newbie PS masking attempts

sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited April 5, 2008 in Landscapes
My nascent efforts at using layer masks in PS: to 'blue' the sky and 'pretty' the clouds. After I've stared at an image in PS for a while, I lose all perspective as to whether it looks real or convincing anymore, and whether the shot ever had much merit to begin with.

C&C appreciated please!

274569696_zfQ7h-L.jpg

Peace,
Sanaka
WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 4, 2008
    Hi Sanaka,

I don't see a pic. headscratch.gif Check this tutorial about posting on Dgrin.

Regards,
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Oops, my bad. I hadn't set the gallery to allow linking/sharing. Should be good now.

Peace,
    Sanaka
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I like it! thumb.gif The framing of of the palm is perfect for the dramatic game of hide-and-seek that the sun is playing in that cloud.

If I had to pick something, the tonality of the cloud does not seem quite right. You've preserved the contrast in it very well but my eye tells me that it's a little too dark for the amount of light coming out from the rest of the scene.

Still, no real complaints from me. :D
  • WildWingsWildWings Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I really like this one!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    writing out an explanation was hard so here let me show ya...

i thought above the cloud looked a bit off, notice above the cloud here? i sat and dodged...(not that it made it any better, just that the purples just didnt look right...)(too me, humble me...)
    274800873_GjAo5-XL.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 4, 2008
    btw, there is a way to make the sun rays stand out far more than you have here...look into how to do it...myself ive only seen it done so i cant remember how its donene_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    My nascent efforts at using layer masks in PS: to 'blue' the sky and 'pretty' the clouds. After I've stared at an image in PS for a while, I lose all perspective as to whether it looks real or convincing anymore, and whether the shot ever had much merit to begin with.

C&C appreciated please!
    Peace,
    Sanaka
    Hey Sanaka,

I like the composition quite a bit. For the clouds, you might want to desaturate it as well as bump up the contrast.

For the desaturation of localized areas, i like to use the rarely ever talked about sponge toolthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thanks so much everyone for the help and eval. I agree with all that you've said.

My reasoning about the contrasty rays and the darkish clouds was that the straight-from-camera shot (see below) pretty much showed this. So, 'reasoning' being pretty much a hindrance here rolleyes1.gif I think I need to treat the PP'd image more as it's own, new representation. My mind still hangs on trying to make things "real" (an impossibility!).

I like your dodging on the over purpleified part, Aaron, and I'll have a look for sun-ray enhancement :D

OK, dadwtwins, spill on the sponge! headscratch.gif How do you use it for desaturation?

Peace,
    Sanaka

Straight off camera:
    274830689_ibrEU-M.jpg
    edited April 4, 2008
    umm, i went a little overboard here on color...

but its fun...

just lightroom used...

274847472_dvw3P-XL.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 5, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Thanks so much everyone for the help and eval. I agree with all that you've said.

My reasoning about the contrasty rays and the darkish clouds was that the straight-from-camera shot (see below) pretty much showed this. So, 'reasoning' being pretty much a hindrance here rolleyes1.gif I think I need to treat the PP'd image more as it's own, new representation. My mind still hangs on trying to make things "real" (an impossibility!).

I like your dodging on the over purpleified part, Aaron, and I'll have a look for sun-ray enhancement :D

OK, dadwtwins, spill on the sponge! headscratch.gif How do you use it for desaturation?

Peace,
    Sanaka

Straight off camera:

Here is a snap shot of PS. Use a low flow setting at first to get a good idea how strong the desaturation works. Keep the brush at 0% hardness for smoothness. Tinker around and enjoyclap.gif

274856400_TTaHP-M.jpg
    edited April 5, 2008
    Sponge: Coolness! Thanks :D

OK, so here's go #2, using Sponge as per dadwtwins, and another selective color layer for the purply ray stuff:

274901921_EyfKt-L.jpg

Not that I think this is such a spectacular or moving image, but the practice is great! Thanks to all again :ivar

Peace,
    Sanaka
    edited April 5, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Sponge: Coolness! Thanks :D

OK, so here's go #2, using Sponge as per dadwtwins, and another selective color layer for the purply ray stuff:

Not that I think this is such a spectacular or moving image, but the practice is great! Thanks to all again :ivar

Peace,
    Sanaka

Well.... I have to disagreene_nau.gif . I think this image is very cool and very unique. The palm tree cradling the clouds has a great look. It is a composition that most would never think of and here you have it done very well.

This was a great captureclap.gif and the more you practice shot taking and post processing to achieve your original vision before you pressed that shutter button, the more addictive photography gets.

Welcome to the land of photo-holics where we not only encourage your habit, we also insist you continue this never ending quest to capture the perfect shot.wings.gifwings.gif
    edited April 5, 2008
    Aww, shucks... Thanks 'bro! beer.gif