Which camera will suit the need ?

kennutskennuts Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited April 5, 2008 in Cameras
I'm an Hobbyist/Enthusiast photographer currently. I'm currently using the Nikon D50 with all Nikon lenses. I would like to move up to a better camera. I'm planning making a little profit on the pics I take currently. I'm wanting to get a better and faster camera. I currently have the money to purchase the Nikon D2x (used from a well known store via eBay). I'm also looking at the Nikon D300 ... this camera new is within my budget. Which camera would suit my needs better ? I was told that the D2x has to many bells and whistles that I would never use and is complicated to operate !! I just would like to get another camera that would allow me to expand my photo taking without loosing out on features !! Need opinions on both of these cameras !! Thanks
K P Steib Photography
Nikon D50, D300, D700, D4, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, Nikor TC-20E II 2x, Nikkor TC-1.4, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 GII, Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G, Nikon MB-D10 BP, Nikon SB-600 AF SL, Slick MP, Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Ballhead w/680B Mono

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 5, 2008
    Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

What sort of photography do you intend to pursue?

How many actuations per year?

What lenses do you currently own and what lenses do you intend to purchase?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kennutskennuts Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

What sort of photography do you intend to pursue?

How many actuations per year?

What lenses do you currently own and what lenses do you intend to purchase?

Right now I shoot mainly sports indoor and outdoor, a lot of action activities, and my favorite Motocross. With the speed of Motocross I miss a few shots due to the 3 fps maybe a little slow in certain situations, not all. For the number of actuations per... hummn... currently I would say I do 24,000..... should increase as I attend more events. I currently use the Nikon AF-S VR 70-200 f/2.8 (awesome), along with the Nikon 2x Converter,
    and the Nikon AF-S 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6. In the future I intend purchase additional Nikon lenes as the need arises... wide angle etc !! It's a part time currently but seems to be growing at steady pace, especially in Motocross !!
    Thanks for your help !!! thumb.gif
    K P Steib Photography
    Nikon D50, D300, D700, D4, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, Nikor TC-20E II 2x, Nikkor TC-1.4, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 GII, Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G, Nikon MB-D10 BP, Nikon SB-600 AF SL, Slick MP, Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Ballhead w/680B Mono
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 5, 2008
    kennuts wrote:
    Right now I shoot mainly sports indoor and outdoor, a lot of action activities, and my favorite Motocross. With the speed of Motocross I miss a few shots due to the 3 fps maybe a little slow in certain situations, not all. For the number of actuations per... hummn... currently I would say I do 24,000..... should increase as I attend more events. I currently use the Nikon AF-S VR 70-200 f/2.8 (awesome), along with the Nikon 2x Converter,
    and the Nikon AF-S 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6. In the future I intend purchase additional Nikon lenes as the need arises... wide angle etc !! It's a part time currently but seems to be growing at steady pace, especially in Motocross !!
    Thanks for your help !!! thumb.gif

I would definitely recommend the Nikon D300 as the better sports camera of the two. The Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8G AF-S VR should be a great match for that body.

I would also recommend the MB-D10 Multi-power Battery Pack to increase the overall frame rate.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I can also vote for the Nikon D300. Have had mine for 3 months now, and have been shooting on an almost daily base. It is a darn good machine, the colors are wonderful, and I am amazed at how much detail it can capture. I upgraded from the Nikon D70 followed by the D200, and I must say that the D300 is the best camera I ever had.
    I love the fact that you can crank up the ASA really high, and I agree with previous poster that with the Battery pack, you are in for a nice surprise...
    If the D300 is in your budget, go for it!
    edited April 5, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I would definitely recommend the Nikon D300 as the better sports camera of the two. The Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8G AF-S VR should be a great match for that body.

I would also recommend the MB-D10 Multi-power Battery Pack to increase the overall frame rate.

thumb.gif Thanks for your insight here Ziggy53 !! Will certainly look at D300 and the Battery pack !! I was on the fence as to what buy next...headscratch.gif but looks like you've pushed me over !! Thanks again !!!thumb.gif
    K P Steib Photography
    edited April 5, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    I can also vote for the Nikon D300. Have had mine for 3 months now, and have been shooting on an almost daily base. It is a darn good machine, the colors are wonderful, and I am amazed at how much detail it can capture. I upgraded from the Nikon D70 followed by the D200, and I must say that the D300 is the best camera I ever had.
    I love the fact that you can crank up the ASA really high, and I agree with previous poster that with the Battery pack, you are in for a nice surprise...
    If the D300 is in your budget, go for it!

Hey there photocat !!

Thanks for your input.... this is the type of insight that is very helpfull to me(previous owner's) !!!thumb.gif I like what I'm hearing about the D300 !! With that said.... I can get it new instead of spending the same amount of dough for a good used D2x !!mwink.gif Thanks again !! Keep snappin !!!!thumb.gif

kennuts
    K P Steib Photography