Options

Copan Ruins and Utila, Honduras

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited April 8, 2008 in Journeys
Howdy! Okay so I am a little late on posting this...okay a lot late. I just didn't have the energy to do it until now so here it is! These are pictures I took on my recent trip and most of these were taken around February.

I came into Honduras from Antigua, Guatemala and went right to Copan Ruins. I must admit that the ruins were super expensive! Ridiculously so. $15 for the entrance and that didn't even include the museum! But they were pretty cool so heres a few pictures as I walked along through history with only my camera for company.

These steps were covered overhead so it was obvious they had been around for a long time. You can still see the decorations on some of the steps as they had probably been many many years ago.
274673096_4koW7-L.jpg

The grounds of the Ruins were quite large. I wondered if this is how tendered the grass was hundreds of years ago. One of the things which I noticed most was the amazing trees. I absolutely loved the trees in this area as they were magnificent and huge!
274681734_sAPvg-L.jpg

Heres one of them now.
274682254_Y8Lpk-L.jpg

This was one of the great tree's. You can see the stools at its base where if someone was sitting on them you could see how tiny we would actually look next to this amazing being.
274682907_3yobX-XL.jpg

Then it was off for a little ball playing in the fields.
274683428_quqeH-L.jpg

Parts of the ruins had not been excavated entirely so you could see what it would have looked like when the first explorers had found them after being lost for so long.
274673888_vFZjB-L.jpg

GOtta give them one thing, they knew a good view when they had one.
274674497_WyUJh-XL.jpg

Decorative bricks on one of the temples.
274675077_YicTR-L.jpg

A serene location hidden amongst the trees.
274675827_Jb78C-XL.jpg

This was one of the few places I actually got a good sighting of wild Macaws. They had them roaming all around the compound and was a really nice addition.
274676173_ypJuK-XL.jpg

After Copan I made my way to the beautiful beaches and sunshine on the Honduran Island of Utila.....oh wait. Did I say sunshine?
274676523_Bueqh-XL.jpg

As soon as I got off the boat I was attacked by all of the dive schools trying to get people to join. It really is a gauntlet trying to get through them all but I did manage and chose the Mango Inn to stay at my first night. If you stay there your first night on the island it is $3. Not to bad for a place with a pool! But eventually I ended up going with Cross Creek Diver Center for my Open Water Diver training and I was not let down! After the rain from the morning we got onto the boat called Tristan and headed out.
274676947_zZTKv-XL.jpg

My first dive I didn't take any pictures. I figured I would get my chance to take some pictures soon enough. That night I met a girl named Louie who was nice and we went to a bar to see if we could find a good place to view the sunset. The view turned out to be pretty good! It didn't seem spectacular but it seemed worthy of a good night out with good company.
274677282_hfny9-XL.jpg

I guess there had to be one picture of me in Honduras. THis was taken by my awesome dive instructor Paublo!
274677937_Qpp7a-L.jpg

And then since the ocean was beautiful and the sun was out I took a dive.
274678416_CDcyN-L.jpg

The reef extends all along the island and is amazing. There were many many different fish and I got to see sting rays, eagle rays, turtles!
274678847_vBF8Z-L.jpg

Here paublo checks on the guy he just pushed in heh. I was bummed I didn't get that shot! The clarity of the water was great even though the wind was up and the sand was being moved around.
274679290_NeGLG-L.jpg

Back at the dock Ross awaits his turn into the gear room.
274679799_AGkPp-L.jpg

I tell ya, its really hard staying a week on this island. Just tuff I tell ya.
274680262_LrQ3A-L.jpg

Then it was time to go. It was a sad time to leave as I had a really great time and all the people I met were just awesome! But alas it was time to head toward Nicaragua for a few days.
274680844_4aCMa-XL.jpg

On my way to Nicaragua I stopped in a city called Tegucigalpa which is the capital of Honduras. Talk about small rooms! This was a danky little room in a part of town you just shouldn't go roaming around at night in.
274681314_s7DqT-XL.jpg

Well that was it for me in Honduras. Great times and great travels. It was one of my favorite places that I had visited especially when I got to dive a wreck on the last day of my diving!

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    great job, i would love to see more up and close of the details...
    very much an amazing place.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    dang that is a big swimming pool. Is it heated as well??rolleyes1.gif

Beautiful place, it must be awesome to see such beauty in personthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    dang that is a big swimming pool. Is it heated as well??rolleyes1.gif

Beautiful place, it must be awesome to see such beauty in personthumb.gif

It really is a great place. The pool was not heated but you couldn't really notice. I went swimming at night and it was great!
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    It really is a great place. The pool was not heated but you couldn't really notice. I went swimming at night and it was great!

I just noticed you live in anchorage. I am sure that any water above 50deg would be warm to you, hehehe. Mhat a great adventure you were on, sooo jealous.

I would love to see your picks from your home area. From a formal resident of Wasilla, i would love to see some pics to stir up some very fond memoriesthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I just noticed you live in anchorage. I am sure that any water above 50deg would be warm to you, hehehe. Mhat a great adventure you were on, sooo jealous.

I would love to see your picks from your home area. From a formal resident of Wasilla, i would love to see some pics to stir up some very fond memoriesthumb.gif

From Wasilla huh thats pretty cool. In that case let the memories begin
    http://prezwoodz.smugmug.com/North%20America/353723

wings.gif