First image post

ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited April 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi all, I've been snooping around this forum for some time now and thought I should post some images.

I have to say since trying macro myself I am even more in awe of the photographers here. I now realise that the 'limited' DOF really is limited! How you guys manage above (or is it below?) 1:1 is beyond me.

Here are a few of my more recent attemps using the flash setup provided by Brian V. Please feel free to comment however you like.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Rod.
Rod
Bristol, UK.

Comments

• job3210job3210 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    You are on your way. Excellent startclap.gif
    Glenn
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 6, 2008
  • demarrendemarren Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    ColMofed wrote:
    Hi all, I've been snooping around this forum for some time now and thought I should post some images.

I have to say since trying macro myself I am even more in awe of the photographers here. I now realise that the 'limited' DOF really is limited! How you guys manage above (or is it below?) 1:1 is beyond me.

Here are a few of my more recent attemps using the flash setup provided by Brian V. Please feel free to comment however you like.
    Rod.

Nice pictures,seem you get the hang of it.
    1:1 macro is only possible with an 1:1 macro lens i use the sigma 50mm
    But have no luck in capture stunning Images with thad lens.
    Seem to me the lens is abit slow,or the licht is not thad good,and I realy need an ring flash.but the cost is abit high for the moment.

here is an picture with the sigma 50

275373541_EFumW-XL.jpg
  • ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Thanks
    Thank you for the comments guys.

I found it was more difficult getting the spiders in focus, as they were so small. I took quite a lot of shots, especially of the spiders, to get these few. But it was fun, and it must have looked strange to the few people that walk passed. :D
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    << Waht does that mean, 1:1 lense? >>

Typically, a lens (system / arrangement) that produces an image on the camera sensor that's the same size as the subject ... so a fly that's 5mm long in real life will be represented on the sensor by an image that's also 5mm long on that sensor.

This can be achieved by various means, ranging from dedicated macro lenses (designed for the job) or by reversing or extending a standard lens of suitable focal length,

Similarly, 1:2 indicates an image (on the sensor) half the size of the subject, and ..
    2:1 an image that's twice the subject size.

pp
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Wonderful series of shots- and good lighting :)

demarren you don't have to use a ringflash - I use a bracket mounted normal flash see http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/ for more info. I suspect your shot was taken in full bright sunlight which tends to give a lot of specular highlights.

Brian V.
  • vaio2006vaio2006 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    my first reaction: EW. ahaha I hate bugs!

But the shots are really nice
  • demarrendemarren Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Wonderful series of shots- and good lighting :)

demarren you don't have to use a ringflash - I use a bracket mounted normal flash see http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/ for more info. I suspect your shot was taken in full bright sunlight which tends to give a lot of specular highlights.

Brian V.

Thanks alot,just in time for spring.
    The info is most welcome,thank you.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    demarren wrote:
    Thanks alot,just in time for spring.
    The info is most welcome,thank you.

These are excellent shots. Great detail.
    Regards
    Bob
  • ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Thanks again
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. I should be out again in a couple of days looking for more woodlice, some good backgrounds, and, hopefully, something a little more unusual.
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    ColMofed wrote:

Rod.

Hi Rod, these shots look real good, especially the Slater Bug clap.gif
    Brian's tutorials and tips have helped many many folks, glad you were able to use them.

Nice to see your posting, and Im sure we will see more great things from you in the very near future.

Thanks for sharing your work, keep posting thumb.gif ...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin