This is so much fun....

craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited April 7, 2008 in People
My kids hate me.:rolleyes What am I doing right? What am I doing wrong? What am I doing?.....

MorgenJames4-6-2008169.jpg

KarLeeGrace4-6-2008250.jpg

KarLeeGrace4-6-008313.jpg

BrennaErin4-6-2008361.jpg
Tracy :rofl
Canon Stuff
www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    very nice. Great lighting. nice expressions. the last one has a bit of headroom on top.
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Wow, Thanks Josh. I worked so hard on the lighting. Too hard. I have none (not photography wise anyhow) so I was worried about it. My baby's room has a whole wall of window and It was over cast and rainy today. I bounced my on board flash off of the cieling with folded tissue paper that I hand held while my camera was on the tripod...lol (not tp, the kind you wrap presents in...lol). I am currently with out an off camera flash right now. I had a little table lamp that I diffused with more of the tissue to warm it up a little....I should have taken a picture of the set up. I am sure it would have gotten a few giggles....
    Canon Stuff
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    i tape a piece of paper to the back fo the flash and point it straigh up for pretty good results. If you crank the iso as high the cameral will allow without noise (aobutg 400 on my xti) you get more room light. Again, nice pics.
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Thanks for the tip...!
    Canon Stuff
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    About the photos:

Right:
    • Light - very nice/sweet window light.
    • You have some fill going on here and it's well balanced
    • Your models are relaxed and look like them - I think?
    • Focus is wonderful - dead on to my eye
    Wrong:
    • The shots are very centered. Look up rule of thirds.
    About the flash - Josh has some of it right:
    • Pointing the flash up is a good idea.
    • Putting a white card behind the flash is a good idea. Google "Better Bounce Card" for a good and cheap way to get this done.
    Mixing flash with ambient isn't about ISO. Here are some things to keep in mind...

When you change the ISO, you change the sensitivity of the sensor to both ambient and flash in equal proportion. Result, you haven't effected the relative proportions of these light sources in the image.

The lens aperture controls the amount of both ambient and flash light that registers on the sensor.

Because the flash fires so much faster than the shutter has any hope of opening and closing, the shutter controls only the amount of ambient light that reaches the sensor.

The net result of the above is that once you have selected the ISO, The photographer uses aperture to control the amount of flash and uses the shutter speed to control the amount of ambient so registered. Changing the ISO does not favor either flash or ambient over the other.

So, when you are trying to mix/balance ambient with flash you need to:
    • Select an ISO
    • Meter to determine the aperture you would like to use.
    • Determine the shutter speed you would like to use. The slower the shutter, the more subject motion blur you will get, but also the more ambient light you will get. This will avoid the "shooting in a cave" look.
    • Set the power of your flash(es) to match the selected aperture.
    • If you have time, take a test shot and see if you get the lighting effect you are looking for and, if not, make appropriate adjustments.
    BTW - Remember - you need to check out everything you read on the forums to verify it. Only then can you rely on it.