Conveyor-2

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 4, 2008 in People
Today was the second and the last day of the two-day "corporate portraits" session.

Yesterday I left 90% of my equipment on stage ready to go hoping to save the time and maybe set the light better. Duh, sure. This morning I got a message that the facility we were shooting yesterday is needed for classes by 11am - which, of course, was the scheduled shoot starting time... :bash

274092111_4XYcc-L.jpg

I dashed to the university, and barely had time to get the gear out of the hall 5 minutes before the class. Then, naturally I had to reset *everything* in a different place... By the time I was finished with the basics it was already 12 and we were one hour late.:-( :dunno

Anyway, the rest of the shoot went OK. Here are some samples.

Anna The Pianist:

274056839_3JpvK-XL.jpg

Elizabeth The Media Professor:

274061079_fkUaK-XL.jpg

Jan The Pianist

274062494_WSZm8-XL.jpg

John The Art Historian:

274065416_4z8DP-XL.jpg

Kate The Guitarist:

274069930_rjFik-XL.jpg

Liviu The Composer:

274074146_bDyGK-XL.jpg

Matt The Jazz Director:

274077167_BnyaE-XL.jpg

Mike The Violinist
(FYI: this piece of plywood he's hugging and which he refused to part with was made by Stradivari and is currently worth about - pinky by the mouth - eight *million* dollars :huh ):

274078582_JsN9f-XL.jpg

And finally, by popular request, couple more setup shots:

New location:

274084805_9ppES-XL.jpg

When the university lady first saw these ~300lbs of equipment, she sighed: "That's why my own pictures looked crappy, I knew I've been missing something": :rofl

274085168_TXHKq-XL.jpg

Enjoy!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Wow Nik! Awesome!
    I like the way they came out and really like the third shot of Jan, The Jazz Director, and Mike the Security Guard! mwink.gif Nice setup. The Composer looks composed, but I see some dust spots on his neck under his ear. John has something on the V neck of his shirt and I don't know why the little stray hair on Kate is distracting me.

Thanks! thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Nicely done Niko! I especially like your use of wide apertures on the close-ups (especially on Jan the pianist), actually I like all of the close-ups! Should show more of those! Really nice lighting. In my opinion you can play with some S-curves to bring out some more color and contrast, but thats just how I may like it, your clients however may already like it the way it is, so don't listen to me!

Great set, thanks again for sharing. If I find something else to nitpick, have no worries, I will pick at it like a monkey looking for fleas.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Beautiful photos! WOW. bowdown.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Very nice, Nik! I especially like Anna & Liviu. Thanks so much for the set-up shot too. Great to see how the look was achieved.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Wow Nik! Awesome!
    I like the way they came out and really like the third shot of Jan, The Jazz Director, and Mike the Security Guard! mwink.gif Nice setup. The Composer looks composed, but I see some dust spots on his neck under his ear. John has something on the V neck of his shirt and I don't know why the little stray hair on Kate is distracting me.

Thanks! thumb.gif
    Thanks!
    I tried to make sure the clothing was dust-free, but it's hard to see on back concert attire. ANd undortunately it glows under the flash.

Anyway, they will cherry-pick one-per-person shot and I will make sure those are "picture-perfect" before turning them in.
    edited April 3, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    Nicely done Niko! I especially like your use of wide apertures on the close-ups (especially on Jan the pianist), actually I like all of the close-ups! Should show more of those! Really nice lighting. In my opinion you can play with some S-curves to bring out some more color and contrast, but thats just how I may like it, your clients however may already like it the way it is, so don't listen to me!

Great set, thanks again for sharing. If I find something else to nitpick, have no worries, I will pick at it like a monkey looking for fleas.

Thank you!
    In fact, I have more closeups (and I can easily create WAY more with the Crop tool ;-), I simply wanted to present some variety here.
    edited April 3, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Beautiful photos! WOW. bowdown.gif
    Thank you, Agnieszka! iloveyou.gif
    edited April 3, 2008
    Very nice, Nik! I especially like Anna & Liviu. Thanks so much for the set-up shot too. Great to see how the look was achieved.
    Thanks Emily!
    I'm glad you and the rest of the gang like my setup. This was in fact the very first time I ever used it deal.gif. Just purchased the fabric last Saturday (fun trip to LA Fashion District), and my kind-hearted wifie made some needed alterations on Monday, so it was ready for Tuesday shot. mwink.gif
    As you can see, I only used two lights and a reflector. I was planning to use more, but the darn scheduling issues left me with zero time to try anything else, so I had to use the very basic lighting. Luckily, it came fairly close to what I had in mind and what promised to my client, so I'm happy with it and looking forward to try it on more advanced situations.
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Very well done - AGAIN! And having to move the entire rig like that - it would have been nice if they had called you a little earlier in the day so you could have some time to cope with the schedule change.

Again - nice job (and, as always, I learned something from your work - thanks).
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Bravo, Nikolai!
    I'm proud I know you, really great work!
    Spasibo, Yuri
    edited April 3, 2008
    Very well done - AGAIN! And having to move the entire rig like that - it would have been nice if they had called you a little earlier in the day so you could have some time to cope with the schedule change.

Again - nice job (and, as always, I learned something from your work - thanks).

Thanks, Scott! thumb.gif
    It's wasn't entirely their fault. I guess university life is always a bit hectic, things change quickly, you simply have to deal with it. ne_nau.gif
    OTOH per our agreement I charge by time, so it kinda sweetend the pill:-) mwink.gif
    edited April 3, 2008
    Bravo, Nikolai!
    I'm proud I know you, really great work!
    Spasibo, Yuri
    Yuri,
    thank you, I read your entire MA and some other of your posts before the shoot to make sure I cover my basics:-)
    thumb.gif
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Wow! Every one has something a little special in the framing or point of view. And the lighting is terrific; looks like you varied the hair light (at least), and maybe more, so there are some nice different light qualities among these.

I've got a group shoot Sunday; I hope mine come out a fraction as well!
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Again...these are great. Did the violinist let you touch the $8M piece? Or was he afraid of what slobber would do to the finish? mwink.gif
    edited April 4, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Again...these are great. Did the violinist let you touch the $8M piece? Or was he afraid of what slobber would do to the finish? mwink.gif
    Once he mentioned the name I didn't even dare to ask... mwink.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I think the snoot makes these shots very distinctive. good captures
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited April 4, 2008