New 100-400L IS Lens!

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited April 8, 2008 in Cameras
Just got my new trombone today. What a jackass I've been. I let the "dust sucker" and "quirky zoom" comments that I have read keep me from this lens.

I can see that this is the one I should have had all along. I can visualize a bird in flight coming towards me and having the ability to zoom wider to keep it in the frame. Pulling the zoom towards you can be easily accomplished without much shake.

Time will tell, but this light weight flexible lens seems to me to be just what I needed. I'm tickled to death!

The dust part I don't see as a problem since it's going to be on the 40D 95% of the time and the places I go are rarely dusty. Birds like water!

Also I got Lens Coat for this and my 400 DO IS and also wonder what took me so long. I've actually lightened my pack since I don't need so many dividers to keep from scratching the gear up.

I'll use the DO on my 1DMKIIN and use a 1.4 TC with a mono pod or occasionally a tripod and handhold the 100-400 most of the time.:clap

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Just got my new trombone today. What a jackass I've been. I let the "dust sucker" and "quirky zoom" comments that I have read keep me from this lens.
    Congrats on a good choice!

I've had one of those for a couple of years now, it's pretty damn good. Cost me an upgrade to the normal zoom as well though :D

It's not a dust pump either. I've had to clean the rear element once and my sensor once - the shutter is usually closed anyway. And when I accidentaly put my 20D into a puddle, I used it to pump dry air through the body rolleyes1.gif
    Try it, on a non-sealed body there's air moving in and out through the back buttons and everywhere else lol3.gif . The body and lens still work btw.

A word about the zoom in practise: it works.

And if you set the fancy adjustable zoom friction just so and practise a little bit, it's possible to accurately zoom without touching the lens. If nothing else it'll get some laughs from people next to you as you knock it out to full :D

Here's a tip for carrying it around more comfortably.

Happy shooting and don't forget to post the piccies!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 7, 2008
    Congratulations Ric. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Congratulations, Ric! I've been using one of those for a couple of years now, and while the birds I shoot are usually jet-powered, I am very happy with the results I get.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Nice one Ric - looking forward to the pics!
  • OzoneOzone Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Congrats! You will soon be stopping strangers on the street with "Hey, look at this shot!" just as I have been doing since I bought mine! :Drolleyes1.gif
    Ozone
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 8, 2008
    Woo hoo, new toy wings.gif. I've been lusting after that one for a while now. Maybe later this year. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Cheers,