Options

*L* glass expert advice needed

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited April 2, 2005 in Cameras
needs some words of wisdom here lads and lasses...

i have, and love, an EF 70-200 f4 L, but i am starting to find that most of my shots are at 200mm (much like windoze and the 100-400L). my best and favorite lens, but i would really like to have some extra stops...

long story short, i'm thinking of selling my baby and going for a 200mm 2.8 L prime (70-200 2.8 L is not an optionbncry.gif). anyone have experience with this lens? how big a change is it going from zoom to prime?

the prime has good reviews on FM, but i'm looking for some first-hand knowledge. especially anyone who has gone from 70-200 to 200 prime.

the other rationale behind the switch is i would eventually like to toss the 1.4 extender on and i wouldnt want to lose another stop. i would want to use the lens for wildlife and sports...

my bag consists of:
18-55 kit
50 1.8
100 mm 2.8 macro
70-200 f4 L

think the addition of a prime and subtraction of zoom would leave too big a gap in my focal length coverage?

thanks for putting up with the long post and i appreciate any advice you folks have to offer.

j

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    There is one more option that i have only read about but im sure waxedfruitbowl could offer advise on & that is the 135mm f/2. It has a huge rep as being one of canons sharpest lenses & still holds that sharpness with a 1.4 TC from what ive read.

This gives you a beautiful 135 prime (search for images...they are beautiful) & a 216mm prime
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    the 200 f/2.8L prime is a great lens

but it's hard to tell the diff between that lens and the 70-200 f/2.8L i.s. (or non is) becuase both lenses are excellent.

the prime is lighter. both are excellent. you should try out the prime, and see if you like it.

personally, i enjoy the flexibility of the 70-200 zoom, and the quality is just so good..
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the 200 f/2.8L prime is a great lens

but it's hard to tell the diff between that lens and the 70-200 f/2.8L i.s. (or non is) becuase both lenses are excellent.

the prime is lighter. both are excellent. you should try out the prime, and see if you like it.

personally, i enjoy the flexibility of the 70-200 zoom, and the quality is just so good..

Thanks for both the repliesthumb.gif

andy, how does the 2.8 prime compare to the 70-200 f4? or would you say optically the prime is about= to 70-2002.8 is is about=to 70-200 f4... in other words, is the extra cost all about speed and not optical quality?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    long story short, i'm thinking of selling my baby and going for a 200mm 2.8 L prime (70-200 2.8 L is not an optionbncry.gif). anyone have experience with this lens? how big a change is it going from zoom to prime?

I rented a 200/2.8L three times and loved it so much I bought the 70-200/2.8 IS. Without a doubt the prime is lighter and easier to handle, plus much less money. I bought the zoom solely for the flexibility and the image stabilization.

If you are always at the long end, save the bucks and get the prime. I'm contemplating a 300/4 over the 100-400 for the same reason.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I rented a 200/2.8L three times and loved it so much I bought the 70-200/2.8 IS. Without a doubt the prime is lighter and easier to handle, plus much less money. I bought the zoom solely for the flexibility and the image stabilization.

If you are always at the long end, save the bucks and get the prime. I'm contemplating a 300/4 over the 100-400 for the same reason.
    thanks mercthumb.gif the prime is the direction i'm leaning towards. later, if i ever payoff student loans and $ starts to come in, i can sell the prime and go with the 70-200 2.8 IS. just another sweet thing about the L's...they hold their valuexzicon_smile_cool.gif

** note to self: if you want lots of fast replies from experienced dgrinners...put "*L* glass" in the thread titlemwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    thanks mercthumb.gif the prime is the direction i'm leaning towards. later, if i ever payoff student loans and $ starts to come in, i can sell the prime and go with the 70-200 2.8 IS. just another sweet thing about the L's...they hold their valuexzicon_smile_cool.gif

** note to self: if you want lots of fast replies from experienced dgrinners...put "*L* glass" in the thread titlemwink.gif

just made up my mind to go with the prime...looks like i missed a deal on FM for $520 by about 5 minutesbaldy.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited March 31, 2005
    Put me in the "I love my 70-200/f2.8". Can't go wrong with this baby.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    70-200/f2.8". Can't go wrong with this baby.

Ian
    someday...rolleyes1.gif

but for now, ill have to settle for the prime for cash reasons. im just excited to have the extra stops at that focal length

j

coming soon to a buy and sell forum near you: a *mint* 70-200mm F4Ldeal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    someday...rolleyes1.gif

but for now, ill have to settle for the prime for cash reasons. im just excited to have the extra stops at that focal length

j

coming soon to a buy and sell forum near you: a *mint* 70-200mm F4Ldeal.gif
    Jeff...these are someones images with a 135 l f/2 & a lot have a 1.4 extender on them. 135mm + 189mm

I cant wait to use this lens. I havnt done the maths re pricing compared to other options.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Jeff...these are someones images with a 135 l f/2 & a lot have a 1.4 extender on them. 135mm + 189mm

I cant wait to use this lens. I havnt done the maths re pricing compared to other options.
    beautiful gallery...

i have heard nothing but great things about the 135L as well...but until i can sort myself out with a real job (read: no longer a student), i'll have to stick to the *cheaper L's*

everytime i start talking about L glass i could swear i hear my wife racking a shotgun somewhere...maybe its just mene_nau.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Yep,the 135 f2 is one sharp lens.Im looking forward to putting to good use.
    The only zooms I have are the 17-40 and the 18-55 kit.
    Some day I would like to pick up a 70-200 IS
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    needs some words of wisdom here lads and lasses...

i have, and love, an EF 70-200 f4 L, but i am starting to find that most of my shots are at 200mm (much like windoze and the 100-400L). my best and favorite lens, but i would really like to have some extra stops...

the prime has good reviews on FM, but i'm looking for some first-hand knowledge. especially anyone who has gone from 70-200 to 200 prime.

the other rationale behind the switch is i would eventually like to toss the 1.4 extender on and i wouldnt want to lose another stop. i would want to use the lens for wildlife and sports...

my bag consists of:
    18-55 kit
    50 1.8
    100 mm 2.8 macro
    70-200 f4 L

think the addition of a prime and subtraction of zoom would leave too big a gap in my focal length coverage?

thanks for putting up with the long post and i appreciate any advice you folks have to offer.

j
    I bought the 200 f/2.8L recently and I love it it is fast, light, tack sharp ,BLACK,affordable and I do not want to take this lens off my camera.

Its bokeh is silky butterry smooth. I love all aspects of this lens. I dont regret not having a zoom to this length.
    I will in the future own a versitile zoom walk around L lens ala 16-35 f/2.8and a bigma.

The 200 is the focal length I am choosing for my kids baseball.

Examples: of shots with this lens
    17875835-L.jpg

16824763-L.jpg

I am very happy with this lens.

Tim

• Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    beautiful gallery...

i have heard nothing but great things about the 135L as well...but until i can sort myself out with a real job (read: no longer a student), i'll have to stick to the *cheaper L's*

everytime i start talking about L glass i could swear i hear my wife racking a shotgun somewhere...maybe its just mene_nau.gif
    $840 USD isnt a lot for L....

Say this next bit in an old Gypsy womans voice with a Romanian accent.

"Loooook into the picture jeeeefff.....looookkkk into the picture.."

• Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    $840 USD isnt a lot for L....

Say this next bit in an old Gypsy womans voice with a Romanian accent.

"Loooook into the picture jeeeefff.....looookkkk into the picture.."

duuuude....thats just plain mean.

amazing photo...but still freakin meanicon10.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    I bought the 200 f/2.8L recently and I love it it is fast, light, tack sharp ,BLACK,affordable and I do not want to take this lens off my camera.

Its bokeh is silky butterry smooth. I love all aspects of this lens. I dont regret not having a zoom to this length.
    I will in the future own a versitile zoom walk around L lens ala 16-35 f/2.8and a bigma.

The 200 is the focal length I am choosing for my kids baseball.

Examples: of shots with this lens
    17875835-L.jpg

16824763-L.jpg

I am very happy with this lens.

Tim

great photos tim. thanks for the reassurance. cant wait to get my hands on this bad boy...thumb.gif