Conveyor

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 4, 2008 in People
After a year of emails, phone calls, tons of my good will gestures and rolls of mandatory red tape I finally got my foot into a local cal state, or more precisely, its music department. :ivar

Today was the first day of the first project: they needed the headshots for their website.

...3 hours and 450+ shots later the first series of 18 victims was covered.

Tomorrow the second, and final, shoot.

Here are some samples.

Rob The Sax Player:

273709854_HxAfK-XL.jpg

Richard the Trumpeter (he's also into martial arts:-):

273708269_yez6D-XL.jpg

Phil The Computer Whiz:

273705397_4dyZw-XL.jpg

Larry The Conductor:

273703586_xupRE-XL.jpg

Joel The Professor of Music:

273701800_fSyYh-XL.jpg

Diane The Singer:

273695682_5sjmS-XL.jpg

David The Conductor/Violinist:

273694616_hr277-XL.jpg

Setup (I was actually amazed how precise my 5-min-$1-DIY snoot was):

273711587_5h4UJ-L.jpg

All shot RAW, Canon 40D, EF-S 17-55/2.8, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/250. Processed in ACR 4.x.

Enjoy!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    Wonderful work, Nik. bowdown.gif I'm sure they will be pleased.

Cheers,
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Nice work Nik!
    The hair light does a very niice job of seperating them from the background
    Nice exposure on the skin - no hot spots

I think my favorite is Joel, the Professor of Music.

Some thoughts:
    • Larry - You loose a lot of his upper body to shadows
    • Diane - I think turning her just a bit more toward the camera would improve the shot. A straighter posture for her would also work better here - better match to the more formal dress/top she is wearing.
    • In a couple of the photos, the back of the draped chair is sneaking into the shot. I've found a stool works better for this sort of shot.
    Edit: Forgot to mention - including the shot of your studio is very helpful and appreciated - Thanks. It's amazing what can be done.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Great set up you have there Nik. I really like the shot of Rob...nicely done. Personally (and I'm only sharing), I would have thrown a small light on the backdrop with a grid about 2 stops under. The black seems just a tad to involved with the hairline, even with the hairlight in place (which is great!). A good example is with Larry. His right side (camera left) is blending with the background.

Great for you getting to get the work! Whoo hoo! They should be pleased. Nice Nik.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Great job!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Sam
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Great portraits
    amazing job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    My favs are the 1st and 2nd ones. They make good use of the hairlight and stuff. Larry's shot is way dark on his shirt, gotta' make that sucker pop out!

Very good of you to shoot overhead. Nicely done buddy! Show us the rest when you're finished so we can nitpick on them all. Thanks for sharing!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Great shots. The highlights are great. Thanks for including the studio shot. Where do I get that hightlight light. What do you call that?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Wonderful work, Nik. bowdown.gif I'm sure they will be pleased.

Cheers,
    Thanks, Richard! thumb.gif
    They are, in fact! mwink.gif Just finished 2d day and they're already talking two more :-) :ivar
    edited April 2, 2008
    The hair light does a very nice job of separating them from the background
    Nice exposure on the skin - no hot spots

I think my favorite is Joel, the Professor of Music.

Some thoughts:
    • Larry - You loose a lot of his upper body to shadows
    • Diane - I think turning her just a bit more toward the camera would improve the shot. A straighter posture for her would also work better here - better match to the more formal dress/top she is wearing.
    • In a couple of the photos, the back of the draped chair is sneaking into the shot. I've found a stool works better for this sort of shot.
    Edit: Forgot to mention - including the shot of your studio is very helpful and appreciated - Thanks. It's amazing what can be done.

Scott,
    thank you for the C&C!
    I know there are more things that went wrong/could be better.
    My biggest gripe was an extremely limited time with each subject and general desire to keep every frame in sync with the others (since they will go to the same website, the the client wanted them all to have the same look and feel).
    When I do regular portrait session I request at least an hour, if not two. Here it was 5 minute tops, some didn't even think it was a good idea, and most didn't know what to do in front of the camera. Breaking the ice, gaining the trust, directing every single move (chin up, to the left, head to the right, back straight, etc.) and finally getting each person to let their inner/natural self to show up - all that in 5 minutes or less was a single biggest challenge (hence the title of the post:-). Today I had three hours shoot (yesterday was two) and I came home tired as a dog...

Glad you liked the setup shot. More coming (from today) mwink.gif
    edited April 2, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Great set up you have there Nik. I really like the shot of Rob...nicely done. Personally (and I'm only sharing), I would have thrown a small light on the backdrop with a grid about 2 stops under. The black seems just a tad to involved with the hairline, even with the hairlight in place (which is great!). A good example is with Larry. His right side (camera left) is blending with the background.

Great for you getting to get the work! Whoo hoo! They should be pleased. Nice Nik.

Hey David, thanks for comments! thumb.gif
    Yeah, I hear you! I brought 4 lights and used only two. Darn scheduling problems/mishaps made me set the whole thing up in a huge hurry, and I simply didn't have the luxury to put extra lights - the difference *really* was between "getting the shot" and "getting outta here". And once the conveyor started, there was no way to change anything dramatically.
    I also must add that we originally agreed on "dramatic lighting" and totally black bg. I warned them about black concert dressed/tuxes blending with the bg, they were fine with it.
    edited April 2, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Great job!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Sam
    Thanks, Sam! thumb.gif
    edited April 2, 2008
    Great portraits
    amazing job
    Thank you, my friend, much appreciated! thumb.gif
    edited April 2, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    My favs are the 1st and 2nd ones. They make good use of the hairlight and stuff. Larry's shot is way dark on his shirt, gotta' make that sucker pop out!

Very good of you to shoot overhead. Nicely done buddy! Show us the rest when you're finished so we can nitpick on them all. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!thumb.gif
    Yeah, like I want to give this crowd an extra chance to chew me up alive mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited April 2, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Great shots. The highlights are great. Thanks for including the studio shot. Where do I get that hightlight light. What do you call that?
    Josh, you're welcome, thanks for stopping by!thumb.gif
    This thingie is usually called hair light. You make it out of what you have..mwink.gif
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I really like all of these. They look even more amazing when you factor in the short time you had with each subject.
    edited April 3, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    I really like all of these. They look even more amazing when you factor in the short time you had with each subject.
    Thanks, Shane! Appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Here it was 5 minute tops, some didn't even think it was a good idea, and most didn't know what to do in front of the camera. Breaking the ice, gaining the trust, directing every single move (chin up, to the left, head to the right, back straight, etc.) and finally getting each person to let their inner/natural self to show up - all that in 5 minutes or less was a single biggest challenge (hence the title of the post:-). Today I had three hours shoot (yesterday was two) and I came home tired as a dog...

Glad you liked the setup shot. More coming (from today) mwink.gif
    Wow - only 5 minutes (or less) with each person - taking that into consideration, you done good thumb.gifbow
    edited April 3, 2008
    Wow - only 5 minutes (or less) with each person - taking that into consideration, you done good thumb.gifbow
    Thanks, Scott!
    I told you, it was a conveyor:-)
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    wow excellent shots! Love the setup! I'm sure you learned a lot! Congrats.

Probably stupid question since you only had 5 minutes between people, do you have a laptop with you onsite to review the pics or do you just go by the camera LCD?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    It looks like you are putting those new lights to go use. Nice set of images from a very challenging assignment.
    edited April 3, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    wow excellent shots! Love the setup! I'm sure you learned a lot! Congrats.
    Thanks! thumb.gif And yes I did:-) mwink.gif
    Do you have a laptop with you onsite to review the pics or do you just go by the camera LCD?
    No, I do not. I wouldn't help me in this case anyway, I barely had time to chimp quickly to ensure there is no major screw-ups. I tried to chimp 3 times per person:
    1. After the first couple of shots. This killed two ducks: I was sure all the strobes are firing and it also gave the "victim" a sudden pause, so he/she could drop the initial typical tense state and relax a little. Needless to say, I was watching him/her relax with a corner of my eye and then tried to direct him/her in a direction that seemed more natural for this particular person.
    2. In the imaginary middle of the shoot (2-3 minutes in). Again, person could genuinely relax, and I could decided what additional angles/poses we should try - or simply call it a day if I saw that nothing else is feasible.
    3. If decision was made to continue after CS2 (Chimping Session #2), we shot few minutes more and then I verified than the last crop is good, too.

I must say, in this scenario chimping was perfectly fine.
    1) Person could relax, and then I can catch him/her off-guard while s/he is still in the relaxed state
    2) I had an ability to monitor the output, and in a few cases it really saved a whole bunch of frames after the light was readjusted a bit.
    3) Person did see that I care and got real-time assurance that everything is in order and we're getting good images. It helped with relaxing and general rapport.
    edited April 3, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    It looks like you are putting those new lights to go use. Nice set of images from a very challenging assignment.
    Thank you, Travis! At least I tried:-)
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    You did a great job...I would be happy with these shots.
    edited April 3, 2008
    Sandy wrote:
    You did a great job...I would be happy with these shots.
    Thanks, Sandy! thumb.gif
    I hope they are, too:-) mwink.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Awesome shots!!! Extremely well done.
    edited April 3, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Awesome shots!!! Extremely well done.
    Thank you David! thumb.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Wonderful! Your lighting provides a great depth to the photos. You also did a great job in catching the personality of each person. It is easy for me as a viewer to feel some connection or understanding of the performer. Great job! Thanks for posting the set up. Very helpful to those of us who like to know how the masters are doing it.

thumb.gif
    edited April 4, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Wonderful! Your lighting provides a great depth to the photos. You also did a great job in catching the personality of each person. It is easy for me as a viewer to feel some connection or understanding of the performer. Great job! Thanks for posting the set up. Very helpful to those of us who like to know how the masters are doing it.

thumb.gif
    Thank you for your kind words! iloveyou.gif
    I would gladly trade all my gear for your talent, but some things apparently are not on the market:-)
    Cheers! 1drink.gif