Nikon Lenses...

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited April 9, 2008 in Cameras
Looking to upgrade some glass in the nearing future, and had a few questions.

1) Canon has the "L" designation for pro-grade gear. Is there a Nikon equivalent?

2) Is VR worth it?

3) Where do you buy Nikon lenses (B&H doesn't seem to have but a fraction of the lenses on the NikonUSA website...)

Thanks!
Matt:thumb
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 7, 2008
    Looking to upgrade some glass in the nearing future, and had a few questions.

1) Canon has the "L" designation for pro-grade gear. Is there a Nikon equivalent?

In Nikon the AF-S zooms are a pretty good hint to quality. Also look for constant aperture, especially around f2.8 for the shorter zooms. Price is another good indicator.

As usual, there are exceptions so start searching here, especially for DX applications:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

2) Is VR worth it?

VR is lens-based image stabilization and it can help prevent "camera shake". It does nothing for subject motion blur due to slow shutter speed. A tripod is a much better solution if applicable.

3) Where do you buy Nikon lenses (B&H doesn't seem to have but a fraction of the lenses on the NikonUSA website...)

Thanks!
    Mattthumb.gif

B&H handles most of the popular lenses. Don't discount third party lenses, some are quite good.

Adorama is another good source, and KEH is a great vendor for used lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • OzoneOzone Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    The best thing to do is to sell all of your Nikon stuff and buy Canon bodies and "L" glass! rolleyes1.gifSeriously, I think that Ziggy has put you on the right path.
    Ozone
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    we use a canon XTi at work, and I just can't get comfortable with it. It doesn't feel good in my hands. Plus a lot of the Nikon controls seem to be more ergonomic and functional than the XTi.

I should have just said up front "Leave the Canon stuff at the door, thanks"
    :D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Nikon "pro" glass usually has the gold ring on the lens.

I usually buy my lenses at B&H, Adorma,Calumet or Ritz.

I find VR worth it when it is a lens I'll be shooting by hand.

For reviews of Nikon lenses check here or here or here or here.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    clap.gif I was waiting for the ziggy/harryb 1-2 punch. Gold ring, got it.

THANKS EVERYONE!

~Herbert Keppler