Which lens to use with extension tubes??

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited April 2, 2008 in Holy Macro
I am going to Longwood Gardens in PA in two weeks (one of my favorite places - will be the first time with my digital SLR Rebel xTi). I am renting extension tubes to try them out and was wondering which lens I should use. I am a beginner and don't have a very big lens collection, just the kit EFS 18-55M f3.5-5.6, and an EF 70-300mm f4/5.6 IS USM. I will also have a rented EF 85mm f1.8 lens in my possession (for my son's gymnastics meet). The extension tubes I rented are Canon and are supposed to work with the EFS or EF lenses. Any suggestions!! Thanks.

Stephanie

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I am going to Longwood Gardens in PA in two weeks (one of my favorite places - will be the first time with my digital SLR Rebel xTi). I am renting extension tubes to try them out and was wondering which lens I should use. I am a beginner and don't have a very big lens collection, just the kit EFS 18-55M f3.5-5.6, and an EF 70-300mm f4/5.6 IS USM. I will also have a rented EF 85mm f1.8 lens in my possession (for my son's gymnastics meet). The extension tubes I rented are Canon and are supposed to work with the EFS or EF lenses. Any suggestions!! Thanks.

Stephanie
    I'd try them first with the 85mm lens - do you know how many mm of extension tubes you are getting ?

Brian V.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    If you have a LOT of light, i'd suggest using the long zoom. Its a pleasure using a long zoom with tubes (i use my 70-200L). However, when doing very close macro work, close to 1:1 you need a very small apurature to have a decent DOF. Therefore, you'll need a whole lot of light.

On the other hand, the prime lens is suppose to be a very sharp lens. I have not used one, so can't really comment on that aspect. I have used prime 50mm lens with extension tubes and it was a lot tougher to work with than the zoom.
    ~ Lisa
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Thanks Brian and Darkdragon for the help. Brian, I am renting the Canon EXtension Tube EF 25II.

Stephanie