Error 99 !!

kimberlydawnkimberlydawn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited April 7, 2008 in Cameras
I have a Canon Rebel and I am getting the "Error99" message. From what I have read is that I am pretty much S-O-L!! I am not sure what could have caused this but does anyone know what may have caused it? What I can do to fix it myself? Or do I have to send it into Canon? I'm so mad! I have a wedding to shoot on May 3. I can borrow my friends camera, but you know how it is you like to use what you know. Please, help!! TIA!

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Have you turned it off...removed the battery for a few mins & re-tried it ?
  • kimberlydawnkimberlydawn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Have you turned it off...removed the battery for a few mins & re-tried it ?

Yes, I have. I actually took out the battery, charge it, used a different memory card, nothing. ne_nau.gif
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Try cleaning the lens contacts.

Take just a regular old pencil with a red rubber eraser. Detach the lens from the camera, hold it so that the lens’ contacts are pointing down and lightly erase their exposed surface, cleaning them of any hand oil that might have gotten on them.

Do the same thing with the gold contacts inside the camera body.

This method was found here.

HTH

-Jon
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    The same thing just happened to my Rebel. I just allowed it to be an oppertunity to upgrade to the 40D :D

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    I have a Canon Rebel and I am getting the "Error99" message. From what I have read is that I am pretty much S-O-L!! I am not sure what could have caused this but does anyone know what may have caused it? What I can do to fix it myself? Or do I have to send it into Canon? I'm so mad! I have a wedding to shoot on May 3. I can borrow my friends camera, but you know how it is you like to use what you know. Please, help!! TIA!

Nothing that a truck and an insurance company can't fix
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2008

err 99 is normally related to communication with the lens, not a comera problem. As mentioned clean the lens contacts, and try a diferent lens. you don't say what lens you are using but this can be more common with non canon lenses.
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.
    edited April 6, 2008
    I am using the lens that came with my canon. I only have the one so far cause I cant afford a new one... yet. I'm hoping a few more weddings.

As for getting a new camera, that is out of the question because my husband has been laid off of work quite often this year. *sigh* I hate money. lol

Thanks for the cleaning tip, I will try that today.
    edited April 6, 2008
    Well, thanks for the eraser tip, but it didnt work. I am going to go to the camera shop tomorrow and see what we can figure out. ne_nau.gif
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    I recently had the same problem Kimberley, had to have a warranty repair by Canon, the mirror box had to be replaced.

It sounds as though you've exhausted a lot of the possibilities so it may well be an internal camera fault.

I hope you're able to sort it out, I know how you're feeling, it's so frustrating.

Charlie
    edited April 7, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    I recently had the same problem Kimberley, had to have a warranty repair by Canon, the mirror box had to be replaced.

It sounds as though you've exhausted a lot of the possibilities so it may well be an internal camera fault.

I hope you're able to sort it out, I know how you're feeling, it's so frustrating.

Charlie

Thank you, Charlie. I am off to take it to the camera shop today to see what they say, think. I really cant afford a new one just yet. I'm so frustrated.