Stacking progs always have a slight problem if the background is detailed as you will always get a slight OOF halo around the main subject. If the prog has missed some detail that is on one of the originals you can clone it back on using a repair tool in PS from the original onto the stacked shot - you may have to re-size the original first though.
    Brian V.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Thanks, Brian. I need to devote some time to learning the menus in CZM too.
    John :
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    hi there, what aperture did you use, it appears that there are a couple of out of focus bands, are these areas sharp in original frames? i had this when i first started stacking ,too little dof in each shot and focusing too far into subject in next frames leaving blurred areas inbetween each when stacked .
    phil.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    They were shot at f11.
    I think I set up a nearly impossible task for CZM with this shot. The "face" of the yarn moved away from the sensor plane at about a 35 degree angle from left to right. I think that's a pretty tough task, to try to combine all that into one crisply focused image. One thing I think I've learned from this is to choose and stage my subjects carefully. That being said, I still think CZM did a hell of a job on this set.

I think I take Brian's meaning to be that if the background (yarn) had been more in the same plane, CZM would have had an easier time resolving the different focus "slices" of the needles. I may play with that concept a bit, but I promise not to post crap. mwink.gif Only if the results aren't embarrasing will you see more on this idea.
    John :