2 bare bulbs

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited April 4, 2008 in People
Hello! I just got 2 Alien Bees. I don't have any light modifiers yet, so I am bare bulbing it for now. For my first messing around setup, I put one light in front of them them just a little bit to the side to allow room for me. The other light was about even with body up high and pointing down.
I used my babies for the photos ( 3yrs and 1yrs) and they don't take posing directions to well. :D
Just wondering if there is any comments or advice.
(Is the light too bright?)

274270348_MUshE-X2.jpg

274270878_rehaZ-X2.jpg

274270507_8nsci-X2.jpg
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Your off to a good start. Congrats on the new Bee's thumb.gif

You did a fantastic job keeping the background black. That's a feat in itself!

There's a little bit of lens flare. It's that purplish hue that's cast across the entire picture. This isn't bad though and can be easily corrected in post.

It's not too bright, but you should try adjusting the power on them so one if providing the main light and the other provides fill. Right now you just have a huge field of light and it doesn't give good clues of depth to the future models :D

The position of the light should be relative to the height of the model. It looks to me like your lights are set up for a short adult, but shooting children. Bring the lights down or the models up.

Also try moving your main light around. Push it a bit further to the left or whatever. just play w/ the angles.

Try these things and play around w/ it. There's allot more that could be done, but no need to slam you and I always believe a photographer should find their own style, so telling you every nit about the shot that I would do wouldn't be right. It would just show you how I light things.

One last thing.. This will help your lighting so much it's crazy not to, but many photographers don't. When you change your light setup. Take a picture of the whole staged area before you shoot anything. This way when your in post and see a glaring problem or you found the sweet spot for the lighting; you'll be able to reference a photo of exactly how it was set up and repeat it.

enjoy your new toys :D
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    I don't have much experience with studio photography, so I don't really know what is good and what is bad... But when I'm looking at the 2nd photo it looks to me like she is floating in midair because the background is do dark
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Karrie,

Very good start. You've done amazingly well with bare bulbs - can't wait 'til you have rigged up some DIY light modifiers.

Pay some attention to SloYerRoll - he's got some good advice there!
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thank you!
    Exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to get! Thank you very much, guys, for taking the time to reply. thumb.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I agree with above comments. You are off to a good start. I built a couple of soft panels on the cheap that I've been meaning to post the instructions for here. I'll try to put it together and post it tomorrow.