Options

Why so many guests?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited January 28, 2004 in Dgrin Forum Support
Ever looked down at the stats for who's visiting? At the other forum I'm involved in its usually 50-50 guests/members, but here it's like way more guests than members?

Whassup? People coming by and deciding not to register because we don't have enough posts/people/traffic yet? Don't like something about the site?

I found out that the only register link that works reliably is the one in the menu bar, upper left. The others often give 404 errors and maybe that's it. I'll work on that.

Comments

• Options
    Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    Probably my "fault". Did an article yesterday on my site with a link to here. First thing someone does when they read a blog is click on the link. Then they may boomark and come back later to check it out.
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/
  • Options
    John MacdonaldJohn Macdonald Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    A tad of a PITA...
    I'd registered and chosen to have the site cookie me for ease of entry. Worked great till some point where the site decided it didn't recognize me.
    Don't think I kicked the cookie off my machine, but fwiw I just clicked around a bit and took off shortly afterwards each time.

This morning I saw your comment here and thought I'd note that.
    Might have happened elsewhere, might have nothing to do with the situarion.

Also noted this morning that the register button brought up a page that couldn't be displayed. Hadn't tried to find that page since I initally registered, but tried it out having read your note on this forum.
    That might be happening to some folks who could be wanting to register and join in on the fun.

For me, if skipping around the web isn't really easy and intuitive, the well trained *go elsewhere* reflex takes over and finds more fertile ground.

Just a thought...

Baldy wrote:
    Ever looked down at the stats for who's visiting? ...
  • Options
    Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    "Not logged in" = Guest
    Baldy et al
    For the life of me I cannot get Digitalgrin to recognize me when I return to the site. I have told my Zone Allarm to give all (even 3rd party) cookie access to Digitalgrin but ... nope. No matter. Do I need to manually delete some cookies to get things reset?
    I never have this problem at ADVRIDER or any other site that I am registered at.
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    Baldy et al
    For the life of me I cannot get Digitalgrin to recognize me when I return to the site. I have told my Zone Allarm to give all (even 3rd party) cookie access to Digitalgrin but ... nope. No matter. Do I need to manually delete some cookies to get things reset?
    I never have this problem at ADVRIDER or any other site that I am registered at.
    Try manually logging out and then logging back in.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Try manually logging out and then logging back in.
    Thanks cmr164
    Logged in out a couple of times. Deleted my bookmarks for the site and started "fresh". This seems to have worked. Musta been the bookmark as it had some huge string at the end of the url and now the url jsut has the .php? thing going.
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    Your bookmark should simply be www.dgrin.com.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    LoadedagainLoadedagain Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2004
    oops. i wasn't logged in. my bad.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 27, 2004
    I'm gonna install the next release in a few days and if we're lucky they fixed a bug that will make this problem go away.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 27, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm gonna install the next release in a few days and if we're lucky they fixed a bug that will make this problem go away.
    HI Baldy - we have communicated about my difficullty with being remembered by Dgrin (by email previously), even after logging in - some times for each new page on dgrin I click on I have to log in again.
    I am finally recognized now by dgrin - but now I have the same problem with advrider and I NEVER previously have had difficulties there. The main forum page at advrider says gday Pathfinder, but the next page down refuses me access to posting.
    I wonder if the same screen name on both sites contributes in some way. Obviously several of us ( wxwax, kbasa, baldy et al ) from advrider have chosen to continue with the same screen name on dgrin. Is this a source of potential conflict? I would prefer to keep the same moniker, but if is a source of digital conflict I could change. Anyone else with this observation? Wxwxa et al?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I wonder if the same screen name on both sites contributes in some way. Obviously several of us ( wxwax, kbasa, baldy et al ) from advrider have chosen to continue with the same screen name on dgrin. Is this a source of potential conflict? I would prefer to keep the same moniker, but if is a source of digital conflict I could change. Anyone else with this observation? Wxwxa et al?

No problems with retaining my login here or there. I am using Mac OS 10.2.8 with Safari v1.0.1 (v85.6).

I do get some weird caching issues, more on ADVrider than here, but it always remembers me.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    HI Baldy - we have communicated about my difficullty with being remembered by Dgrin (by email previously), even after logging in - some times for each new page on dgrin I click on I have to log in again.
    I am finally recognized now by dgrin - but now I have the same problem with advrider and I NEVER previously have had difficulties there. The main forum page at advrider says gday Pathfinder, but the next page down refuses me access to posting.

Dunno pathfinder ne_nau.gif I sure hope that the next fix that Baldy puts in helps solve the problem you're having. It's really strange that advrider is givng you the same problems.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2004
    It's andy's fault. nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    It's andy's fault. nod.gif
    But we're all used to blaming fish.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    But we're all used to blaming fish.
    :nono...different forum.