What's missing?....

craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited April 7, 2008 in People
I cant put my finger on it but I feel like it could be better.....I like the sepia and I have included the original color version...Any suggestions?]

Soccer4-1-08095sepiablackpointcurve.jpg

KARLEE1STTRY4-1-08095.jpg
Tracy :rofl
Canon Stuff
www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 5, 2008
    craftgirl wrote:
    I cant put my finger on it but I feel like it could be better.....I like the sepia and I have included the original color version...Any suggestions?]

I get the same feeling. headscratch.gif Maybe there's better background separation in the color version? Have you tried just bringing out the color in the original and letting it go at that? ne_nau.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I think I would either apply a vignette or burn the bright spots above the child's head - it's quite a distractor. And, maybe the same thing to the bright area behind the chain. Aside from that, I don't see anything I would change.

BTW - the sepia is MUCH better than the color - IMO. I think it turns the picture into a real photograph - if you understand what I'm trying to say.
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I think I would either apply a vignette or burn the bright spots above the child's head - it's quite a distractor. And, maybe the same thing to the bright area behind the chain. Aside from that, I don't see anything I would change.

BTW - the sepia is MUCH better than the color - IMO. I think it turns the picture into a real photograph - if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Scott, I am pickin' up what your puttin' down. I thought the same thing about the sepia....I posted it up at POTN too, i was desparate for input. Someone there toned down the yellow a bit and brought up the pink and it made a huge difference....I will save it and see if I can bring it over here for a reference.

Ive never been to crazy about vignetting and dont know how to do it anyway...lol....I would love to see what you would do if you have a minute...if not i understand...
    Canon Stuff
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I think you may be putting too much effort into this photograph, I say just leave it monochrome and call it quits. The expression is great, the framing is nice, also it has a nice dof. Its already a good photograph, I would worry less on working on it more because people tend to overphotoshop their images sometimes, I would focus more on taking even more photographs!
    edited April 5, 2008
    Richard,
    I did play with the contrast a bit in the color one, but chose the sepia over it still.....I will play with it some more and see what you think..
    Canon Stuff
    edited April 5, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    I think you may be putting too much effort into this photograph, I say just leave it monochrome and call it quits. The expression is great, the framing is nice, also it has a nice dof. Its already a good photograph, I would worry less on working on it more because people tend to overphotoshop their images sometimes, I would focus more on taking even more photographs!

You are my new best friend! lol. Really this is my first real attempt at doing something different with the colors in a photograph. I tend to agree with you on most occaisions. I hit upon the sepia by accident and when I saw it I loved it so I figured why not find out how to make it right...I am happy to hear you say the most important aspects of photography are there! There is hope for me yet....lol Thanks a bunch!
    Canon Stuff
    edited April 5, 2008
    Here is what MelissandKris over a POTN did for me....I rather like it....

2390179060_a512a0dfe1_oKarLeeonSwin.jpg
    Canon Stuff
    edited April 5, 2008
    craftgirl wrote:
    Ive never been to crazy about vignetting and dont know how to do it anyway...lol....I would love to see what you would do if you have a minute...if not i understand...
    I'll give it whack in the morning when I'm on my work machine - don't have editing s/w on this 8yr old laptop...:D
    edited April 5, 2008
    Looking forward to seeing what you do!
    Canon Stuff
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Hope you don't mind that I played with your picture. Don't want to step on any toes, I just like to play. The processing seemed a little harsh to me so I toned it down but still trying to stay within the sepia coloring. I lightened up her eyes so I could see them sparkle. This is more to my personal liking but may not be what you are trying to achieve with your pretty picture. She has a beautiful smile and you got a great capture of her no matter the processing. Good job!!

KARLEE1STTRY4-1-08095copycopy.jpg
    LadyTX
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Another example of my favorite thesis - 4 x 6 isn't a good aspect ratio for portraits.

I think this crop is tighter and better.

baby2kz6.jpg
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    You mind if I take a crack at it?

just a bit of warmth, levels, cropped and sharpened

275594466_a6oUr-M.jpg
  • PhotoTarzanPhotoTarzan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 6, 2008
    Another..
    Hi! So I'm new around here and just diving in. wave.gif
    I agree about the crop. Also, levels, sat, sharpen, etc...

275639024_dTWmg-L.jpg

Always more fun to PS somebody else's stuff. :D
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    In my opinion, the color or post processing is not a problem. The kid's expression is great. The issue is the chain close to his face. The chain takes space and cold; the versions where the chain is dark and less noticeable are greats. Just my 2 cents.
    edited April 6, 2008
    Wow, guys! I love the different takes on just one shot. I wish she would grow some dang hair though...lol It's okay Ifocus, you aren't the only one who has thought she was a boy. :D

Everyone has done a great job from different angles...I totally agree on the cropping. I really like the tighter crop. So far my favorite rendition is Ladytx's....Thanks to you all for taking the time to make my little girl just plain adorable!

Keep on going! This is fun. I had a mini shoot today with all three of my kids....I think I will start a new thread......:)
    Canon Stuff
    edited April 7, 2008
    Processing. I thought about it a bit and decided the color treatment was a little much. So, I "merged" the two versions, reducing the opacity of the color treated version a touch to let some of original color come through.

The vignette is easy to create:
    • Select the Lasso tool, set the feathering to a value suited to the size of the photo. Here, I used 50 pixels. On a full sized image SOOC, I would use as much feathering as available (250).
    • Draw a rough circle around the area of interest. Here, it's obviously the child's face and hands. Incluede all that in the selection.
    • Invert the selection On a PC it's Ctrl-Shift-I. If you're on a Mac, you're on your own.
    • Invoke the Levels dialog (on PC, CTRL-L) and move the midpoint slider to the right until you like what you see.

Here's the vignetted version:
    edited April 7, 2008
    And, as has been noted above, the cropping is a good idea that I probably would have gotten around to on my own. IMO, there's no need for a vignette here as the child is very well framed by the darker background above, the chain on the right, the image edge on the left, and the swing on the bottom.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    I like your work, Scott.

Such a cute smile, there are a million ways to get this one right and almost impossible to get it wrong.
    edited April 7, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I like your work, Scott.

Such a cute smile, there are a million ways to get this one right and almost impossible to get it wrong.
    I agree, but it's mostly because this was a very good photo to start with. And, I learned something along the way in putting this together.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    I want to play, I want to play
    This was kind of fun. Here are a few of my takes on the image...

Color
    276275509_tEysp-L.jpg

Sepia
    276275519_kpK8V-L.jpg

Cool BW
    276275536_dLY9v-L.jpg
    edited April 7, 2008
    Scott, You Rock!

And thanks everyone for the awesome compliments....I will make sure KarLee knows how beautiful she is. It really is hard to take a bad photo of her...cept when shes grumpy of course!

I am just blown away by what everyone has done. Im glad you had a little fun Travis! I wish I was brave enough to play around with others stuff when they allow it....I posted another thread of some work on the kids I did yesterday it anyone want to take another shot at it...lol The title is something like "this was fun".....then inside it says "my kids hate me"...lol
    Canon Stuff