Shots from YMCA Judo

Jim TJim T Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited April 3, 2008 in Sports
I shot these w/out a flash using my 85mm 1.8 on an XTI.

273799768_tqQej-L.jpg

273797587_787Zv-L.jpg

273799178_n9UiV-L.jpg

273799316_GfQUJ-L.jpg

273799437_nPnYw-L.jpg

I had to shoot at 400iso due to the poor light. This was my first attempt with the 85mm 1.8 indoors.

C&C welcome.

Thanks,

Comments

• NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    First of all, I'm not a great sports shooter, so take what I say with a grain of salt (or many grains).

I enjoy seeing the action shots, but I think the blue tint on all but the boy doing the handstand was very distracting for me.

Also, as I have seen on here frequently, the more you can get faces in the shots the better. I can see how particularly if going for people being thrown that would be difficult, but it may be useful as well.

the other thing I would suggest is that on #2 and the last one there are legs of somebody else in the picture. I would recommend cropping those out as they are a bit distracting.

Finally, I really did enjoy the energy in the photos.

Nate
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Jim TJim T Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Nate,

Thanks so much for the critique, I didn't notice the overwhelming BLUE until you mentioned it. I did dome adjustments and will post a couple later.

Thanks again,
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    As stated the blue cast is a bit distracting. I'm sure the room was a bit chanllenging. There doesn't seem to be a level line in the shots. A smallish low ceilinged room doesn't help. Images 1 and 3 are clearly off kilter though. Look at the corners of the walls. They should be verticle. #4 makes me feel like I'm falling to the right as well. Every shot but the hand stand could use some straightening. The shots could really use some faces and emotion. Tighter crops would help a lot.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Jim,

YOu did a good job of capturing action. Now, the challenge is to make that action interesting.

So the cart-wheel - not interesting. Cute photo for a parent maybe but not interesting as a sports photo.

On the throws. The leveling is a small but important thing. The problem being - even if they were level it would be tough to find the photos interesting.

First - the people in the background are distracting. It's obvious this is a class and not a competition. Think the difference between someone throwing a baseball in their front yard vs. pitching on the mound. Even though they are wearing a gi, it's obviously a class so the action becomes less interesting because the viewer SEES it's a class. Make sense?
    And, even a shot of someone throwing in their front yard can be cool if it's a tight shot of the motion, expression on the face, etc.

Then, as mentioned, the action in and of itself - a throw - isn't particularly interesting. I'm a martial artist, and photos of throws aren't interesting

Take the last throw for instance - what WOULD be interesting is a tight crop of the two torsos - enough so you could see it was a throw but the emphasis is on the expressions. VERY tough photo to get.

But, the benefit is - you're taking it in a class environment so you know the throw is coming. So, frame tightly from the beginning. You'll capture that tight crop that's more interesting and because it's tight you won't have the distracting, tell-tale spectators standing around.

That doesn't mean the artist won't appreciate the photo - they will. It's just that it will be tough for anyone else to appreciate it.
  • Jim TJim T Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Very cool that is the kind of info a new-b can use!clap.gif Thank you all so much. I'll Give it another shot at tonights class.

It is amazing to me just how helpful everyone on this site is! I've been on numerous other talk forums that for the most part turn into flame wars. What a great community to stumble into!

Thanks again,thumb.gif