And the log in page has no way to submit. btw, it says email, does nickname
also work?
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Great, categories.clap.gif But on a pocketPC, Sprint 6700, they are not links like
    the galleries are, no way to pick them. :cry But a least I can now see all the
    category names.:D

And the log in page has no way to submit. btw, it says email, does nickname
    also work?

Wonderful . . . so if you have decided you dont want your galleries on iphone and you have passworded them all (as advised by Andy, Allen etc etc) and put them into custom Categories like : -

Smiths family private pics
    Jones family private pics
    My secret stuff

and so on, now with this new 'feature' these private category names all appear in iphone!!*!?! even if they only have passworded stuff in there and dont show any galleries! I DONT WANT 'client 1' knowing the names of 'Client 2' and 'client 3' etc. and seeing my list of custom categories (yes I know the passworded galleries themselves dont show but if you use Clients names as category names then its still 'information' I would rather keep to myself).
    This iphone thing just gets better and better. Sure its great to have new features but how about some control?
  • Gregg HallGregg Hall Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    ok, now I have a problem.

I have galaries that are password protected, and via the iphone link they are showing up, thi is not acceptable.
  • Gregg HallGregg Hall Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Gregg Hall wrote:
    ok, now I have a problem.

I have galaries that are password protected, and via the iphone link they are showing up, thi is not acceptable.

OK never mind, once I logged out they weren't visible
    edited April 5, 2008
    Gregg Hall wrote:
    OK never mind, once I logged out they weren't visible

Passworded and unlisted galleries will not appear in iphone, but check if the name of the 'category' you have them in appears in the iphone list (albeit empty). If you have public galleries in a category then its fair enough but if you only have passworded galleries in a category then I personally dont think that category name should be appearing. It may be the name of a client.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    Passworded and unlisted galleries will not appear in iphone, but check if the name of the 'category' you have them in appears in the iphone list (albeit empty). If you have public galleries in a category then its fair enough but if you only have unlisted passworded galleries in a category then I personally dont think that category name should be appearing. It may be the name of a client.

Stuart, are you sure this is a problem? I created a new category, then put two unlisted galleries in it so all the new category has in it is the two unlisted galleries. When I go to the iPhone interface (from a non-logged-in browser) and look at the category listing, I do NOT see the category that contains only unlisted galleries. It appears to be working as we would expect for me. Do you see a different behavior?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited April 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Stuart, are you sure this is a problem? I created a new category, then put two unlisted galleries in it so all the new category has in it is the two unlisted galleries. When I go to the iPhone interface (from a non-logged-in browser) and look at the category listing, I do NOT see the category that contains only unlisted galleries. It appears to be working as we would expect for me. Do you see a different behavior?

Interesting . . let me check. I may be wrong. lets hope so.

Is it possible they changed this within the last 10 minutes?
    Anyway, on your iphone pages I see
    family
    nature
    other
    portfolio
    school sports
    talent show 2005

but the odd thing is that every category shows only one gallery inside and always the same one (flowers 105 macro). but I see you have loads of public galleries . . . I think this category thing is maybe 'work in progress' ? Seems to behave differently each time I look.
    edited April 5, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    Interesting . . let me check. I may be wrong. lets hope so.

Is it possible they changed this within the last 10 minutes?
    Anyway, on your iphone pages I see
    family
    nature
    other
    portfolio
    school sports
    talent show 2005

but the odd thing is that every category shows only one gallery inside and always the same one (flowers 105 macro). but I see you have loads of public galleries . . . I think this category thing is maybe 'work in progress' ? Seems to behave differently each time I look.

That means you are not seeing the category that only has two unlisted galleries in it. I also noticed that the gallery listing for the actual categories it is showing is currently busted. I'm not sure why that is.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited April 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    That means you are not seeing the category that only has two unlisted galleries in it. I also noticed that the gallery listing for the actual categories it is showing is currently busted. I'm not sure why that is.

I think they must be working on it right now . . . I can assure you I was seeing categories which said 'no public galleries' about 30 minutes ago. They are obviously trying to fix it. If they cant . . I bet they withdraw the Category feature from the iphone in the meantime.
    edited April 5, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    I think they must be working on it right now . . . I can assure you I was seeing categories which said 'no public galleries' about 30 minutes ago. They are obviously trying to fix it. If they cant . . I bet they withdraw the Category feature from the iphone in the meantime.

I'm seeing different behavior in Firefox and IE. Firefox shows the iphone-like interface with the right gallery names. IE7 shows a very dumbed-down radio button interface with the wrong gallery names. I don't know whether they are working on it or it's been this way for a long time as I've never tried the iphone interface on a PC before (I've used it on a friend's iphone).

I see the "no public galleries" message when the only galleries in a category/sub-category are galleries with a password (presumably because the iphone interface doens't support displaying password protected galleries yet). I have never seen my category that only contains unlisted galleries in the iphone interface.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited April 5, 2008
    ah! Me too . . . I guess I should eat humble pie and withdraw my complaint about unlisted gallery categories appearing . . but actually, seeing passworded-only gallery categories is just as bad dont you think? Especially as passworded galleries with feature-pic instead of padlock is the advised route to take to take if you need privacy. If iphone doesnt show the passworded galleries it shouldnt show the category IMHO . . unless of course there is one public gallery in there.

Edit - they are obviously working towards showing passworded galleries in the iphone interface. So I guess they wont see this as a 'problem'. In fairness its no different from the problem I have with the iphone webpage generally . . the basic inconsistancy with the main site in that it shows ALL your public galleries (and now categories) . . even if you have customized your normal smugmug homepage and maybe have personal or operational reasons for 'hiding' categories and breadcrumb navigation on your main page. I just want to give clients a link to their own category and have them UNAWARE of the existance of my other clients categories. I can arrange for that on the main page but this iphone thing blows that out of the water.
    edited April 5, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    ah! Me too . . . I guess I should eat humble pie and withdraw my complaint about unlisted gallery categories appearing . . but actually, seeing passworded-only gallery categories is just as bad dont you think? Especially as passworded galleries with feature-pic instead of padlock is the advised route to take to take if you need privacy. If iphone doesnt show the passworded galleries it shouldnt show the category IMHO . . unless of course there is one public gallery in there.

It would be a nice optimization to usabilty to not show the category if it doesn't offer you any galleries in it to view, but I don't feel like it's a security issue because the category is shown in the regular browser version. It's not a secret I'm trying to keep.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited April 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    the category is shown in the regular browser version. It's not a secret I'm trying to keep.
    Not if you have paid extra to be a Power or Pro and have chosen to hide categories using CSS. This forum has a trillion posts on folks doing that very thing. I think we have had this conversation!
    jfriend wrote:
    It would be a nice optimization to usabilty
    I agree . . thats all I am after. Its not a security issue.
    edited April 5, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    Not if you have paid extra to be a Power or Pro and have chosen to hide categories using CSS. This forum has a trillion posts on folks doing that very thing. I think we have had this conversation!

Yes, I remember that conversation well about CSS hidden categories. We've pretty much talked about that one as much as we productively can.

I thought we were talking about the recommendation that Allen just provided and that I use regularly to give a bunch of galleries in a category the same password where nobody recommended or expected the category to be hidden.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited April 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I thought we were talking about the recommendation that Allen just provided and that I use regularly to give a bunch of galleries in a category the same password where nobody recommended or expected the category to be hidden.

You are quite right. In that specific scenario the iphone view of categories is no different to the regular site. However I understand that customising the smugmug home page to present categories and galleries in your own way is quite a popular hobby with Power and Pro users and that hiding categories is often discussed in this forum. It isnt obvious that categories are 'hidden' when looking at a customised homepage (which is the whole point), but now, with a mouseclick, the new iphone categories view will reveal all these 'hidden' categories, including those which contain passworded galleries. I think this is a valid point to make in this specific thread.
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    When I go to "Categories" for my site on my iPhone, and then select a category, it says "No Public Albums Found"

Does it not know how to show sub categories?? ALL of my albums are public...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    When I go to "Categories" for my site on my iPhone, and then select a category, it says "No Public Albums Found"

Does it not know how to show sub categories?? ALL of my albums are public...
    It's for logged-in only right now. Yes, it can show subcats.

EDIT: Looks like there's a bug with this, and we'll make sure the engineers see it, thanks guys!
    edited April 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's for logged-in only right now. Yes, it can show subcats.

Andy, this seems kind of lame. It's like someone released some half-finished code to production. That's not what I think you all typically strive for.

If it's only for logged in users, then don't show the "categories" selection when not logged in (because it doesn't do anything yet). If the answer is that the code isn't finished yet, then don't release the newer version until it is finished.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Andy, this seems kind of lame. It's like someone released some half-finished code to production. That's not what I think you all typically strive for.

If it's only for logged in users, then don't show the "categories" selection when not logged in (because it doesn't do anything yet). If the answer is that the code isn't finished yet, then don't release the newer vresion until it is finished.

Thanks John, I'll make sure that Don sees your comment.

EDIT: Behavior is not as intended, looks like a bug, it's been reported, thanks again.