Options

How will Smugmug deal with CMYK uploads?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited April 5, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have a need to upload some CMYK graphics and want to know what if anything I can do to get them to display properly on Smugmug?

They are saved and formatted for printing at the commercial printer.

Thank you in advance for help on this.
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Is this still true today?
    I found an answer to my question but, just want to confirm this is still how Smugmug is handling CMYK upload displays?

Since the dawn of time, we've converted CMYK jpegs to sRGB since the web can't display them.

Smugmug Still doing this?

Markjay wrote:
    I have a need to upload some CMYK graphics and want to know what if anything I can do to get them to display properly on Smugmug?

They are saved and formatted for printing at the commercial printer.

Thank you in advance for help on this.
    Markjay
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

If your photo is in the Adobe RGB (1998), CMYK, or Prophoto color space, we convert it to sRGB. Your viewers will thank you.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Now what?
    Thanks, problem #2

What to do if the file is a .tif file, not supported by Smugmug?

I still need to upload this file as CMYK so the file will be converted to SRGB by Smugmug but, what file type can I convert this .tif file to that Smugmug will support and still retain the image quality / CMYK color mode it's in?

Sorry, I'm not used to working with CMYK files so this is new to me but, I have a prospect who wants my graphic in CMYK mode for printing at any local printer..... he's buying the design outright.

Andy wrote:
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Don't put a CMYK on SmugMug. You'll need to use something like yousendit.com

The file won't be CMYK for the person you're sending it to.

We don't accept TIFFs.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Uh, Andy.......
    Part of the reason I HAVE a Smugmug account, is for digital downloads for customers. What you are suggesting defeats the whole purpose of my pro account here (in this instance). I guess I'll just upload it as a .jpg and put a buy now button under the image, then send the file to their preferred printer after payment
    is received. More work but more profit for me since I'll be bypassing your digital download system, unfortunately.

Ofcourse by my doing it this way, Smugmug makes ZERO on the download, as opposed to doing a download through the Smugmug system, which defeats part of YOUR reason for creating the digital downloads feature. And yes, I'm confident Smugmug is not exactly upset over the loss of sales on this :-)

Personally, I don't understand why you don't support .tif file uploads (or digital downloads for that matter) ? Certainly, I understand you are not going to change that policy just for lil ole me :-)

Oh well?

Thank you, Andy

Andy wrote:
    Don't put a CMYK on SmugMug. You'll need to use something like yousendit.com

The file won't be CMYK for the person you're sending it to.

We don't accept TIFFs.
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Hi Mark,
    We can't do CMYK or TIFFs, Sorry.
    Wish I had a better answer for you!

- Andy
    Markjay wrote:
    Part of the reason I HAVE a Smugmug account, is for digital downloads for customers. What you are suggesting defeats the whole purpose of my pro account here (in this instance). I guess I'll just upload it as a .jpg and put a buy now button under the image, then send the file to their preferred printer after payment
    is received. More work but more profit for me since I'll be bypassing your digital download system, unfortunately.

Ofcourse by my doing it this way, Smugmug makes ZERO on the download, as opposed to doing a download through the Smugmug system, which defeats part of YOUR reason for creating the digital downloads feature. And yes, I'm confident Smugmug is not exactly upset over the loss of sales on this :-)

Personally, I don't understand why you don't support .tif file uploads (or digital downloads for that matter) ? Certainly, I understand you are not going to change that policy just for lil ole me :-)

Oh well?

Thank you, Andy