Hello there

AlexIsAlexIs Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited April 4, 2005 in People
Hi forum, I've been lurking around here since quite a while, without posting however. I started out with photography one year ago (with a sony v1) and learned heaps by browsing STF, the canon fora and dgrin.

I take this opportunity to thank Andy W. who is a big inspiration (I think for all of us here)! And of course a thank you to all other members here! I think this is a great place:thumb .

My first post: a friend of mine in his kitchen, yesterday evening, during a birthday party in Antwerp (Belgium), picture right out of the box, no post, handhold. Shot with a canon 20d, 24-70 L. I hope you like it!

I would be very thankful for your comments on how to improve this image...

PS Still got to find me an avatar. Will come up with one later!

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    G'day Alex...welcome to D/grin1drink.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Hi AlexIs wave.gif glad you stopped lurking and decided to join us.. :D
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 31, 2005
    Welcome Alex and congratulations on your "de-lurking" :D

We hope to see many more posts from you. You asked for opinions on this portrait... I only see that the flash seems hot - harsh light on the cabinet door and his forehead and strong shadows at his eyes and shoulders. I'm sure others will give good tips how to correct this. thumb.gif
  • AlexIsAlexIs Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Welcome Alex and congratulations on your "de-lurking" :D

We hope to see many more posts from you. You asked for opinions on this portrait... I only see that the flash seems hot - harsh light on the cabinet door and his forehead and strong shadows at his eyes and shoulders. I'm sure others will give good tips how to correct this. thumb.gif
    Thanks a lot for your comments, Angelo! I rarely use flash and in situations like these it is always a guess...and hope that it turns out good! I always shoot in M and finding the correct exposure with a flash is quite abstract to me ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
  • canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Welcome. I haven't been here long, but these guys are excellent. Lots of tips tricks and good all 'round advice.

Beyond Angelo's comments I would fix the color cast. Looks a bit "yeller" to me.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    welcome to dgrin wave.gif ! heheh i like angelo's comment - congrats on your "de-lurking" lol3.gif

i hope that more folks "de-lurk" now! i'm sure your friend will love this pic -and it probably works well as a series from the evening's events :D

looking forward to more from you,
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    This is a very common problem. Maybe there is already a tutorial on this. If not, may I use this example in one?

Anyway the quickest fix would be if you shot it RAW. Then just change "As Shot" to "Tungsten" in the raw converter and you'll be on the right planet after conversion.

Assuming you didn't shoot in RAW, you can easily fix with LAB curves. Here is my edit of your image:

18641179-O.jpg

Here are the LAB curves that I used to get there:

18641177-S.jpg18641178-S.jpg

I've put the actual curves (which you can load into the curves dialog in PS) here
    If not now, when?
    edited April 1, 2005
    Thanks everybody for the words! This really gets me started!

Rutt, I will try the conversion!
    edited April 4, 2005
    My friend was happy with this version, although he is still suffering from extreme shadows around his eyes...

I went through the exif, and I noticed I did not use flash for this picture.