Bug mix 7th April

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited April 10, 2008 in Holy Macro
Some bugs seem to have survived the minor blizzard we had here on Sunday morning (about 3" of snow).

Brian V.

7-spot ladybird

2396951422_c702c35089_o.jpg

Baby globular springtail about 0.6mm body length

2397372175_244a3d4d9a_o.jpg

Plant hopper nymph pretending to be statue- about 2.5mm long

2397372187_53536f3621_o.jpg

Wolf spider smiling for the camera

2397387743_817c54d238_o.jpg

Gall wasp 2.4 mm body length

2398227590_9b9c1ee351_o.jpg

Cross-eye stereogram of above

2398227594_61908999b3_b.jpg

Comments

• ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Wonderful images. There is a lot of depth in the 7-spot ladybird image. Amazing.
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    ColMofed wrote:
    Wonderful images. There is a lot of depth in the 7-spot ladybird image. Amazing.

Thanks Rod :)

The ladybird shot is focus stacked from 2 shots - I wanted to show the hairy bum
    Brian V.
  • couriermancourierman Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    all great shots Brian,love the spingtail
    Click here to see >>>>My Photos :photo

Canon EOS 40D, MP-E 65 2.8, Sigma EM-140 DG
    Canon EOS 400D Firmware 1.1.1,EF-S 18 55,EF 28 105,Sigma 150 EX DG APO macro,Sigma 70 300 APO DG
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Some bugs seem to have survived the minor blizzard we had here on Sunday morning (about 3" of snow).

Brian V.

7-spot ladybird
    Baby globular springtail about 0.6mm body length
    Plant hopper nymph pretending to be statue- about 2.5mm long
    Wolf spider smiling for the camera
    Gall wasp 2.4 mm body length
    Cross-eye stereogram of above

I love those little Springtails you find, they would have to be my most favourite bug that I love to see you post here on Dgrin Brian nod.gif
    Excellent Series from you yet again :D .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    I'm with Skippy--I just love those springtails. Not sure why--so ugly they're cute?

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    tlee wrote:
    I'm with Skippy--I just love those springtails. Not sure why--so ugly they're cute?

Those shots are as incredible as ever. I only feel I am reiterating everything I say. But nevertheless, you certainly are an inspiration to this Forum Brian and I can only applaud you once again.clap.gif

Regards
    Bob
  • 46thga46thga Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Ok Brian - I must know. What is the secret to getting shots like the Ladybird photo above? The colors are vibrant, the details are amazing, and sharpness is outstanding. It looks like a wax sculpture instead of a photo.

Is it the lighting that makes it so nice? Is it post processing? (I don't think so.) Is it magic?

I've read some about your technique in the helpful articles you have posted and seen your camera/flash setup as well. I'll keep trying, but not sure if I'll ever have macros that approach the clarity and vibrancy of yours.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    This series is incredible. Hats off! thumb.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everybody - much appreciated :D

I gather from our springtail expert that the baby springtail might not be a baby but just a male which in this species is smaller than the female :). Females go to 1mm long males goto 0.6 mm long !

46thga - Not sure I have any secrets- they are all on the web somewhere. I very rarely play with colour/ saturation at all although with the ladybird shot I did drop the colour temp down to 5200'C to make it look more like a natural light shot (flash tends to make them a bit warmer). All the shots are focus stacked apart from the springtail. This allows me to use fairly open apertures to get the detail (avoids diffraction softening) without losing the DOF. I suspect that my lighting setups do help light up the background more than some even though I'm just using a single flash.

Brian V.