Silver Ink Sea

CarlCam5CarlCam5 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited April 7, 2008 in Landscapes
Would love to hear your thoughts on this one please:

168017533_sHngS-L.jpg
regards,
Carl

--
Carpe diem, or Seize the day.. ...with a photo or two - there's no better way.
:oogle:oogle:rofl:oogle:oogle

Comments

• ATGATG Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Very, very nice. I love the soft subtle colors combined with the sharpness in the water and the gull. Excellent shot, congratulations.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    This is just my humble opinion so don't read too much into it. You've
    already recieved a great feedback and here I go counter to it.

I think there are interesting apects to the photo but overall the composition
    and underexposue are not working for me. I like the near seagull and the
    far lighthouse and horizon above it.
    Perhaps a tightish verticle crop that contains these simple elements.
    Then, I think, the larger job is pulling any "pop" or other artistic touches
    into the photo with an image editor. Remember, this is just my 2 cents
    that you can easily pitch into the trash. bowdown.gif Michael
    Michael
  • CarlCam5CarlCam5 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    2X10D wrote:
    Very, very nice. I love the soft subtle colors combined with the sharpness in the water and the gull. Excellent shot, congratulations.

Many thanks for this 2x10D - much appreciated!
    It was very low light and this was with a leica c-lux 2 a while ago. I was personally quite pleased with the way the water looked.
    thanks again,

regards,
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--
    edited April 7, 2008
    Feedback is always welcome
    DaddyO wrote:
    This is just my humble opinion so don't read too much into it. You've
    already recieved a great feedback and here I go counter to it.

I think there are interesting apects to the photo but overall the composition
    and underexposue are not working for me. I like the near seagull and the
    far lighthouse and horizon above it.
    Perhaps a tightish verticle crop that contains these simple elements.
    Then, I think, the larger job is pulling any "pop" or other artistic touches
    into the photo with an image editor. Remember, this is just my 2 cents
    that you can easily pitch into the trash. bowdown.gif Michael

Hi Michael, don't worry - i am thick skinned mwink.gif and looking to improve!.
    I had not really looked at some of the aspects that you mention as i was concentrating on the sea each time i looked at this one. I'll have to try a little PP and see if i can make 'em pop! But leavng the water as is.... ;-)

Many thanks,
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    nice
    I lik it, it works for me, but I do think that a portrait crop might make a diffrence. Leve the coast near the top 1/3 then sea before it, might give it a lonly overpowing sea feeling. Just my thoughts.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    I love the title of this photo because you're right, the water does look like mercury. :D

I understand what you're saying about wanting to keep the water as-is while maybe lightening the rest of it. It does look a little underexposed - mainly because the highlights just aren't as bright as our eyes would expect sun on water to be. Love the grey nature of it, nonetheless.

Have you experimented with this photo using a greyscale conversion? When I first saw this, my instinct was that playing around with the color values in a b/w conversion would be able to draw out all the great gory little details in the water while giving it the pop it needs. There are lots of blues and yellows there (and even reds) that can be separated using this method. The warm yellowish tone could be added afterwards via luminosity toning.

Just a thought. thumb.gif
    edited April 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I love the title of this photo because you're right, the water does look like mercury. :D

I understand what you're saying about wanting to keep the water as-is while maybe lightening the rest of it. It does look a little underexposed - mainly because the highlights just aren't as bright as our eyes would expect sun on water to be. Love the grey nature of it, nonetheless.

Have you experimented with this photo using a greyscale conversion? When I first saw this, my instinct was that playing around with the color values in a b/w conversion would be able to draw out all the great gory little details in the water while giving it the pop it needs. There are lots of blues and yellows there (and even reds) that can be separated using this method. The warm yellowish tone could be added afterwards via luminosity toning.

Just a thought. thumb.gif

And what a great thought!
    Thanks Shmoo - i will definitely be trying some of these ideas out on this shot. I really appreciate your feedback.

Watch out for version #2 to be posted as soon as i get some time to some PP.

In terms of the light - it may be underexposure, or the fact that the light was really getting low, but that seemed to bring the metallic tones of the water out, so i am not complaining.

all the best - and I'm glad you liked the title.
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--