What happened to the size of my file?

shutterbugvlrshutterbugvlr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 9, 2008 in Technique
I purchased a new editing program for digital photo's, It is called Color Select. When it opens the photo in the program it has already converted it to Black and White. All you have to do is drag your mouse (brush) over the area to turn the color back on. This is what I do not understand, I start our with a 6.5 meg file in RAW. When I upload the photo to mpix for printing it is only 601KB. Is it because it does not have the info of the color?

Recolor_CopyofIMG_0013-1.jpg

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    I purchased a new editing program for digital photo's, It is called Color Select. When it opens the photo in the program it has already converted it to Black and White. All you have to do is drag your mouse (brush) over the area to turn the color back on. This is what I do not understand, I start our with a 6.5 meg file in RAW. When I upload the photo to mpix for printing it is only 601KB. Is it because it does not have the info of the color?

That and I'd say there must be quite a bit of jpeg compression going on. You could check the program's settings to confirm if that's it. Make sure your pictures are saved at full resolution as well.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • shutterbugvlrshutterbugvlr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 6, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    That and I'd say there must be quite a bit of jpeg compression going on. You could check the program's settings to confirm if that's it.
    I wish I could, but so far I have not been able to change any of the settings, It is a very small program. this is the website where I downloaded: https://www.magicsplash.com:cry I have sent several emails to there support site and none have been returned
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    You can figure out if it has been resized by checking the image dimensions(size) in pixels.....as compared to the original.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    This is a very simple way to answer this. But hopefully it helps you visualize what I'm saying.

In this case, it's more about color than compression.

I'd be willing to bet there are only 256 shades of black in this image. (from absolute black to absolute white) (aka greyscale)

When you start dealing with color in images this number increases exponentially since your dealing with 256 to the third power (or 16,777,216).

So if you took an image with the SAME EXACT amount of color redrawn back into it, the final file size will be larger. If it was all red and no blue, the file would be even smaller than your image you have now.

This coupled w/ JPEG compression makes this a very small image.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008
    An image editing program that will not let the user set image file quality levels, and, hence, image file size, is of very limited value to a photographer concerned about image quality.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin