70-200mm IS f/4 L

LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited April 4, 2008 in Cameras
I just ordered the 70-200mm IS f/4 L and I still think I should have gone with the 2.8 IS version but i just couldn't quite get there. Should I call back and order the 2.8 or just stick with the 4 and be happy with the extra 700 bucks. I don't do a lot of indoor shooting so I figured the f/4 would work for me. I rented both a had great luck with both.

What do the dgrinners think?

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Enjoy the new lens. Use the $700 you saved and get a standard zoom to cover the wide end.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Enjoy the new lens. Use the $700 you saved and get a standard zoom to cover the wide end.

Cuong

My next purchase will probably be a 10-22mm either canon or the sigma. Haven't decided.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Lenses do a good job of holding their value. I would stick with what you got, and down the line if you feel the need you can upgrade. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    I'm thinking of getting the same lens...I've decided that the 70-200 2.8L is just too big and heavy (like to hike). Not sure about the U.S., but Canon Canada is offering rebates from March 15th to June 30th. $75 on the 70-200 F4L, $100 on the IS version.

http://www.canon.ca/english/index-whatsnew.html clap.gif
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    I have the Canon L 14mm, 24-70mm & 70-200mm f4 IS and I haven't used any of them very much yet. I can say however that the 70-200mm is looking like a very portable and versatile lens which gives outstanding IQ. The faster 2.8 version is very tempting, but the thing is so big and heavy it's a deterrent to using it except if you are really determined to do so and a little bit of an exhibitionist mwink.gif There are long, faster than f4 primes that can be brought into service if and when you might need. My feeling is that those occasions are few and far between (exception is indoor/night sports), so with the f4 the f2.8 will seldom be missed, and because of its size the f4 will probably see far greater use. On top of that there are all the great reviews the f4 has received. As a piece of glass it seems it just noses ahead of the bigger brother.

Enjoy it and share what you shoot and your experiences.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    The f2.8 version may focus a bit faster with some bodies that can focus faster with a f2.8 or faster lens, but I don't think the f4 version is slow by any means.

The f2.8 version will give you a brighter viewfinder and also be able to freeze motion better with double the shutter speed if you shoot at f2.8 at the same ISO.

But all this depends on your shooting needs. If you tend to shoot in bright enough situations where shutter speed to freeze the action this is not a big deal. Assuming you shoot action stuff anyway.

Both are good lenses and optically very good. I'm inclined to think the f4 version is trivially better though. I think you just gotta pick your needs and the lens that fits it the best.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    LKN Dave wrote:
    Unless you shoot indoor weddings/receptions/late night sports you should be fine with f/4
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Stick with the f4. There isn't a better zoom lens anywhere optically. It is superior optically over the f2.8. You made the right choice in my opinion. Better optically, half the weight. The IS makes enough of a difference that the 2.8 is not really needed in many scenarios. Good luck!

Check out this review - will help you feel better:
    http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/999/cat/11
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    The f4L IS is not a good lens...
    Now that I have caught your attention. The 70-200mm f/4L IS is not a GOOD lens... it is a GREAT lens! I absolutely love mine and use it 3-4x more often than I was ever able to use the non-IS model because of the super IS capability.

My favorite two lens travel duo is the 70-200mm f/4L IS combined with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. These two are light weight for the focal range they provide and produce exceptional image quality. I use these two lenses on two cameras (30D for the 17-55mm and 350D with battery grip for the 70-200mm).

I used to shoot with 3 cameras and three lenses (12-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm) but, now I have cut down to a pair of cameras and enjoy the lighter weight traveling.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    LKN Dave wrote:
    I just ordered the 70-200mm IS f/4 L and I still think I should have gone with the 2.8 IS version but i just couldn't quite get there. Should I call back and order the 2.8 or just stick with the 4 and be happy with the extra 700 bucks. I don't do a lot of indoor shooting so I figured the f/4 would work for me. I rented both a had great luck with both.

I own the 70-200 f/4L IS and owned the non-IS version prior to that. My father-in-law has the f/2.8L IS version which I have also used. I went through the same indecision myself. I even sold the f/4L IS lens and instantly regretted it and bought another. ;) I absolutely LOVE the f/4L IS version.

You have to decide what matters most to you. For me, the weight of the f/2.8 would mean I'd leave it behind more often. If you don't NEED f/2.8, the f/4 version is better in just about every way. The f/4L IS has better image stabilization, is sharper, half the weight, and smaller.

I'd say stick with the one you already ordered and use the $700 for more glass. ;) Also remember that L lenses hold their value VERY well. If you decide after 6 months of shooting that you need the f/2.8 you'll be able to sell it for close to what you bought it for and, assuming you still have another $700, upgrade without a problem.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I own the 70-200/2.8 L and wish I also had the 70-200/4.0 L IS for those occasions where I want to shoot more discreete. They're apples and oranges,
    determine your needs and then your lens.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Stick to the F4.
    I love and hate my F2.8. It is a very very good lens with all rounded performance but the weight really killing me. The 2 kg glass with metal added to the 5D body cause the pain on my wrist and elbow. But once I look at the photos, my pain gone.

Since you are using the light weight 350D, the F4 is more weight balance compare to the F2.5. Enjoy shooting!
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/