First Pictures - My Daughter

tipsinartoktipsinartok Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited April 9, 2008 in People
I'm jumping right in, I hope that's okay. I got a new camera and have been playing around with it. This is my first good camera (and it's still light years below what I'd love, it's a Canon S5 IS), though I've loved photography my whole life. These are from my first day with it. I was using aperture priority mode (is that a good way to start learning?). I would love some constructive criticism on things I can do both pre- and post- to improve the shots. My dream is to do this professionally some day. My house is small and cluttered and babies don't pose so I didn't have a lot of control over the background. Also, I'm not sure how to post EXIF data. (I read a tutorial about it but it only referred to SmugMug accounts.)

1-
1.jpg

2-
2.jpg

3-
3.jpg
Please don't be afraid to critique my photos, I'm here to learn and get better.
Canon XS with kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/5-5.6, 420EX external flash

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Looks like you are doing quite well with your new camera to me. I like the natural light in the first shot and the fact that its coming from the side. That works well.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • tipsinartoktipsinartok Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thanks! Is there any way to tone down the effect of the flash on the second one in Photoshop? I can't figure out how to do it without washing it out. Maybe I should make it black and white.
    Please don't be afraid to critique my photos, I'm here to learn and get better.
    Canon XS with kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/5-5.6, 420EX external flash
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thanks! Is there any way to tone down the effect of the flash on the second one in Photoshop? I can't figure out how to do it without washing it out. Maybe I should make it black and white.

Simple way would be to duplicate the background layer then apply a gaussian blur at about 30 pixels maybe more then blend mode that layer to soft light...that will enhance the contrast of the photo a lot.
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I think that there are companies as well that make small diffusing screens for pop up flashes on smaller cams. These would 'spread' the light better and give you more of a softer effect right out of the camera.

The best option would be to probably get a hot shoe mounted flash that you can swivel and bounce where needed to light your photos. Your camera has a hot shoe for this kind of equipment.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Your daughter is adorable :D

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX