Options

Weekly Assignment #73: Umbrella

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in Assignments
This time we're going to have an umbrella as our primary subject. Regular, parasole, photographic, big market ones - whatever you find. It can be on its own, opned or closed, with the person/people, single or plural - the choice is yours, as long as the umbrella remains a vital part of a shot, and not just happens to be in the frame. :deal
Let's get some umbrellas covered! :wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Oh darn! Of the many, many, MANY things I photograohed at the Rensaisance Faire today, the few umbrellas (parasols, etc.) that I saw are about the only thing I didn't get in the approximately 800 images I took! confused0024.gif

:D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Oh darn! Of the many, many, MANY things I photograohed at the Rensaisance Faire today, the few umbrellas (parasols, etc.) that I saw are about the only thing I didn't get in the approximately 800 images I took! confused0024.gif

:D
    RenFair? Where? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    G9 humbrella
    I would like you to like the second shot.rolleyes1.gif
    It has a lot of treatment ... I know. mwink.gif
    Who said that "Muench stars" are only for great and expensive cameras and lens ?
    275409554_Pg999-M.jpg - 275411035_F7dzg-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    I would like you to like the second shot.rolleyes1.gif
    It has a lot of treatment ... I know. mwink.gif
    Who said that "Muench stars" are only for great and expensive cameras and lens ?
    Thank you, nice entries! thumb.gif
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    My nephew just happened to a new umbrella today.

275715843_BtaxA-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    My nephew just happened to a new umbrella today.
    Great entry, thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Here ya go. I'm not sure it "says" anything, but perhaps it is interesting nonelheless ne_nau.gif

276924207_4vNbk-XL.jpg

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Here ya go. I'm not sure it "says" anything, but perhaps it is interesting nonelheless ne_nau.gif
    Peace,
    Sanaka
    Well, it's an umbrella alright, so it counts, thanks for the entry!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    RenFair? Where? headscratch.gif

Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale. This past weekend was the first of several.

I plan to go again in a couple weeks. If you're planning to go, Nikolai, let me know.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale. This past weekend was the first of several.

I plan to go again in a couple weeks. If you're planning to go, Nikolai, let me know.
    Thanks, I'll keep this in mind, I'll buzz you if I go!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, I'll keep this in mind, I'll buzz you if I go!thumb.gif

Sounds good. Maybe we could make it a group outing.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Been messing around with this one long enough and figured I'd better post before this thread got too old. Concept is one thing, execution quite another. rolleyes1.gif

279219175_FiqSH-M-1.jpg

exif

headscratch.gif jpeg looks soft, but in the original the black fabric is tack sharp and you can count every hole in the weave. The white reflective fabric, however, looks just as bad as this in the original. :hack That stuff is tough to photograph!

Still thinking about it, though...
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Been messing around with this one long enough and figured I'd better post before this thread got too old. Concept is one thing, execution quite another. rolleyes1.gif

headscratch.gif jpeg looks soft, but in the original the black fabric is tack sharp and you can count every hole in the weave. The white reflective fabric, however, looks just as bad as this in the original. :hack That stuff is tough to photograph!

Still thinking about it, though...

Thank you!thumb.gif
    I was waiting for someone to shoot an photo umbrella...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    The white stuff supposed to be transluscent/reflective one, so no mistery here why was it hard to capture... deal.gif
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Alright, I had to prove to myself that I could figure out a way to capture that *&!% material. Used black fleece underneath to soak up any light that was even thinking about bouncing up into my umbrella.:rambo

Now it's almost entirely backlight with sunlight coming through the black cover. I just couldn't seem to match the original comp, though. ne_nau.gif

279741572_B4PGA-M.jpg

No response needed Nikolai, I just needed to work through this one for myself. nod.gif One of my primary goals this year is to improve my lighting skills and this is my way of holding myself accountable.

Now I might even try tackling the silver one! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Nikolai. I was fortunate enough to find a booth selling umbrellas. I couldn't help but to shoot fifteen frames from various angles. I hereby submit four of them. I hope these images fulfill this assignment. mwink.gif
    This Yellow One.
    This-Yellow-One-1.jpg

This White One.
    This-White-One.jpg

This Blue One.
    This-Blue-One.jpg

No, this One.
    This-One.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Da big one in spoon
    I hope a reflected umbrella is accepted...

282111764_YSgfR-L.jpg

Edit: EXIF
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Nikolai. I was fortunate enough to find a booth selling umbrellas. I couldn't help but to shoot fifteen frames from various angles. I hereby submit four of them. I hope these images fulfill this assignment. mwink.gif
    Lee, great selection!
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    Outside this assignment and having all this material, I would really try to explore various advanced PS treatments on them..
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Pexi wrote:
    I hope a reflected umbrella is accepted...
    Edit: EXIF
    It most certainly is! thumb.gif
    Great image, very creative and nicely executed! I like it a lot! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Thank you, Nikolai. clap.gif

Pexi. I saw your image and was very impressed with the creativity and "thinking outside the box" mentality of it. It's a great image! Love it! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Pexi,

Simple, unique and nicely composed. Well done!

Hopefully I'm able to join back in the assignments soon. Been extremely busy at work and with personal "assignments".

Dale