Austin-Senior

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 4, 2008 in People
Just so no one goes to thinking that I only photograph female subjects....:D

Austin is a young man who attends the same church as me and my family. WE spent last Sunday afternoon shooting his senior photos as he will be graduating from high school in May.

Hope you enjoy!!

1-
273646228_PPfER-L-1.jpg

2-
273648789_fVmGa-L-1.jpg

3-
273651091_XHb7D-L-1.jpg

4-
273653917_xzYeg-L-1.jpg

5-
273666773_WBfRE-L-1.jpg

6-
273667421_yDNj5-L-1.jpg

7-
273669737_VxuSR-L-1.jpg

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Not sure what to tell 'ya. Your photos are wonderful, as always. I think my favorite is #6, somehow the photo "flows" nicely, if you know what I mean. Awesome job. clap.gifbowdown.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    These are great Jeff. What are you using for your post production and what are you doing?
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    These are nice shots Jeff. I'm not real wild about the processing...ok on a couple but for the most part the skin tones have a green/yellow hue....I realize it's a particular look but the classic vinette and odd colors throw me. JMHO.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Not sure what to tell 'ya. Your photos are wonderful, as always. I think my favorite is #6, somehow the photo "flows" nicely, if you know what I mean. Awesome job. clap.gifbowdown.gif

Thank you,

I liked that one as well. I wish his right hand weren't balled up so tight, and I may rework that BG just avove his left arm. I find it a tad distracting.
    edited April 3, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    These are great Jeff. What are you using for your post production and what are you doing?

I use Adobe Lightroom to process my RAW files. Just basic adjustments to exposure, WB and now and then vignettes.

I finish in CS3 where I do all of my sharpening, and push in contrast. I also handle any healing etc that needs to be done. I try to avoid using plug ins and actions as they tend to just look gimmicky after awhile. Pretty much just straight up color processing.
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Very nice work Jeff - all of them are high quality. Really enjoyed looking through them.

I just wish kids these days would pull their pants up!
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Great set, Jeff! My faves are 1, 6, 7, but I like them all! I think that fence in #1 is terrific and the position in 6 is great. Again...great variety of poses and locations! clap.gif

some CC...
    #6 - The colors seem a bit different in this one, and there almost seems to be a shadow (?) or vignette line across his left arm, making his hand a different color than his upper arm and face. His right arm is quite a bit darker too, which makes his face appear really light. It's rather picky to point out, but there doesn't seem to be such a difference in skin tone between face and arms in other shots. Maybe it's just a case of a wide vignette. Anyway, this is a great shot, so I thought I'd throw out a couple nit-picks so I could hear more about this one. :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited April 4, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Great set, Jeff! My faves are 1, 6, 7, but I like them all! I think that fence in #1 is terrific and the position in 6 is great. Again...great variety of poses and locations! clap.gif

some CC...
    #6 - The colors seem a bit different in this one, and there almost seems to be a shadow (?) or vignette line across his left arm, making his hand a different color than his upper arm and face. His right arm is quite a bit darker too, which makes his face appear really light. It's rather picky to point out, but there doesn't seem to be such a difference in skin tone between face and arms in other shots. Maybe it's just a case of a wide vignette. Anyway, this is a great shot, so I thought I'd throw out a couple nit-picks so I could hear more about this one. :D

I think the vignette probably contributes some to what you are seeing. Here is another shot. Same place/pose but a different camera angle.

273668291_fwepd-M-1.jpg

If you notice, there is a fairly hard shadow on his right forearm from his shirt sleeve. The sun is above and slightly camera left. This would put sunlight on the exposed underside of his arm in the first photo. Austin has very very fair skin. In the first posted image of this pose, the side of his arm that sees no sun is exposed, yet his wrist twisted and lying on his leg rotates so that some areas of skin show that do see sun. Keeping the facial brightness down would have resulted in a fairly flat looking image overall.

BTW....what you have seen is what drives me to seek out full shade for portraits unless the skies are overcast. Here we were under a tree, but there were spots of dappled light popping to the ground here and there.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I really like 7 and 1. Your yellow and greens are poppin!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited April 4, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I really like 7 and 1. Your yellow and greens are poppin!

Popping yes.....and I like that too, but....

Pouring in a bunch of contrast can also increase the color/ contrast in undesirable tones. Shooting outdoors is full of challenges. In a wooded scene such as this reflected green light is bouncing everywhere. It can be controlled some by pushing fill flash in to overcome it, but with a fair skinned subject a little fill goes a long way. Surely the colors could be altered or desaturated a bit, but then other areas of the image suffer as well. My opinion....for what it is worth...is that some of the green in skin that is reflected from our surroundings is perfectly natural. WE see this all the time with our eyes, and then all of a sudded have an issue with it in photographs?...not me. I do try to minimize it, but I won't pour myself into excessive PP work selectively altering colors just to make something that naturally occurs disappear. I am sure there are many, many photographers who would disagree with this approach, but that is my story....I am sticking to it. Whats the point in working with natural light if you are going to start altering away it's peculiarities?

Thanks for looking and taking the time to leave a comment.