Wedding Lens/NASCAR Lens

kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited April 8, 2008 in Cameras
Hello All! This will be 2 questions in one, with 2 totally different answers. I am just getting into the photography scene. Mainly just experimenting round the house and takng my camera where ever I go. My friend is having a wedding in a couple of months and I am doing some pictures for it for fun and wanted to know what inexpensive lens would be good to use for the event. The actual wedding is outside on the beach. 2nd question is that I am a huge nascar fan! And my hubby and I are attending an evening race this year and wanted to know the best lens for this. We will not be incredibly close to the action and might not be able to take a tripod, way to make things difficult, i know i know. Anyway, advice is much appreciated. Oh! Also, for the wedding, if there is a good, inexpensive small digital camera that I can have my hubby hold and be in control of, please let me know. Thanks so much!
Kara

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 6, 2008
    Hi Kara,

I see from a previous post that you have the Nikon 40D.

What lenses do you have now?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    HAHA! I guess that information might have been helpful, huh. mwink.gif Yes D40, with only 2 lenses, 8-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor lens and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor, I also have an external flash Nikon SB-800. I want to be able to get good glass before I worry about getting another camera body. For what I use my camera with now, it works, but I do want to expand. I hope this helps, and I will take any advice for lenses, accessories or anything else that might be helpful!
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    What is your definition of inexpensive? ie what is your budget?

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited April 6, 2008
    Those two lenses may be fine for an outdoor daylight wedding. If you are right on the beach, light sand will reflect any sunlight and add additionally to the scene.

Do try to get the to the scene before the wedding and determine what, if any, fill light is required of your flash. Practice on any willing subject.

If the ceremony is during true daylight your flash with a "scoop" modifier would probably work best if you need more dominant flash lighting. I don't think your camera supports an "FP" flash mode so you may need to get a neutral density filter to help attenuate ambient light.

If the ceremony is late in the day consider the use of filters for the flash to approximate the ambient WB.

As for an inexpensive digital camera for your husband, in good light there is an abundance of fairly nice P&S cameras on the market. Look for something with a fairly short shutter lag for best results on candids. Sony "W" and "T" series cameras are reported to have short lag times and the Canon Powershot "S" and "A" series are not too bad.

Once the light goes down, I would almost rather use a simple film camera than many digital P&S cameras.

For Nascar you need a very long lens unless you can get positioned closer to the action. AF may not be fast enough, especially for the D40, so you may need to pre-focus and time your shutter release to when the cars hit the focus point.

A Sigma 50-500mm, f/4-6.3 EX APO DG HSM "bigma" would probably make a pretty good auto-race lens. I would see if you can use a monopod for stability.
    ziggy53
    edited April 6, 2008
    I'm not doing very good job of helping yo guys help me. Inexpensive for now, hum, mabe you guys can give me your thoughts on 300$ or less. I know you get what you pay for, but right now, I take pictures for my own enjoyment. When I start getting money for pictures, then I will look into accessories more expensive. If there are helpful little gadgets that will help, you can let me know! Maybe now I have answered all the questions ne_nau.gif But you know, any price lens advice you can lend would be helpful and I can always look into more expensive if i need too.
    edited April 6, 2008
    kyeezie wrote:
    I'm not doing very good job of helping yo guys help me. Inexpensive for now, hum, mabe you guys can give me your thoughts on 300$ or less. ...

You might consider a 50mm prime lens. Both the Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D and the Nikkor 50mm, f1.4D are very nice, albeit manual focus on your camera.
    ziggy53
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    I second the 50mm 1.4 prime. Given what you already have, it's the only thing under 300 that will significantly expand your photographic capabilities, especially at a wedding.

Alternatively, you could stretch your budget a titch and get a 12-24 sigma ex lens.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    kyeezie wrote:
    I'm not doing very good job of helping yo guys help me. Inexpensive for now, hum, mabe you guys can give me your thoughts on 300$ or less. I know you get what you pay for, but right now, I take pictures for my own enjoyment. When I start getting money for pictures, then I will look into accessories more expensive. If there are helpful little gadgets that will help, you can let me know! Maybe now I have answered all the questions ne_nau.gif But you know, any price lens advice you can lend would be helpful and I can always look into more expensive if i need too.

Not wanting to discourge you.....but simply.....I would opt to sell that 55-200 and start looking for a Sigma 70-200f2.8.....now you may even find that you can manual focus faster than your D40 will autofocus....I have been a manual focuser for a very long time especially at weddings where the clothing doesn't have much contrast for the focus points to grab on too.......and I have been using a Siggy70-210f2.8 for over 20yrs in various incarnations (minolta, nikon and now again Konica Minolta..soon to be back with Nikon).....but if you are the least bit serious about shooting weddings then I suggest you need 2 lenses (both siggy or Nikon equivs when the money is there....) something like the 17-70 f2.8-4.5 and the 70-200 f2.8macro ......one of the lenses should be a macro for ring close ups and such.....those 2 lenses will do a perfect job for weddings and the 70-200 will do good for Nascar......how is the D40 for low light high iso......you may need a noie removing software like Noise ware or Noise Ninja for removing noise from nighttime Nascar.....just a thought.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 8, 2008
    No discouraging here, I need all the help and advice that I can get:D Thanks for all of your advice, I will look into everything that was suggested and see what I can come up with. Hopefully I will get some good pictures to post. Thanks again!