$4.99 solution to a problem. Yeah!

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited April 8, 2008 in Holy Macro
These aren’t the greatest images, but I thought I would share my cheap solution to photographing in a light drizzle. Went out driving west from my house to try and get away from the rain…. Stopped to get some flash batteries, and found what I have been searching for… a hands free umbrella. It clamps right onto my monopod. The light was gone by the time the rain let up enough for me to test it out so the images are not great, but the rig worked perfect and I hope to be able to get some cool images using it.
Also I was thinking I might even be able to use this to bonce the flash off of the inside of the umbrella....might work! Cant wait to try it again. MM

275807622_Euodf-L.jpg

275807635_LVEPz-L.jpg

275807590_gQaMW-L.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Actually kool shots....what brand is the umbrella and the fact that it is silver(sorta) lined can't hurt a bit...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Neat find :) - looks like it has some type of universal pole clamp ?
    Brian V.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    It does not have a "Brand"
    It’s an el cheapo probably made in China. Here is a link to one that looks just like it (I am almost positive it’s the same). The one online is $12.95 but CVS has them for $4.99. Not the best quality but for $5 I can afford to break it. MM

http://www.beachstore.com/Beach-Products/Clamp-On-Umbrellas/Clamp-on-Beach-Umbrella-Brite
    Art Scott wrote:
    Actually kool shots....what brand is the umbrella and the fact that it is silver(sorta) lined can't hurt a bit...................
    — Lord Byron
    edited April 7, 2008
    Yes like a cheap C clamp.
    Dont know how long it will last but for $5 I wont mind replacing it. It rain all day yesterday and I was able to atleast get a couple of images in before it got to dark. I was thinking it might even work to block a light breeze. MM :o)

Neat find :) - looks like it has some type of universal pole clamp ?
    Brian V.
    — Lord Byron
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Wow - that's really great! I was shooting a soccer game the other day in drizzle and had to hold an umbrella with one hand while shooting with the other on my monopod - my gear is not moisture tight so I had to protect it with the umbrella. I'm definately going to look into this at CVS.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Looks like one of those beach umbrellas, that you clamp onto your folding chair... i'll hafta add one of these to my supplies. I shoot fire/ems photography and when it rains, lots of mva's... so its a little tricky to shoot. I have a rain cover but auto focus is nealy impossible due to the plastic barrier and the cover gets foggy cause of my hands.
    edited April 8, 2008
    Thats exactly what it is!
    Works great so far, I even tried it as a reflector. Shooting the flash up into the open umbrella and having the light bounce back at the subject. Seemed to work OK. What do you think? MM
    276870134_Hm3XW-L.jpg

Vycor wrote:
    Looks like one of those beach umbrellas, that you clamp onto your folding chair... i'll hafta add one of these to my supplies. I shoot fire/ems photography and when it rains, lots of mva's... so its a little tricky to shoot. I have a rain cover but auto focus is nealy impossible due to the plastic barrier and the cover gets foggy cause of my hands.
    — Lord Byron