Close Portraits taken at a Bladesmiths Hammerin

dgentiledgentile Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited April 2, 2008 in People
A Bladesmith - is a smith specialized on the forging of high quality knives and swords.

A Hammerin - is a gathering of bladesmiths, where various craft related topics will be discussed lots of forging will be done.

Over the last weekend (28th of march to 29th) there was such a gathering in England, besides taking part as a professional bladesmith (www.ferrumdg.com) I've taken close to 800 shots which have been sorted down to roughly 140 (gallery: http://www.dgentile.com/gallery/4632636_ti75E/1/273423724_nkARP)

most have been taken outdoors, in very varying light conditions - almost no portrait was "posed", so most was "fast work".
I've used my Nikon D70s with a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, and a SB600 for many of the shots. I shoot RAW exclusivly for all of my photos.
Postprocessing included some B&W Conversion and RAW Adjustments.
As it was often quite dark, many shots have been taken at ISO 1600 and some have been "Pushed".

here are a few of the portraits...
Comments and Critique are very welcome.

273423656_RELuX-M.jpg

273421283_3bZmz-M.jpg

273423366_o8hg7-M.jpg

273422541_DwaEi-M.jpg

273423698_U5FHz-M.jpg

no portraits...
273423724_nkARP-L.jpg

273422077_QnghP-M.jpg

Daniel
Daniel Gentile Photography:www.dgentile.net

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    Hi Daniel and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

I'll leave it to others to make specific technical comments and just make one general one. I would have liked to see more shots like the last one, with people working in their environment. Lighting would be tricky to get the glow of the metal and still have detail in the people, I imagine, but I think the end result would be more interesting. Here's an example from your gallery of what I mean:

273422245_QNCLj-S.jpg

There are others I like as well in that gallery. I love seeing craftspeople at work.
  • dgentiledgentile Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hi Daniel and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

I'll leave it to others to make specific technical comments and just make one general one. I would have liked to see more shots like the last one, with people working in their environment. Lighting would be tricky to get the glow of the metal and still have detail in the people, I imagine, but I think the end result would be more interesting. Here's an example from your gallery of what I mean: ...
    There are others I like as well in that gallery. I love seeing craftspeople at work.

Richard, thank you for the input...

The thing was that there were like 6 or 7 forges being operated and it was at times difficult to get a good view of what some of the others were doing and taking decent pictures of this.
    Besides some of the shots have had to be taken at ISO 1600 and the D70s doesn't really output much good at 1600 especially if 1600 would be the "lower end" of ISO needed... Today I had a hands on chance with a D300 and wow - I was quite blown away by it's high ISO performance... even 6400 is better then the D70s 1600... but that's a different matter.

The gallery contains a mix of portraits and work-shots... with the portraits being slightly the dominant number there...

next time I'll try to get more work-shots ... sounds more challanging :D:Dmwink.gif

here are a few:
    273423091_DG9RB-M.jpg

273418053_yCUVB-M.jpg

273416516_daGQM-M.jpg

273416643_b6HQm-M.jpg

Daniel
    Daniel Gentile Photography:www.dgentile.net