Sports Photography Podcast

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited April 4, 2008 in Sports
Hey folks,

I found a site that has podcast about sports photography. The information is a GREAT primer for the new or budding sports photographer. It answers a lot of the questions that come up here time and again.

I only heard one topic that I'm in disagreement about, but that's minor compared to all the good info that is given. (IE: High Speed X-sync)

Hope you find them usefull...
Randy

Comments

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Hey folks,

I found a site that has podcast about sports photography. The information is a GREAT primer for the new or budding sports photographer. It answers a lot of the questions that come up here time and again.

I only heard one topic that I'm in disagreement about, but that's minor compared to all the good info that is given. (IE: High Speed X-sync)

That's pretty cool. . . downloading now. Thanks!
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Thats Dennis W from over at FM, a fellow Sports Shooter member and full time working Pro, he has had that going since this past winter. He is adding to it every month or two so you should check back often.

Flash was hit pretty hard this winter over at FM with some first rate pro photographers throwing their words of wisdom on the subject. Dispelled a notion or two that I had about using flash in the sports world, high speed sync being one of them.

I happen to be in agreement with him on high-speed sync and rarely if ever use it in a sports situationmwink.gif I do use it for outdoor fill though.

But to his each his own and I know Randy you are comfortable with how you use your flash and your results with it and that is cool and all that matters. Dennis has some great information for ALL people interested in sports shooting.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Hey folks,

nice find Randy, he is correct about high speed sync.

HSS, is really useful for, fill flash, very little of anything else.

thanks for the link.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    nice find Randy, he is correct about high speed sync.

HSS, is really useful for, fill flash, very little of anything else.

thanks for the link.

Look,

If you were to add the words "for me" onto those statements that would be just dandy.

But to say that HSS has no use other than fill flash is incorrect. Most don't really understand HSS and that's fine, I'm not going to beat that horse much longer, as I've given indepth info in other threads.

Suffice to say, if a given subject is moving at X speed at X distance at X relationship to the lens, then it takes X shutter speed to stop action. Your camera at X-sync speed plus the fast firing speed of the speedlight duration will stop motion.

You can also accomplish this by using a high shutter speed on camera and flash in HSS. As I have explained elsewere, you will loose "distance" with this method.

Most "people" sports will be fine stopping action with 1/500 ~ 1/800 shutter speed. You can certainly do this with HSS also.

Here is a picture I just took using HSS. The water from the sink sprayer is moving very fast, so fast as a matter of fact that it took about 1/6000 to stop it. Now as I just noted, people sports are nowhere this fast.

Can it be useful - Yes
    Will you use it? I doubt it...

BTW, I'm also a full-time working pro. I really don't know what that has to do with anything.

Dan, I rarely use HSS also, but it is a viable option if I need to use it. It just gets me when people give a blanket statement that it's only good for fill flash.

Alas, I don't want this to detract from the excellent info on the podcast.

274700054_YbM9F-M.jpg
    Randy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I have just listen to the three podcasts and though I like that. Now I assume that you need to get on to itunes to get the other (I don't have itune as I think its a pile of c***). I have tried clicking on the subscirbe button but IE7 does not do anything and Firefox complains it does not know what to do.

Any of you guys had any luck??

Tim
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Randy, I am sure the comments were not directed to me if you read my post. I mentioned full-time working pro only as background information for people about the gentleman who is producing the pod-cast. I happen to be familiar with Dennis and his work. I found it to be VERY relevant information, especially if I don't know the person giving out the information. In this day and age anyone can produce a blog, pod cast whatever and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. My statement was to inform others that that is not the case here. Nothing more, nothing less.

And Randy we are in full agreement that HSS is a viable option, I use it, not often for sports but I've certainly used it and will continue to.

Here is my flash stopping motion done a month or so ago at X-sync of 1/250s and 1/64 power on the flash in manual mode. As I mentioned in my first post there is more than one way to get the results you need, I certainly was not telling you your way was the wrong one.

249554354_UvYW5-L.jpg
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Dan,

Thanks for the reply and the awesome pic thumb.gif

No, this was not directed toward you, but to the other responder and to let others that read this thread who might not know much at all about HSS, that it's not just for fill flash only. That seems to be the Internet hoopla about HSS and it's just not right.

I think I understand why Dennis might have made that statement on his podcast. HSS is a complicated method and won't be employed many times for sports. I suppose it was easier to just make a blanket statement and go on.

I personally could care less what methods each photog employs, that's their choice, but to come on a message board and basically tell me I'm wrong...

I dang sure don't know everything, but if a person is going to tell me I'm wrong, well, I'm gonna need proof deal.gif I've done my testing...

I don't know, I just can't seem to let those things go. That's one of my personality flaws I guess ne_nau.gif
    Randy