Options

Just Bought a Canon 40D - Must Have Accessories?

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited April 16, 2008 in Accessories
I ordered a Canon 40D with the kit lens (EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM) tonight. What are some of the "must-have" accessories to go along with this camera? I am not looking into getting a new lense quite yet, but I will be looking into getting a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II and Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lenses in the future.

I already have a Canon bag from my previous Rebel that I will be using. I was looking into getting a lens hood. I think I know what these do, but can someone explain to me a little better? I'm thinking they cover the lens from the sun at times when it's starting to set, is that correct?

I will also be looking to get another battery, maybe even two - I was looking at http://sterlingtek.com for those. It's kinda funny... My dad found out about this place on this forum I believe and ordered a battery for his XTi from them and then found out that they are actually based here in Las Cruces, NM where we live.

I will also be using my old Canon 420EX Speedlite Flash until I can upgrade to the 430EX. I will also be using my 1.0GB SanDisk Compact Flash card for the time being. What would be the best Compact Flash card for my new 40D?

Any other suggestions on what I should get?

I will be using this camera for taking portraits of family and church events. I will also be using the camera to be taking pictures of my Ford Mustang - At times I will be shooting it while it's moving.

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Lens hood - protection from lens flair, don't want to ruin your photos. would you like to know more?

Battery - how many shots are you taking in a day that you'd need 3 batteries? one is good for 300-500 shots easy. charge them it every night your home maybe? get a back up or two for longer trips but still bring your charger.

CF Cards - 4gig should hold about 200 RAW+JPEG or 1000 JPGs, 8gig is double that, 16gig blah blah blah. but it should list in your manual what each card holds based on which file format/resolution you save them in. again it's about what you're going to be shooting and for how long between downloads. newegg.com sells all major/minor compact flash card brands at cheap prices too.

Other - for me i'd get a domke 1" gripper strap i can't stand those OEM straps that scream "CANON" or "NIKON" or "SONY" or "PENTAX" camera straps. i'm not try to be part of a camera club of bond with other same brand users when out shooting and I think they look way tacky and amaturest at best but that's just my black taped out no name body old school ways.

Other II - you might also start looking at another larger bag or back pack too. add on 2 more lens, a much bigger body and some other crap and your current bag may end up being to small to carry it all but don't give it away cause it still has its uses.

other then that you'll find you'll need more as you start to shoot more. don't think you'll ever not need something else that's a must have for your bag or body.

artist.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 3, 2008
    Hi there and congratulations on your new camera. You're going to love it. :ivar

OK, let's see. A lens hood is a a very good idea. It reduces glare and it protects the front element of the lens from many sorts of collisions. I always use a hood, even when glare is not an issue.

You will want a second battery for sure, but the battery life is really very good, so I wouldn't be in a rush to get a third one. Many people (myself included) are perfectly happy with non-Canon batteries, which cost much less. Use the search function on the main Dgrin navigation bar to find many discussions of which brands people recommend.

A single 1 GB card is not enough for serious shooting. How much more you should get really depends on how many shots you take and what size and quality images you are after. Since memory just keeps getting cheaper, I would immediately get a fast 2GB card and see how long that keeps you going. You can always add more as you need it. SanDisk and Kingston both have a lot of satisfied users, though a bad experience can happen with any brand. Again, search Dgrin for lots of discussion.

I recommend getting a card reader. It makes moving pics to your computer much faster and conserves battery life on your camera. They're really cheap.

If you don't already have an image editing program, you should get one. There are a number of free ones out there, but I would suggest starting with Photoshop Elements, which is not terribly expensive and will let you learn many things that carry right over to Photoshop CS3 if you really get into it.

A tripod will certainly improve your portrait work. This is a whole other world of conversation, so search for existing threads and think about your own needs.

Finally, you will need something to keep your lenses clean. I know that the 40D has a self-cleaning sensor, but I don't know whether this system works well enough that you actually don't need a sensor cleaner. Somehow I doubt it, but then I'm a well-known cynic. In any event, it's probably not something you will need on day one. When (and if) the time comes, you will know it.

Regards,
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I recommend getting a card reader. It makes moving pics to your computer much faster and conserves battery life on your camera. They're really cheap.

That's not always the case with different cameras. My Sony Alpha downloads blazingly faster thru the camera's USB cable then putting the card in my PCs CF slot or thru a scandisk card reader again plugging it into a 2.0 USB port. And the 7 mins to downlond 800 jpegs really didn't effect my battery life to any noticable degree.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Yes, however Canon bodies are notorious for being a PITA to get set up. It's much easier to just get the reader & be done with it.

For accessories, I agree with the above: a second battery--sterlingtek is indeed a very good place to go, more CF cards--I'd suggest SanDisk Ultra IIs, a better strap--my preference is Op/Tech's Pro Loop, lens hood.

After that first wave, a tripod would be good, however requires a bit of thought & budget. Do some research first.

A cleaning kit would be good. My preference (and my wallet's) is the Copper Hill kits.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    I'm not sure if it's must have, but not having to charge my batteries for over a month has been pretty nice; so battery grip.

My 40D will do 999 Large jpg's and 300+ RAW on a 2GB card.

I always have to clean my lenses. Dust and kiddie fingerprints.

I've not yet had to clean my 40D or XTi sensor. I did last week for the first time in over a year clean a spec that was showing on the viewfinder of the XTi w/ the Giottos soft brush. It wasn't on the mirror or sensor.

Enjoy!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Grab the free and totally awesome smugmug camera strap. I'm not kidding, it is the most comfy strap I've ever owned (not that i've owned many).

Not that we've freed up another $25, you gotta get a tripod. No, not a $25 one. Look at the manfrotto stuff. I love the Grip head tripod heads and flip lock legs. I don't have the exact model numbers with me though. Roughly I spent $250 for head & legs.

Lens hood...well, I never use mine on that lens and I've never had lens flare with it either. I keep a UV filter on it most of the time, if I'm shooting towards the light I take the filter off (filters can cause a lot of flare) and if needed I shield the lens with my hand/hat/whatever. If you DO get one, just order it off ebay or from Adorama and save some money. It's a peice of plastic.

You are going to need a 4GB card if you shoot in RAW or RAW+JPG. I shoot RAW+JPG(L) so that I can print anywhere and yet still have the raw for when i want to do post work and for archiving. I used a 2GB card for a while, but I was constantly running out of space too soon. I just picked up an 8GB card which I love. 4GB is perfect price/performance point (IMHO). I like to pair up the Sandisk Extreme III cards with the Sandisk Extreme USB reader so I can drop the 4GB cards in about 5 mins on my computer (VS 28+ mins with the generic readers and with other cards on the sandisk reader).

One extreme III card (4GB) and reader will be about $60 from Amazon.com.

So those are the three must-haves for now: UV filter, tripod, more memory

Next you should look into the battery grip. You can pick up a used one for around $150 or less. Good to always have the extra juice and it really balances out the weight when you have a large heavy lens on the camera.

Personally I don't bother with sensor cleaning stuff. The auto cleaner in the camera works great and when I do see dust I just take my camera to the shop and they blow it out for free. If it needs a wet swab, it is $50 and they have all the liability of ruining it. One less thing to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

P.S. Get this book, it is $14 Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 40D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thanks a lot for your help, guys. I am going to go ahead and order a Canon Lens Hood for the 28-135mm lens. I ordered a Canon 200EG Backpack last night from Amazon for $37.65 shipped. I know it's a big bag for now, but it will fill up soon enough :D

I haven't seen anyone talk about the SanDisk Extreme IV Compact Flash cards. Why is that? Isn't the Extreme IV card faster than the III? The Compact Flash card will be my next purchase after the lens hood.

I am going to see if my dad has got his free Smugmug neck strap with his membership. If he hasn't, hopefully he will let me order it. I already have a tripod, but it's not the best one so I may be getting a newer one in the future. My dad also has Photoshop Elements that I can use. I used to have it on my computer, but I had to reformat the hard drive.

Right before my Digital Rebel died on me, I had just bought an extra battery for it. This is the same type of battery that my 40D will be using, right?

Is there any specific place I should look the Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 40D book?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    CF card - II vs IV: In the 40D, you will see little, if any, difference in the speed with which the camera frame buffer is downloaded to the card. There will be some difference in the speed with which the card can be downloaded to your computer - assuming you use a card reader and not the camera for this operation. I would do some research (there are a number of threads on DGrin on this subject) before you purchase the CF card - you may end up saving yourself some $$$.

Battery - The dRebel (the 300D) and the 20D/30D/40D use the same battery (BP-511 or BP-511A).
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    CF card - II vs IV: In the 40D, you will see little, if any, difference in the speed with which the camera frame buffer is downloaded to the card. There will be some difference in the speed with which the card can be downloaded to your computer - assuming you use a card reader and not the camera for this operation. I would do some research (there are a number of threads on DGrin on this subject) before you purchase the CF card - you may end up saving yourself some $$$.

Battery - The dRebel (the 300D) and the 20D/30D/40D use the same battery (BP-511 or BP-511A).

Thanks, man. I can't seem to find the Extreme II CF cards anywhere. I am going to go with an 8GB Extreme III card from Adorama for $99.95.

EDIT: Nevermind - the II cards were "Ultra" cards and not "Extreme" cards. There is only a $5 difference in price, so I am going to go with the Extreme III.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    suggest to get a 4GB Extreme III card rather than 8 GB. It is not easy to fill up the 8GB card unless you shoot 800 RAW file in one go. Downloading 8G file take a long time and rather difficult to manage the photos. Also, I like to play save, do not want to put all photos in one card and loss it in case it is failure or lost.

Try the CF-PCMCIA card adaptor, it is very useful if you use laptop on the road. It may be slightly slower for downloading. I park it in the laptop PCMCIA slot and no need to worry about the cable and external card read when I travel. If you are heavy shooter and do like to bring along the laptop, consider the portable HD with card reader. the 40GB HD help me to save 6000 photos during the 10 days trip.

For photo edit software, the CS3 may be overkill. I gave up the CS2 2 years ago and went back to the Element.

Good tripod, external flash and good lens care set may be useful.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    This is what I get when I use a UV filter on the 28-135.

274620440_AghXR-L.jpg
    I almost sent my lens to Canon before I figured it out it was the filter mirroring the image.

I guess you'll get 999 RAW shots on the 40D with that amount of memory! eek7.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    This is what I get when I use a UV filter on the 28-135.

I almost sent my lens to Canon before I figured it out it was the filter mirroring the image.

I guess you'll get 999 RAW shots on the 40D with that amount of memory! eek7.gif

So, at times, the UV filter was counter-productive?

I never shot in RAW when I had my Rebel just because I never knew anything about it. I plan on shooting in RAW with the new 40D.

My dad took over 1,100 pictures at his first wedding, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a pretty big card if I'm ever thinking of doing that. There was only around a $40 difference in the 4GB and 8GB card, which really isn't much money in retrospect to amount of money spent on this kind of gear. I just thought, why not?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    So, at times, the UV filter was counter-productive?

I never shot in RAW when I had my Rebel just because I never knew anything about it. I plan on shooting in RAW with the new 40D.

My dad took over 1,100 pictures at his first wedding, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a pretty big card if I'm ever thinking of doing that. There was only around a $40 difference in the 4GB and 8GB card, which really isn't much money in retrospect to amount of money spent on this kind of gear. I just thought, why not?

UV filters are great but ifyou are shooting into the light (like the photo in above post) you will likely get strange light reflections/flare. I take mine off when shooting into light, but leave it on when I can for protection.

The general idea is that an 8GB card holds a lot of images. If you loose or break it or it just fails, you loosing maybe 1K images instead of 500 (as with a 4GB card). Only you can decide if you think that is a risk. No mater what way you go, I'd suggest getting 2 cards. Either 2 4GB cards or 2 8GB cards. That way when you forget one in your computer, you'll still have the one in your bag. mwink.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    UV filters are great but ifyou are shooting into the light (like the photo in above post) you will likely get strange light reflections/flare. I take mine off when shooting into light, but leave it on when I can for protection.

The general idea is that an 8GB card holds a lot of images. If you loose or break it or it just fails, you loosing maybe 1K images instead of 500 (as with a 4GB card). Only you can decide if you think that is a risk. No mater what way you go, I'd suggest getting 2 cards. Either 2 4GB cards or 2 8GB cards. That way when you forget one in your computer, you'll still have the one in your bag. mwink.gif

Alright, I will see if Adorama can just send me a 4GB card instead of the 8GB card and refund part of my money for now. I won't be needing a large amount of space until the summer, so I will just use the single 4GB card for the time being.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited April 4, 2008
    I like 4G cards, or 2 - 2G cards, because they will fit onto a single layer DVD. It just simplifies backups.

My father lost a whole card this winter, I am assuming to static electricity. He did not yet have the images transferred into the computer. Fortunately, it was just personal stuff.

One of the reasons the Canon 1D/1Ds cameras, and the Nikon D3, are so well regarded by professionals is because they can take two cards for redundant storage of the images. Once you (anyone) have a card failure, you will understand the reason for that feature.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    The UV filter is not only use for the daylight shooting, i like to put it permenantly in front of my L lens as it can provide some level of protection. I take it out only when I do the studio shot or night shot with long explosure. The extra glass in front of the lens can help to reduce the condensation when you take photo in the winter or early morning. Even there are condensation, you just need to rub the filter and do not worry about damaging the coating of your expensive lens.

It is necessary to have standby cards. I once forgot to delete the old files (uploaded and backup-ed) in my 2GB card and I was on an assignment having 100 new RAW photo on the card then it was full. No time to delete the old file one-by-one. I had to use the 258MB card which came with the 300D to finish the shooting before I had time to create the space in the 2 G Card. It is important to name each card in order to identify where you put the photos in. Otherwise you will waste a lot of time to the cards one-by-one.

Now, I carry 2 X 4G, 2 X 2G then put the old 1G, 516M and 258G at the corner of my bag just for "emergency", anyway those cards are very light.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    evoryware wrote:

My 40D will do 999 Large jpg's and 300+ RAW on a 2GB card.

Enjoy!

I was wrong it's a 4gb card. Sorry.

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Here is the list of items I have ordered...

Canon 40D
    • Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
    • Canon EW-788-II Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm IS Lens
    • Canon LP1014 Soft Lens Case for EF 28-135mm IS Lens

Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
    • Sto-Fen OM-EW Omni-Bounce for Canon 430EX (diffuser)

Canon 200EG Backpack
    • Canon ES-71 II Lens Hood for 50mm f/1.4 Lens
    • Canon LP1116 Soft Lens Case for EF 50mm f/1.4 Lens

SanDisk Extreme III 8GB Compact Flash Memory Card

Extra Sterlingtek BP511 Battery

I will be ordering the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens as soon as B&H gets them off back-order. They have them through several different vendors on Amazon, so I may give in a buy from them even though they are a little more expensive.

As I mentioned before, I already have Photoshop Elements and a tripod. My dad and I are starting to shoot senior pictures/weddings/graduation events so this stuff will be used for those occasions.

Any suggestions on what should be my next purchase?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 8, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Any suggestions on what should be my next purchase?

Hey Dawson,

Congratulations on your new toys. wings.gif

I suggest that you not buy anything else for now. Getting to know the rig you have purchased will take a while. You will know what you need when the time comes.

Regards,
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hey Dawson,

I suggest that you not buy anything else for now. Getting to know the rig you have purchased will take a while. You will know what you need when the time comes.

Regards,

Aww, shoot, we enjoy spending his money!!

Seriously, I suspect the next thing you may be looking for will be a flash modifier, and software. I recommend the Lightsphere, which gives you lots of options, or if you are feeling abit overspent, the Sto-fen which is easy to afford.

Finally, Lightroom is a must have if you come close to filling that card in any shoot.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hey Dawson,

Regards,

Second that. Use & learn the stuff you have coming in now. You will know what you need once you become familiar with the gear & your own shooting habits. Then you won't need to ask us, except for specific competing options, and those kinds of questions are really fun to debate. :D
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    camson: I bought a sto-fen with the flash thumb.gif I may look into the lightsphere in the future.

Thanks for the adivce, guys. Adorama says they will have the Canon 50mm f/1.4 in a couple days, so I went ahead and ordered it tonight.

I will experiement with the gear I have now and decide where to go from there. Thanks again for all the help!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    camson: I bought a sto-fen with the flash thumb.gif I may look into the lightsphere in the future.

Thanks for the adivce, guys. Adorama says they will have the Canon 50mm f/1.4 in a couple days, so I went ahead and ordered it tonight.

I will experiement with the gear I have now and decide where to go from there. Thanks again for all the help!

I also have several of the LightSpheres, but I think you would be better off with this: http://www.dembflashproducts.com/ this is by far a better product, you can control your light/direct your light in many diffent ways.

Where the fong you can't.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    I also have several of the LightSpheres, but I think you would be better off with this: http://www.dembflashproducts.com/ this is by far a better product, you can control your light/direct your light in many diffent ways.

Wow... Those like they work well also. I will keep that in mind. Thanks thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008

I second that thought for the Demb products and especially the "Fip-It" which I have. I cut loose an assistant with that product on a Sigma flash and he was consistantly shooting quality near what I was producing with a much larger device.

Joe Demb is also great to work with.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    The best $25 I ever spent. . .
    were on a hand strap for my 30D, which I have transferred to my 1D Mk III.

I _love_ that hand strap. It lets me carry the camera securely in one hand, even when I have my 300 mm f2.8/L on the body (which is a beast of a lens). The strap can be adjusted so it fits your hand size exactly, and it even helps position my fingers to be over all the right buttons.

I got the original Canon version, but I suppose that non-OEM types might work, too. Anyway, worth the $25, even if it's not flashy, doesn't have an on-off switch, or even an instruction book.

Have fun with the 40D! I hear it's an amazing camera.

EDIT: I just realized that you need the battery grip to use the hand strap. Well, that battery grip was a good idea, too, and gave the camera more stability, and unbelievable battery life with two batteries. The grip and an extra battery are way more than the $25 hand strap :(
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think the 40D has a built in infrared port for this kind of remote. Meaning you'd have to go with one of the ebay triggers for more or less the same price
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    were on a hand strap for my 30D, which I have transferred to my 1D Mk III.

I _love_ that hand strap. It lets me carry the camera securely in one hand, even when I have my 300 mm f2.8/L on the body (which is a beast of a lens). The strap can be adjusted so it fits your hand size exactly, and it even helps position my fingers to be over all the right buttons.

I got the original Canon version, but I suppose that non-OEM types might work, too. Anyway, worth the $25, even if it's not flashy, doesn't have an on-off switch, or even an instruction book.

Have fun with the 40D! I hear it's an amazing camera.

EDIT: I just realized that you need the battery grip to use the hand strap. Well, that battery grip was a good idea, too, and gave the camera more stability, and unbelievable battery life with two batteries. The grip and an extra battery are way more than the $25 hand strap :(

I actually just bought a battery grip for my camera. Can you give me a link to which hand strap you bought?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think the 40D has a built in infrared port for this kind of remote. Meaning you'd have to go with one of the ebay triggers for more or less the same price

Yea, I am pretty sure you are right.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX