Alexandra

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 5, 2008 in People
After two days of doing "corporate head shots" it seemed like a fun idea to do a late night red carpet/fashion show in Downtown LA.
It's not all done yet (I came home 1 am:-), but I thought I'd share a glimpse of it.

Dgrin, meet Alexandra, a model. Here are few shots I took of her.
I must preface them with the words that unlike the university shoot, where I was face-to-face with a person and all the light I need, here I had to work with a single 580, in a spur of the moment and constantly competing with at least a half of dozen other photogs for every single frame. So it's definitely not a studio quality, but hey, I still got a few nice shots:-)

1: On the red carpet:

274641957_he9xJ-XL.jpg

2: On the red carpet:

274642616_NT27j-XL.jpg

3: Posing upstairs:

274628367_7wUpa-XL.jpg

4: On a couch:

274629287_gh8gf-XL.jpg

5: On a couch:

274629420_yo2Qh-XL.jpg

6: On a couch:

274629483_Ua8jr-XL.jpg

7: On a couch:

274629552_CLm7N-XL.jpg

8: On a couch:

274629651_7NRs9-XL.jpg

More later..:-)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    After the show Alexandra slipped into something more comfortable, and continued to be a good sport willingly posing for hordes of photogs.
    Few of those follows. Again, just one 580 on the cord, high pressure, etc.

1. The look:

274781127_9Mo4o-XL.jpg

2. A princess and a pea:

274781816_HGVii-XL.jpg

3. Are you good or are you bad?:

274781969_WNP6H-XL.jpg

4. I need a friend:

274782216_xjvab-XL.jpg

5. Tired:

274782441_5S9xA-XL.jpg

6. And here's what the poor girls had to deal with the whole evening (guilty myself):

274635514_XFR36-L.jpg

DA END.
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Hi Nik

I like the shots esp considering how much harder it is shooting in that situation with all those other tog's all trying push and shove to get the shot. I really like the way Alex was willing to pose as well - shes got a lovely look and in a couple of shots you can really see that esp when shes given you eye contact.

Cheers

HarjTT

:Dthumb.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    274635514_XFR36-L.jpg

This shoot/fotos reminds me of a group of animals, in this case photographers, after their prey and competing for it. Does the homeboy in the middle have a super deluxe huge soft box? That's just unfair! Haha.

Anyway, I like em' but I would have shot more above the eye level I would have held the camera from above everyone else even though I couldn't see through the viewfinder being so high to get a higher perspective..at least at the couch shots. Those ginormouse stems overcome the proportion of the entire body.

What and where was this? I suppose 2 lovley ladies won't need a reason to start posing, but why? haha...

Cool set buddy. I would have brought my remote transmitter and fixed/hooked up the frequency (after some hit-or-miss guesses) to that guy's receiver on his softbox and used it, but thats just me. Laughing.gif
    edited April 5, 2008
    harjtt wrote:
    Hi Nik

I like the shots esp considering how much harder it is shooting in that situation with all those other tog's all trying push and shove to get the shot. I really like the way Alex was willing to pose as well - shes got a lovely look and in a couple of shots you can really see that esp when shes given you eye contact.

Cheers

HarjTT

Thanks, HarjTT, appreciate it!thumb.gif
    edited April 5, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    This shoot/fotos reminds me of a group of animals, in this case photographers, after their prey and competing for it. Does the homeboy in the middle have a super deluxe huge soft box? That's just unfair! Haha.
    Yeah, there were 4 shooting stations where you could have had your big lights, etc. That was the first time for me shooting with this organizer, I didn't know they were availlable, so I didn't request ont.
    Anyway, I like em' but I would have shot more above the eye level I would have held the camera from above everyone else even though I couldn't see through the viewfinder being so high to get a higher perspective..at least at the couch shots. Those ginormouse stems overcome the proportion of the entire body.
    I hear you, yet this was about pretty much what I could do... ne_nau.gif
    What and where was this? I suppose 2 lovley ladies won't need a reason to start posing, but why? haha...
    This was a fashion show in 740 night club in Downtown LA.

Thank you for your comments!
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Hi Nikolai

At Nikon;s expo in On 2007 - they had a pro model Katie doing the portrait/fashion classes and I turned up for that on the first and second day. The second day was like a rugby scrum and I just ended up giving up and walking away from the entire thing and having to be content with the shots I managed to get the day before. Looking at those pics I can imagine its very much the same and in my opinion you did good.

Now if you had an Oly E3 you could have done the over the head and composed the shots using the tilt swivel LCD!

Cheers

Harj

edited April 5, 2008
    harjtt wrote:
    Hi Nikolai

At Nikon;s expo in On 2007 - they had a pro model Katie doing the portrait/fashion classes and I turned up for that on the first and second day. The second day was like a rugby scrum and I just ended up giving up and walking away from the entire thing and having to be content with the shots I managed to get the day before. Looking at those pics I can imagine its very much the same and in my opinion you did good.

Now if you had an Oly E3 you could have done the over the head and composed the shots using the tilt swivel LCD!

Cheers

Harj

Yes, it was almost exactly as you have described, "rugby scrum". The situation was also more complicated due to the fact that the "designated photogs" installed those large diffuser right smack in the most sought after shooting position (I don't blame them, they reserved the space with the organizers, so they had a full right to set things up as they were pleased, I'm just pointing this fact out), effectively eliminating like 60% of potential shooting space.

And yes, an articulated screen could come handy:-) I mean, my 40D has a Live View, so I could use that (and did use it on a couple of occasions). However, I really prefer getting close to a model, like this

274631030_KwYQp-XL.jpg

so shooting over the heads would not give me much satisfaction...ne_nau.gif