Options

Copy Stand

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited March 29, 2004 in Accessories
Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive copy stand?
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    If anyone else is like me, and has never heard of a copy stand, here's what it is.

Fish, what do you plan to shoot with it? Macro stuff?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    I guess $72 ain't bad.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    If anyone else is like me, and has never heard of a copy stand, here's what it is.
    Cool link Waxy - Maybe we could set up a permanent place on dgrin to store great links for digital Photograph.....

lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cool link Waxy - Maybe we could set up a permanent place on dgrin to store great links for digital Photograph.....

lickout.gif
    That's not a bad idea. My Bookmarks are starting to overflow.
    Sid.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Fish, what do you plan to shoot with it? Macro stuff?
    Exactly. Flat stuff, specifically, like coins, currency, old photographs, etc. It's a real hassle setting up the tripod to do that.

The $72 job you posted is essentially the right idea, but I wouldn't mind coughing up a few more clams for something a leetle more sophisticated. I'd love to be able to use my pan/tilt tripod head on it with the spirit levels, and the arm should be geared to make it easy to get to 1:1. With a narrow DOF, it's critical that the focal plane is absolutely parallel to the subject, and incremental height adjustments should be precise.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 29, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Exactly. Flat stuff, specifically, like coins, currency, old photographs, etc. It's a real hassle setting up the tripod to do that.

The $72 job you posted is essentially the right idea, but I wouldn't mind coughing up a few more clams for something a leetle more sophisticated. I'd love to be able to use my pan/tilt tripod head on it with the spirit levels, and the arm should be geared to make it easy to get to 1:1. With a narrow DOF, it's critical that the focal plane is absolutely parallel to the subject, and incremental height adjustments should be precise.
    You will be wanting a focusing rail next - It is for you to meet www.reallyrightstuff.com They have first rate stuff for tripods and macro work.

A copy stand can be a big help, but they take up a lot of space when you are not using them DAMHIK --- Sometimes you can just use a tripod with the macro and a focusing rail and tape the flat printer matter on the wall - Use windowlight or reflectors for illumination - tungsten lighting gets hot when you are standing over it....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin