Self-Portrait

TunaTuna Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited April 8, 2008 in People
Hey all, just a SP. Any C&C would be much appreciated. I just spent the last hour or so browsing around the People forum here, and the more I look, the more unsure I am of this photo. :dunno

Anyway, here it is.

_DSC1032.jpg

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Nice job. I like the light on the background and the moody side lighting. Self-portraits are tough but the cool thing is you can keep shooting them throughout life and they'll always be different.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I think you're on the right track (or current!), Tuna. You are obvioulsy in your space, doing your thing, and we add the ambiance to what we get from your image itself.

Personally, I would have liked more contrast through the pic. It seems a bit flat to me, and the beanie on your head tends to steal the show! I think the bottom foreground needs to be better lit, and slightly less lost in bokeh (your right arm looks amputated). I am aware there are different ways to process B&W, and am thinking that a colored filter might give it more pop.

Maybe try it with a little more light on your face L, and looking directly into the lens.

Regards.
    Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I like the moodiness of this photo. It has kind of an 8-mile sort of feel. The one nit is the background as odd as that sounds. This portrait fits more against a concrete, urban background... not mom and dad's paneled den. :D Good job on focus and DOF. The player being a little blurred keeps the focus on you as the subject.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    The lighting imo would look better if there were some higlights on the shadow side of your face.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Nice shot. Just echoing some of the comments made earlier.

I like the edge you were trying to get, but the panels kind of throw it off.

I don't like not being able to see your eye, it makes me think of pirates, but that might be because I'm watching a certain movie right now.

I would also like to see a little more contrast as well.

Your pose was great, though!