One database to rule them all

randusnuderrandusnuder Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited April 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Is there any way to upload mypictures to smugmug, and then simply point to them from all the different galleries?

I have several pictures I use in many different galleries, and have found it tedious to make second copies, and then move those second copies to other galleries. COming from a Database background, it seems like a logical approach would be to upload all of a user's pictures to a single database, and then simply provide pointers to each picture as needed in a gallery. This would save disk space, albeit at the cost of a DBA-type person,.

My questions are:
  1. Was this approach looked at and voted against?
  2. Is there a better way to use a single imagea cross multiple galleries, other than creating a second copy, etc, etc?
Thanks!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Is there any way to upload mypictures to smugmug, and then simply point to them from all the different galleries?

I have several pictures I use in many different galleries, and have found it tedious to make second copies, and then move those second copies to other galleries. COming from a Database background, it seems like a logical approach would be to upload all of a user's pictures to a single database, and then simply provide pointers to each picture as needed in a gallery. This would save disk space, albeit at the cost of a DBA-type person,.

My questions are:
    1. Was this approach looked at and voted against?
    2. Is there a better way to use a single imagea cross multiple galleries, other than creating a second copy, etc, etc?
    Thanks!

This capability is asked for often by Smugmug customers. I've asked for it myself several times. Smugmug hasn't said yes or no to doing it sometime in the future and has certainly heard the request. As of this time, I do not know of any better way other than making a second physical copy of the image which is definitely awkward in Smugmug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I think http://www.zenfolio.com works the way you are asking.
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    ...I do not know of any better way other than making a second physical copy of the image which is definitely awkward in Smugmug.
    Worse still...you have 'copy' and 'move to', but not 'copy into', which would eliminate a step by allowing you to create a copy of picture x in gallery y...that would certainly make it less cumbersome.
  • randusnuderrandusnuder Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Thanks for the information on past requests.

I imagine that a major overhaul would be required to switch from individual galleries, to a central DB with pointers. I can only imagine what kind of undertaking it would require behind the scenes.

And on the copy/move workflow, I have had pictures get "lost" during the move. Forcing me to RECOPY, and MOVE AGAIN. I may be nitpicky, but neither of those processes is very speedy, or intuitive.

Thanks for all y'alls input.
    R