Options

Spring Snow Geese Migration

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I went out last Wednesday looking for the big migration of Snow Geese that comes through ND every year. Looks like this year we won't have the "BIG" one since water is still frozen on the lakes and sloughs. I was lucky to see about 40,000 on Tewaukon NWP. Just seeing them and hearing them is totally amazing. This is just one shot of what I saw. I did do pano shots--took 18 shots for that. I don't know how I will get that one together, but you will get an idea of what I saw from this. The birds fly off the ice every 15 min. or so to stretch their wings, circle and sit back down. I have more photos on my site if you wish to see more.

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Wow, a wall of geese! I have been trying to find info on the migration as they often pass quite close to us. A decade or so ago a small town hosted a snow goose festival and built really nice facilities. Then water was diverted from the lake ( some say by Ducks Unlimited, to another lake) and the goose festival is no more. I don't think the geese have changed paths, I'd sure like to see them pass by.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Whow DogDots........What a great shot....looks like you got all 40,000 in one picture. Looking forward to you posting the pano-shots......clap.gif azzaro
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Thanks for taking a look :D

Water diversion---the Geese will follow the water. They always do. So I would say the Geese went to where the water was diverted. Ask your local DNR...they are a good resourse, but I found that the Rangers at the NWP's are the best for information. I really wanted the dark sky of birds flying, but I was happy to get the birds I got. Hopefully next year on the darkened skies.

My pano....oh my, that will be work. I don't know how it will match up all these birds rolleyes1.gif If it works out....I will post it.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Howdy MaryKim,

Very nicely done, that must have been a sight to behold.

I have always wanted to see the great flocks like this, thanks for the
    preview!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy MaryKim,

Very nicely done, that must have been a sight to behold.

I have always wanted to see the great flocks like this, thanks for the
    preview!!

It was a sight indeed. They will be heading your way in the fall. Hopefully you can get a photo of this then. I plan on being out again in the fall looking for the mass migration south.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    Azzaro wrote:
    Whow DogDots........What a great shot....looks like you got all 40,000 in one picture. Looking forward to you posting the pano-shots......clap.gif azzaro

Azzaro...or anyone else :D

I've made the pano, but it is 34,986 x 2089...250in x 15in (I had to make it that large to get the whole flock in) and 209MB in a TIFF. What do I do now? I can't make it into a JPEG. I don't want to cut out the middle. In looking at the end result I see a very large flock of Geese on the horizon. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Awesome shot. thumb.gif

Makes me wonder if taking an umbrella is a good idea. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Awesome shot. thumb.gif

Makes me wonder if taking an umbrella is a good idea. :D

If they flew over our heads....an umbrella would be needed :D
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    If they flew over our heads....an umbrella would be needed :D

Laughing.gif - just remembering a small flock in our housing edition one time. A mother and her lil daughter went running for cover. I laughed at them, as I made it look like I needed to be in my car for a lil longer when I pulled into the driveway.

Seems like we have a lot of Geese families in the area lately. It's fun to watch them by the road and how they look out for the lil ones as they cross the road. One leads while one stands in the middle as the lil ones dash across.
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Wow - amazing! So many birds. I wouldn't have liked to be under that lot :D.

Well captured indeed - the scale is fantastic.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    tobers wrote:
    Wow - amazing! So many birds. I wouldn't have liked to be under that lot :D.

Well captured indeed - the scale is fantastic.

Thank you tobers :D

I wouldn't want to be under them either.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I went out last Wednesday looking for the big migration of Snow Geese that comes through ND every year. Looks like this year we won't have the "BIG" one since water is still frozen on the lakes and sloughs. I was lucky to see about 40,000 on Tewaukon NWP. Just seeing them and hearing them is totally amazing. This is just one shot of what I saw. I did do pano shots--took 18 shots for that. I don't know how I will get that one together, but you will get an idea of what I saw from this. The birds fly off the ice every 15 min. or so to stretch their wings, circle and sit back down. I have more photos on my site if you wish to see more.

Awwww there's one with a broken wing NOT! rolleyes1.gif
    How do they not collide with each other when they take off in mass like that headscratch.gif Amazing, just amazing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Awwww there's one with a broken wing NOT! rolleyes1.gif
    How do they not collide with each other when they take off in mass like that headscratch.gif Amazing, just amazing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

I bet they do bump into each other.

I did notice that the lower flying birds head one way while the upper flying birds fly the other. Kinda like in a circle. Us humans would be running into each other if we tried this rolleyes1.gif